Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 36.8 % ❤ 5.3 % :thumbsup: 10.5 % 😯 10.5 % :grinning: 26.3 % 🙏 5.3 % 😟 5.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By oboogie
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:08 pm
There’s another good British desert war movie which I later discovered was made on Camber Sands. I would never have known. Title escapes me at the moment.
Is Sea of Sand the one you're thinking of?

By Daley Mayle
Ah, memories of Camber Sands. When I was t'lad my folks would take us to Camber Sands and I have mixed memories of the place. When the tide went out it really went out, possibly as far as Belgium. And when the wind came off the sea it would whip up the beach and sand blast your legs down to the bone. That wind certainly put the sand in sandwich.

Care had to be taken in the dunes 'cos there was a lot of rusty barbed wire from the Second Unpleasantness but there were still pill boxes to explore containing treasures such as empty beer bottles and full condoms.

By The Red Arrow
A constant source of amazement here is the lengths people will go to to dump stuff in pill boxes. I'm talking tv sets, fridges and washing machines left a very long way from vehicular access. And yes, groovers - Johnny Wankmag still makes an occasional round.

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
...350k military, royal & merchant navies & airman
According to Godders the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force are civilian organisations, and only one airman died.

What is it with these True British Patriots and their lack of grasp of the English Language?

By KevS
Besides which everywhere else seems to state 30-32k died in the blitz.

Anyone else know of an event that's killed that many people in this country in a shorter space of time?

By Malcolm Armsteen
KevS wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:21 pm
Besides which everywhere else seems to state 30-32k died in the blitz.

Anyone else know of an event that's killed that many people in this country in a shorter space of time?
The Somme?
Oblomov liked this

By Bones McCoy
Arrowhead wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:48 pm
Bloomers is wearing his Union Jack pants again today:
A great opportunity for Godders (I expect that's what the junta call him in private) to teach through example.

By oboogie
There are lots of great war films, most of which have already been mentioned, so I'm going to put a shout in for John Boorman's semi-autobiographical, Hope And Glory. War seen through the eyes of a nine year old boy living through the Blitz, playing on bomb sites, collecting shrapnel and smashing things up. Broadly war films can be divided into either gung-ho flag wavers or war is hell protests. Hope And Glory is unique in the genre, in this one, war is, mostly, fun. It's often amusing but also makes some serious points. A fresh take on a familiar topic, it's 33 years old and I still watch it every few years.
Arrowhead liked this

By Oblomov
I watched TWAW episode on remembrance earlier, it was a very stark contrast to the party atmosphere of today. And one line sticks with me to punctuate every puff piece the BBC are a pumping out today:

A somber “remember the dead”.
mattomac liked this

By The Red Arrow
I remember that the WAW episode on the final solution was originally broadcast on ITV with no ad breaks out of respect for the subject matter. Compare to the re-runs and back-to-back Nazithons shown on - how shall I put this delicately? - regurgatative channels desperate for revenue at minimal outlay to themselves, incapable of commissioning original programmes. Or cheapskate fuckers as I call them.
Malcolm Armsteen, Oblomov, Boiler and 5 others liked this
US election 2020

I'm not going to stay awake this year for the re[…]

Boris Johnson

Non essential shops, pubs and restaurants all clos[…]

Labour, Generally.

I don't know what his regular pay was. But whateve[…]

Winterval Bingo

Finally, their beloved traditional Christmas is un[…]