•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By oboogie
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Whilst it's horrendous that they need to, I think it's great that children's TV are stepping up.
Children aren't born racist, adults have to teach them to be.
It's no good waiting until they're teenagers to talk about race as, by then, they'll have already picked a side and it's too late.
We've got to indoctrinate them with our treacherous liberal values whilst they're very young.
Timbo liked this

By Andy McDandy
Even in the Edwardian age, any toff wandering around treating the proles as medieval serfs would end up in the infirmary sharpish.

Also, ha ha, pubic.

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Watchman wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:19 pm

I wonder what those who "worked" on the Burma railway would make of that Japan love
Different eras. We had friendly relations with Japan up until December 1941. Indeed, because of the Anglo-Japanese alliance of 1902, Japan entered WWI on "our" side. The Imperial Japanese Navy conducted operations against the Imperial German Navy East Asia squadron and against German colonies in the Pacific.
oboogie liked this

By Bones McCoy
Watchman wrote:
I wonder what those who "worked" on the Burma railway would make of that Japan love
[/quote]

Less to do with Japan, and more to do with an armed an unaccountable upper class.

Unfortunately for B-P that ship had sailed along with Tom Cruise.
I think he'd have been quite shocked had he seen the rapidly industrialising Japan.

By Oblomov
I’m not sure if this is tea but I appreciate the sentiment
Attachments
D2712DEC-42E3-480D-ACFF-7F7A73559A9D.jpeg
D2712DEC-42E3-480D-ACFF-7F7A73559A9D.jpeg (39.17 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
By WTF?
Membership Days
oboogie wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:33 pm
Sorry, I don't understand the surprise. This isn't new.
Every generation has to do this.
It's a right of passage. There comes a day when you have to put the toys away and go outside and lamp some fascists.
Our parents and grandparents had to fight them in the 30s and 40s. Then again in the 50s and 60s.
My generation had to fight the NF in the 70s and 80s.
Then we had to fight the BNP in the 90s and 00s.
We fought the EDL 00s and 2010s.
And our children - and our children's children - will fight them again tomorrow and the day after.
This shit never goes away for long, it comes back with a new flag but the same old bollocks.
So we have to beat them again.
But we do always fucking beat them.

You're right. Of course you are. I suppose the only real surprise is that some of us, myself included, are still surprised by it. I mean, 40 or 50 years ago who'd have guessed that the UK and the US would become bastions of right wing fuckwittery? I could see right of centre coming, I saw that when Thatcher won her third election. But the past decade in British politics caught me right off guard.

I only hope you're right about us always beating them.

Stay safe, everyone.
oboogie liked this
By WTF?
Membership Days
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:02 pm
Oh dear. What is is with Brexiters?

DLG corrects himself later- it's 1753, not 1733, but doesn't make any difference to the main point.

Ahh, Douglas Carswell. No doubt if a slave landed in England in 1753 he would be free from the laws of gravity, never mind any conventions pertaining to the "ownership" of human beings.

Dougie Carswell, the thinking man's Danny Hannan.
Tubby Isaacs liked this

By Bones McCoy
Cyclist wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:01 pm
Watchman wrote:

Different eras. We had friendly relations with Japan up until December 1941. Indeed, because of the Anglo-Japanese alliance of 1902, Japan entered WWI on "our" side. The Imperial Japanese Navy conducted operations against the Imperial German Navy East Asia squadron and against German colonies in the Pacific.
I was surprised to learn that the IJN also operated in the Med'.

By Timbo
From my limited knowledge of the subject, they're both wrong. Chattel slavery in England and Wales was outlawed in the decision of Somerset v Stewart, in 1772. King's Bench decision, so pretty conclusive:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somerset_v_Stewart

By Tubby Isaacs
The Rhodes statue at Oriel College, Oxford is coming down.

I'm not sure about this one. I don't think it's like Colston, which is a standalone statue, easily removed (and indeed chucked in the sea). The Rhodes statue is part of an (aesthetically if not morally) attractive facade of a building. I wouldn't be surprised if the statue itself were added later, but I don't know if that alters the point. A niche was put in, doubtless with the expectation of a statue being added later.

If you take off the Rhodes statue for "memorializing", should you take off that nice stone writing too? After all, it says "by the great generosity of Cecil Rhodes". That would be going too far for me. I appreciate that there's no easy answer, and lines will be drawn, but I'd like us to establish some solid principles on this stuff.

The Trump Presidency

Adolph is an eccentric and frequently horribly of[…]

The Tories, Generally

Scum is too good for them.

Marina Hyde - woman of fire

Only this government could miss the open goal of […]

US election 2020

Good stuff here about the implications of down bal[…]