Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 36.8 % ❤ 5.3 % :thumbsup: 10.5 % 😯 10.5 % :grinning: 26.3 % 🙏 5.3 % 😟 5.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Boiler
WTF? wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:38 pm

@ DavidJay, Oakham sounds exactly like the sort of thing I'm looking for. I shall keep my eyes peeled.

@ Boiler, Might I recommend Brewdog's Mr President?
I'm not a great fan of Brewdog if I'm honest - Punk IPA always tastes like a Glaswegian bar ashtray to my tastebuds. But if I can find it, I'll give it a go. Oakham Ales I've seen in pubs as far away as Staffordshire (to wit, the Gresley Arms in Alsager's Bank).

For an alternative to what Mr Cyclist has disdain for, I would like to recommend Grainstore Ten Fifty.

Malty rather than hoppy. If this business ever ends, I know a pub near here that sells it and I shall have a celebratory pint or two over lunch.

I know yon cycling chum would hate my other fave pint - Mad Squirrel $UMO.... :lol:
By WTF?
Membership Days
Cyclist wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 3:36 pm
Citrusy hops for the win
Citrus hops. Now *there's* something that should fuck off back where it came from. What moron decided beer would be better if it tasted like grapefruit juice?

Mutter mutter moan drone.
Each to his own.

I discovered it purely by chance, due to panic buying, lock down and nothing else left on the shelves. Once I tasted it I thought where has this been all my life. I love it. However, I respect your opinion :wink:

By Boiler
davidjay wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 3:55 pm
Whilst I know that sticking proper beer in the fridge is an offence under the law, does anyone else think that something hoppy is better for half an hour in there when the weather's warm?
An offence that sadly isn't yet capital. IIRC the best temperature to serve "proper" beer at is around 10 Celsius.

If you chill it to lager temperature it tastes horrid. I still have memories of bottles of beer in ice buckets in Rio, because that's how they like it - and in small glasses too.

By Boiler
Cyclist wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 3:36 pm
Citrusy hops for the win
Citrus hops. Now *there's* something that should fuck off back where it came from. What moron decided beer would be better if it tasted like grapefruit juice?

Mutter mutter moan drone.
You'd bloody hate this then.
https://www.stpetersbrewery.co.uk/produ ... er-8-pack/

I won't go near that and not just because medicines.
By WTF?
Membership Days
Boiler wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:07 pm
I'm not a great fan of Brewdog if I'm honest - Punk IPA always tastes like a Glaswegian bar ashtray to my tastebuds.
They're a Glasgow company so you might be onto something there. TBH, if you don't like Punk IPA then you probably won't like any of their stuff. I just can't get enough of it. Maybe it's a Marmite type thing.

I shall continue testing and report straight back if I find they have anything less citrusy :D

Stay tuned.
By WTF?
Membership Days
davidjay wrote:
Whilst I know that sticking proper beer in the fridge is an offence under the law, does anyone else think that something hoppy is better for half an hour in there when the weather's warm?
All alcohol should be served at room temperature.

I am not willing to discuss this matter further.
Cyclist liked this

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Oblomov wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:53 pm
At least my company is doing a sensible staggered reopening of the office in June.
At the large multinational financial services company I work for we saw a timeline which doesn't have us going back to the office until January.

By KevS
I'd agree with that. Shapps' comment earlier that even if full public transport was fired up again tomorrow, it would still only be operating at 10% capacity due to social distancing says to me a lot of offices won't be opening for a while.

Especially if, like me, they're working from home. I said to my manager last week that I'd be astonished if we all got back by Christmas.

By Oblomov
bluebellnutter wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:09 pm
Oblomov wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:53 pm
At least my company is doing a sensible staggered reopening of the office in June.
At the large multinational financial services company I work for we saw a timeline which doesn't have us going back to the office until January.
I think ours may be revised in the coming weeks to be more like this. In normal times office capacity is for around 600 people and we have 1000 employed so even with people out on site visits and client meetings etc it was a fight for decent desk space. To maintain social distancing they’ll have to half the original capacity (and I wonder if the air conditioning will render it all futile anyway).

Practically everything I do can be accomplished remotely so I’m going to negotiate as little office time as possible. And altered work hours if I have to go in because the tube is going to be a super spreader.
Malcolm Armsteen liked this

By davidjay
Boiler wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:24 pm
davidjay wrote:
An offence that sadly isn't yet capital. IIRC the best temperature to serve "proper" beer at is around 10 Celsius.

If you chill it to lager temperature it tastes horrid. I still have memories of bottles of beer in ice buckets in Rio, because that's how they like it - and in small glasses too.
I don't say chill it, just stop it from being warm.

It's the "decision to kill" bit I mean.

Boris Johnson

It seems like LINO to me - no real closures, no […]

US election 2020

It won't be resolved by morning. Trump won't co[…]

Labour, Generally.

I don't know what his regular pay was. But whateve[…]