Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 14.7 % ❤ 9.8 % :thumbsup: 3.4 % 😯 1 % :grinning: 10.9 % 🧥 0.4 % 🙏 8.8 % 😟 47.3 % :cry: 3.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Part of me is thinking that the Derbyshire Dales are arch Tory country, Edwina Currie's old stamping ground. The sort of place where people will contact the media if they feel under the slightest hint of pressure from the cops, who they think ought to be knocking heads together in Derby city centre.
By satnav
Had a very productive start to the day getting to the Co-op at 7 while most of the shelves were still well stocked. Since I was there last week they have installed protective screen at the tills and they have a member of staff who meets you at the door with hand sanitizer and there are cones near the till to ensure people are keeping two metres apart. After unpacking my shopping at home I managed to squeeze in a 10 mile run and made an impromptu visit to Home Bargains in search of dried pasta and self raising flour. I couldn't find what I wanted but still managed to spend £15 on bits and bobs. Soon after arriving back home I had a phone call from my mum telling me that I had become a great uncle because my nephew's partner had given birth to a baby boy in the early hours of the morning.

Since then the day as been fairly quiet and mundane I think by the end of the week I will be resorting to afternoon naps and Countdown.
Cyclist, Catkins, Arrowhead and 1 others liked this

By spoonman
All is still comparatively calm in the spoony compound. Speaking to my da, the first appointment from his follow up from chemotherapy next week has been cancelled - the doctor overseeing him has told his to simply keep taking his prescription medication and that he'll hopefully see him again no later than September. Also got word that a cousin of mine based in Belfast, whom I'd last met a month ago, has tested +ve for COVID-19. She's a couple of years younger than me and is quite fit/healthy, but her, her husband (whom also is showing symptoms) and their two children are now effectively in solid lock down.

By Catkins
Afternoon. Gave blood this morning as it was a chance to get out of the house and experience a better choice of biscuit. The donor centre could only do 6 people at a time due to social distancing. The nurse who took my blood said that she'd packed her husband off to his parents as she was front-line NHS staff, and they were doing dinner parties via Skype in the evening.

Detoured back home via the local Waitrose. Would say it was about 85% stocked with even the non-essential stuff like fresh herbs, although the wine section is looking rather depleted.

By Boiler
Catkins wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:02 pm
Detoured back home via the local Waitrose. Would say it was about 85% stocked with even the non-essential stuff like fresh herbs, although the wine section is looking rather depleted.
If my laptop starts slurring its words it's because it just had half a glass of my plum eau-de-vie, which displeased me a lot. Luckily, it's designed to be liquid-proof.

I'd like to go to Waitrose one day, but it's eight miles away and I suspect the local plod would say "you've got a Tesco on your doorstep where you come from, so shop there."

By KevS
Went to Sainsburys today. It was like 1954. "After you, no you go first, whoops, pardon me" etc etc etc. Several instances of doing the two metre two-step to try and keep our distances. Very odd atmosphere.

By Samanfur
Whereas my local Sainsburys resembled the queue for the last chopper out of Saigon the last time I went in.

Tesco, however, resembled something more like Takeshi's Castle, with a one-way system and sanitiser station on the doors, and taped social distancing markers on the floor.

I know which approach I prefer.

By Boiler
Sorry to hear that. I think that in three months the situation will have changed, but to what I have no idea.

(p.s. which particular Brush 4 is that in your avatar?)

To show that life goes on regardless of what us humans do, the pyracantha in the garden looks lovely:
Pyracantha.jpg
Pyracantha.jpg (278.67 KiB) Viewed 682 times

...and I had an e-mail from my accountant asking for details of expenditure to go in my P11D claim by the first week of May :(
Samanfur, Oblomov liked this
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Still working, our depot is now down to a skeleton staff of five, one of which is me.

I feel, in a small way, that I'm trying to make a contribution to keeping the services going, after all if NHS or pharmacy and food delivery vehicles are off the road due to lack of parts, it wouldn't be good, and we've been given a letter to explain that we are, loosely, key workers in case we get stopped

The real heroes are the front line health workers, they are doing the most fantastic work and they have my utmost respect
Zuriblue, spoonman, Snowflake and 6 others liked this

By Kreuzberger
mr angry manchester wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:43 pm
Still working, our depot is now down to a skeleton staff of five, one of which is me.

I feel, in a small way, that I'm trying to make a contribution to keeping the services going, after all if NHS or pharmacy and food delivery vehicles are off the road due to lack of parts, it wouldn't be good, and we've been given a letter to explain that we are, loosely, key workers in case we get stopped

The real heroes are the front line health workers, they are doing the most fantastic work and they have my utmost respect
Mate, seriously. You are a key worker and every much deserving of that accolade. Without people like you, the country would grind to a halt.

Do it. Do it to the best of your ability - for you and yours, for all the people on here, for my own family and friends. You're my hero.
Boiler, Cyclist, mr angry manchester and 2 others liked this

By Kreuzberger
The signs are that we are increasingly likely to be looking at a lockdown until at least 19.04. It will be decided tomorrow, if the Berlin state authorities can reach agreement.

I am in full agreement with this, (from within a cosseted 109 m2 apartment with balconies front and back, and everything we need within a radius of 300m), even though this is going to severely impact upon the city's economy. The city is placing lives ahead of anything else and the Federal government is being as supportive as it can be. It is all part of @Andy McDandy 's "arse-handed theory". Germany saved and it is pissing down like there is no end in sight.
Rishi Sunak

Red Rishi making an announcement at 12.30 today, p[…]

Labour, Generally.

Saw some random tweeter saying why hadn't Corbyn b[…]

Priti Patel

"Oh, I don't mind the Gyppoes, it's the blood[…]

Boris Johnson

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/b0280019db5b64cef1[…]