Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 36.8 % ❤ 5.3 % :thumbsup: 10.5 % 😯 10.5 % :grinning: 26.3 % 🙏 5.3 % 😟 5.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By oboogie
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:17 am
I haven’t found any corroboration for this story. BBC Lancashire news has been named as the source
Erm, is it the Air Raid Warning tone they are planning to sound or could it be the All Clear? I remember hearing somewhere* that the All Clear tones were sounded in many places as part of the celebrations of VE Day.

*sorry, no citation, it was long ago and I've watched many documentaries describing the end of the war and I can't recall which one.

By Andy McDandy
Official timeline of WW2 (possibly according to the Daily Express):

1939. George VI officially declares WW2 open. Many lawnmowers stop.

1940. CHURCHILL! DUNKIRK! SPITFIRES!

1941. The Queen Mum lifts morale by playing the old Joanna down the tube for appreciative cockneys. Yanks join in late as usual.

1942. Bit cold in Russia. Allo Allo happens.

1943. Erm...Yanks over here? Alamein? Help.

1944. At last, Britain bounces back! In a fleet of commandeered pleasure cruisers, yachts and pedalos, brave Tommies sweep across the Channel and are in Paris by breakfast time. Yanks get shot on a beach then fall over in the snow.

1945. With Monty powering into Germany, he pauses to let the Russians have a go. Churchill graciously steps down to let Attlee have a go. Everything over, but the Yanks drop some atom bombs just to make sure.
Timbo, Cyclist, Oblomov and 1 others liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
I might watch the ‘til death do us part prequel movie in which a defiant Alf has the biggest mouth in the street in determination to sock it to the Jerrys. Until his call up papers arrive and spends the next five years hiding in the loft.

There’s a weird sub-culture out there of men in their 70s and 80s claiming they fought in the war. I was reading a guy’s medals on the train once and had an Aden campaign medal (right age to be his) and a load of WWII medals. I met man in his 70s in the EURef who claimed to have been a Desert Rat and how Monty wouldn’t have approved of EU membership. I suppose to kids they look very old and so they can bullshit them.
Oblomov liked this

By Abernathy
I'm sure I saw Winston Churchill on a tube train meeting people of all nations and getting some good advice about kicking them Nazis in the Davina McCalls that helped him win the war and become a gigantic hero.
Last edited by Abernathy on Thu May 07, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
One old boy I used to know caused consternation one Remembrance Sunday when he turned up wearing his own medals (1950s) on the left and his uncle's medals (WWll) on the right. His mother's family were Austrian and his uncle spent the war driving tanks in 5 Panzer Division.

What would the gammons make of that?

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:05 pm
I'm sure I saw Winston Churchill on a tube train meeting people of all nations and getting some good advice about kicking them Nazis in the Davina McCalls that helped him win the war become a gigantic hero.
Is that a reference to that corny film with Gary Oldman?

By Abernathy
youngian wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:11 pm
Abernathy wrote:
I'm sure I saw Winston Churchill on a tube train meeting people of all nations and getting some good advice about kicking them Nazis in the Davina McCalls that helped him win the war become a gigantic hero.
Showing this very weekend (natch) on the good ol' B B of C.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Cyclist wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:10 pm
One old boy I used to know caused consternation one Remembrance Sunday when he turned up wearing his own medals (1950s) on the left and his uncle's medals (WWll) on the right. His mother's family were Austrian and his uncle spent the war driving tanks in 5 Panzer Division.

What would the gammons make of that?

Imagine gammon outrage at the treacherous BBC using Beethoven as the signature tune to send secret messages

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:14 pm
youngian wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:11 pm
Abernathy wrote:
Showing this very weekend (natch) on the good ol' B B of C.
I highly recommend Churchill with Brian Cox which is a thoughtful and more challenging film focusing on Churchill coming to terms with the loss of British power with Eisenhower’s arrival and his own battle to stay relevant as his authority is sucked away by Uncle Sam.
US election 2020

"Establish permanent manned presence on th[…]

Daily Telegraph

More comedy gold from Charles Moore at the Telegra[…]

The Tories, Generally

Another one. Gary Sambrook. He needs a proof reade[…]

Boris Johnson

Fucking hell. Some of those were too nuts for the […]