Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 13.2 % ❤ 10.1 % :thumbsup: 5.3 % 😯 1.1 % :grinning: 8.5 % 🙏 7.9 % 😟 47.1 % :cry: 6.9 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By satnav
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Last week was pretty awful at school because staff had spent most of the week preparing resources or Year 11s who were meant to be taking their exams in May and then on Wednesday night the government pulled the rug from under us by announcing that schools were closing and the exams were cancelled. The schools had no prior warning so on Thursday morning we had to cope with lots of Year 11 pupils who didn't have a clue what was happening. The had working students were gutted whilst the slackers were pretty pleased. Then on Friday we had lots of Years 7 pupils in tears because after struggling to make friends for nearly 2 terms they were saying good bye to friends they might not see for nearly 5 months.

Because of the chaos and uncertainty over how many pupils would be in on Monday the head told all staff to turn up on Monday morning for a briefing. Fortunately only 13 pupils actually turned up so the head drew up a rota that means most staff will only actually need to go in once every three weeks which was a great relief for everybody. Luckily for me I was at the top of the rota so I managed to get my day out of the way very quickly. After all the recent stress it was really nice to spend a very relaxing day with 13 really nice kids.

Today I got up early got to the shops by 7 and then enjoyed a lovely 20km run in the sun before spending the afternoon in the garden. The only downsides at the moment are the fact that I want to sort out the garden but all the garden centres and DIY shops are closed and I'm desperate to find a new job in a different school but there is little chance of that happening until September. So I will just have to spend the next three or four weeks chilling and hope that some new jobs do come up once things eventually return to normality.
Malcolm Armsteen, AOB, Oblomov and 2 others liked this

By Oblomov
Morning all, still well here in spite of another poor night of sleep.

Mixed up my routine but taking my morning coffee in the garden to bask in a bit of sunshine and what birdsong could be heard between the basement being built next door and the plasterboard being installed in the flat above.

By The Red Arrow
What ho, groovers!

Due back at work tonight to see out four shifts notice. No word from employer, ambiguous advice from H.M Government. I'm going to tell them to stuff it on the grounds that it's pointless O.M.A self-isolating if I'm in and out of the house like a yo-yo - regardless of my own health. We've had a chat, and worked out we can just about get by until better times. I could have done with another week's wages in the kitty, but ho-hum.

Sun's out, birds are singing and the teabag stocks are holding out. What more can a chap ask for under the circumstances? Stay calm, stay safe, my lovelies.
Boiler, Malcolm Armsteen, Oblomov and 5 others liked this

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Putting my selfish head on for a mo, there is an upside to this situation. On my morning commutes I have these beautiful sunny, frosty mornings to myself. The roads are empty, the birdies are singing. It's a joy to be out on a bike.

<edit to remove a spurious "so">

By Boiler
The Red Arrow wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:17 am

Goodnight, John Boy. :)
Typical of the trivia to be expected from oi: the family radio that features in The Waltons commands very high prices even now (it's a Zenith 7S232 or 9S232)
Samanfur liked this

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
There you go Boiler, in the midst of all that's happening.......you've still got what gets you up in the morning

By bluebellnutter
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:31 pm
We had that Oliver Reed in our pub once.
Would it not technically be more accurate to suggest the pub was inside Oliver Reed?
Oblomov, lambswool liked this

By The Red Arrow
Well, that's it. Deed done. Have told boss that I'll worry about final wage slip and P45 next week and be in touch.

"Obviously, you won't get paid for this week"

"No shit, Sherlock."

Twelve wasted years.

Now can I have some me time? It's all I want.

By Malcolm Armsteen
bluebellnutter wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:44 am
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:31 pm
We had that Oliver Reed in our pub once.
Would it not technically be more accurate to suggest the pub was inside Oliver Reed?
Now you mention it..

Sorry it had to end like that, 'Arrer.

Just had the Ocado delivery - everything on a big list except bread and Lemsip. I'll learn to live without bread and we've loads of paracetamol. Apparently my task today is to flamethrower the weeds on the (or, more accurately, between the) paving stones in the garden.

I went to Ocado's website to see if I could book a delivery for 10 days' time and there was a queue of 21,000. I think I'll leave it to later.
Oblomov liked this

By crabcakes_windermere
Sitrep. I'm OK, daughter OK and coping really well with home schooling. Mrs C. is a fair bit stressed, as one of her work colleagues has got it, and has a laundry list of pre-existing conditions that means if she gets a bad case she's really in the shit. She also has to go back into work a fair bit next week - thankfully not patient-facing, but as an NHS engineer she might be seconded to set up/repair ventilators and the like. Or at the rate things are going, make them blue peter style out of snorkels and hand-held vacuum cleaners.

Glad everyone is holding it together.
Oblomov, Boiler, Arrowhead liked this
Twat of the Day

Someone obviously couldn't get tinfoil from the su[…]

Labour leader rivals asked to film victory speech[…]

You'd have thought with his brain pills he'd have […]

Meanwhile, in Hungary...

Zero. Poland would veto it.