Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 15.1 % ❤ 9.9 % :thumbsup: 3.5 % 😯 1.1 % :grinning: 10.2 % 🧥 0.1 % 🙏 8.1 % 😟 47.8 % :cry: 4.1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Boiler
I remember that in active service on the ECML in my youth - and my elder brother remembers it as a brand new locomotive, D1500 :)

Despite being a Deltic man, I had a soft spot for two other Sulzer-engined locos; these and the class 25. The 47 was a loco that looked most striking in two-tone green, IMO.

Thank you for keeping it running.

By slilley
Membership Days Membership Days
I do like my Deltics as well. For me 2nd Jan 1982 has a particular resonnace. I'll say no more.
My grandparents house backed onto the ECML between Oakleigh Park and New Barnet so the soundtrack of my childhood was them going past. On a cold night you would hear them for miles.
Boiler liked this
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Stay positive and stay well, mailwatch brigade. Let's not let this situation get us down

I don't have the time to get bothered about it as I'm working and come home to son pestering me to play football in the garden, then there's some model kits to work on, Arrer will know how much time these can take up!

I'm not worried about getting it personally as I have the opposite of health anxiety, I have health don't give a fuck, I eat all sorts of unhealthy crap and I just never seem to get ill.

We are mailwatch, we are an oasis of sanity in a mad world. :D
spoonman, The Red Arrow, Cyclist and 4 others liked this

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Some of my old spotting sites between Arlesey and Sandy are still accessible. I spent many happy hours during school holidays sitting and watching trains go by. My favourites were the Deltics. It was a sad day when they were withdrawn. I have an as-yet unframed print of one of David Weston's Deltic paintings, which will be going on the wall later this year.
Attachments
s-l225.jpg
s-l225.jpg (7.64 KiB) Viewed 480 times
mr angry manchester, Boiler, Samanfur and 1 others liked this

By Boiler
slilley wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:40 pm
I do like my Deltics as well. For me 2nd Jan 1982 has a particular resonnace. I'll say no more.
My grandparents house backed onto the ECML between Oakleigh Park and New Barnet so the soundtrack of my childhood was them going past. On a cold night you would hear them for miles.
I lived near the ECML, in a village near Peterborough. And like you, I would lie in bed and listen out for them on a cold night.

The date has an added significance for me: rather than attend the 18th birthday party of a girl at school, I spent the early evening by the railway line with my cassette recorder before going home.

I ended up marrying the girl whose 18th birthday party I never attended.
Cyclist, The Red Arrow, Samanfur and 1 others liked this

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Took the week's bottles down to the recycling pods. "The Walk of Shame", doesn't begin to cover it. People were socially distancing.

Grabbed a bottle of new season Grappa on the way back up. Acceptable.
The Red Arrow, WTF?, Oblomov liked this

By The Red Arrow
Life at Stalag Luft Arrow Towers rumbles on. One of the nieces turned up (having been coerced by the other one) with enough food for a small army - I knew I'd get karma points for giving my spare guitar strings up. Refusing to accept I'll never get time to myself and my toy aeroplanes in anything greater than ten minute bursts. Tomorrow is another day. Victory is assured.

...and it's goodnight from Reggie and Rouso.

Stay sensible, stay safe, groovers.
Boiler, WTF?, Malcolm Armsteen and 3 others liked this
By WTF?
Membership Days
Kreuzberger wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:31 pm
Took the week's bottles down to the recycling pods. "The Walk of Shame", doesn't begin to cover it. People were socially distancing.

Grabbed a bottle of new season Grappa on the way back up. Acceptable.
I know exactly what you mean. I'm beginning to have difficulty getting into the kitchen for all these empty bottles. I'm starting to worry about what they might think if they have to carry my corpse out of here.

"Was it covid-19?" said the registrar.

"Not sure" said the paramedic. "We think the cunt might have drowned."

That's a handsome pair of French bulldogs I see. Are they married? Do they have passports? Can they get me the fuck off of plague island?

RSVP

Blitz spirit, everyone i.e. run like fuck and hide in a hole in the ground. Good luck!
Catkins, Cyclist, The Red Arrow and 1 others liked this

By The Red Arrow
Good morning, my lovelies!
WTF? wrote:That's a handsome pair of French bulldogs I see. Are they married? Do they have passports? Can they get me the fuck off of plague island?
They're brothers. Reggie - the smaller, darker one - was the runt of the litter. Rousso has been looking out for him since birth. They're inseperable, my niece coiuldn't bear the thought of splitting them up. Really have become part of the family. They're sitting things out in Somerset, regular pics a great comfort to me. :)

By AOB
Queued for the first time before, it was for Home Bargains. Overheard a conversation between two late middle-aged female shoppers agreeing there should be a total lockdown of all shops, because there are "too many people out" and that "everyone has got what they need". That was "Angie". Perhaps like me, they were in work all week and the shops were closed by the time they finished for the day. Perhaps Angie is in charge of a Government logistical operation for arranging food parcels for agency care workers plus numerous other keyworkers who only get paid weekly and won't have a big stash of essentials at home to last them a while. Perhaps they should have been standing 2m apart while they were pontificating instead of a few centimetres if they are that fucking concerned.

By Oblomov
Morning all.

Health worries from yesterday have cleared up a bit. Spent an hour in bed reading Slaughterhouse Five, felt good to do a non-screen activity and give the old grey matter a bit of a critical workout. Now turning my attention towards a module for an online qualification for work whilst trying to work out how I can slip out to the supermarket to get a caterpillar cake for Oblomova's birthday on Monday amongst other assorted goodies. Perhaps Monday will be a less busy time to go?

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
AOB wrote:Queued for the first time before, it was for Home Bargains. Overheard a conversation between two late middle-aged female shoppers agreeing there should be a total lockdown of all shops, because there are "too many people out" and that "everyone has got what they need". That was "Angie". Perhaps like me, they were in work all week and the shops were closed by the time they finished for the day. Perhaps Angie is in charge of a Government logistical operation for arranging food parcels for agency care workers plus numerous other keyworkers who only get paid weekly and won't have a big stash of essentials at home to last them a while. Perhaps they should have been standing 2m apart while they were pontificating instead of a few centimetres if they are that fucking concerned.
It seems to me that"Angie" was displaying all the self-awareness of yer average house brick :lol:
By satnav
I should have been boarding a plane to New York in a couple of hours but instead I will have to make do with a cinnamon and raisin bagel from the New York bagel company! Hopefully we will be able to reschedule for next June when my daughter has finished her exams with any luck Trump will no longer be president by then.
Kreuzberger, spoonman liked this
Twat of the Day

As I've mentioned before, I spent a lot of time in[…]

Anneliese Dodds

Ah, Dickie Attenborough. Or "That bloke from […]

Sarah Vine aka Mrs Gove

She's honestly just not that bright. What the fuck[…]

The Trump Presidency

Sadly, I have no doubt he will win in November. A […]