•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By oboogie
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Summary
Parliament's Intelligence and Security Committee (ISC) releases damning report detailing Russian interference in British politics

It criticises UK government for failing to properly assess and counter the threat Russia posed to the Scottish independence and Brexit votes

UK government "actively avoided" recognising Russia threat, ISC member Stewart Hosie says
Mr Hosie, an SNP MP, says the government "did not want to know" if Russia sought to interfere in 2016 Brexit vote

Fellow ISC member Kevan Jones, from Labour, said it was an "outrage" that no-one in government seemed to want to know

Britain is one of Russia's top intelligence targets in the West, the report says

It calls for a major overhaul of government structures to better defend British democracy

The committee said there was "no reason" for the report's publication to be delayed

No 10 was accused of holding back the report ahead of December's UK election - which it has denied

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-53485009

By The Red Arrow
Dear Mr Raab, ISC member Stuart Hosie MP has said the government "actively avoided" looking into evidence that there was Russian interference. The key word is "actively". This is the government deliberately helping a foreign attack on our country. It is treason.

our democracy
:lol: :lol: :lol:
oboogie liked this

By Abernathy
Two initial observations :

1. It is utterly inconceivable that if Russia sought to influence the results of the Scottish independence referendum in 2014, it then chose not to seek to influence the 2016 EU membership referendum.

2. This government "actively" sought to avoid evidence of Russian interference in the 2016 referendum. I would suggest that this was because it did not want to find any such evidence. As has been said, this can be characterised as treasonous.

The Commons rises for recess tomorrow. I think this means that last week's PMQs was the final one before the summer recess. It would have been interesting to see how Mr Stramer would have framed a question to Johnson on the report. Still, it'll keep.
oboogie, Oblomov liked this

By Bones McCoy
Abernathy wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:51 am
Two initial observations :

1. It is utterly inconceivable that if Russia sought to influence the results of the Scottish independence referendum in 2014, it then chose not to seek to influence the 2016 EU membership referendum.

2. This government "actively" sought to avoid evidence of Russian interference in the 2016 referendum. I would suggest that this was because it did not want to find any such evidence. As has been said, this can be characterised as treasonous.

The Commons rises for recess tomorrow. I think this means that last week's PMQs was the final one before the summer recess. It would have been interesting to see how Mr Stramer would have framed a question to Johnson on the report. Still, it'll keep.
There's no reason to stop talking about this because Boris is at Chequers.
Cummings remained in the press for almost a fortnight, despite all the Govt efforts to damp it down.
Surely this deserves a higher billing.
oboogie liked this

By Andy McDandy
This government has form with circular thinking - remember David Davis's exit assessments?

"They can't be late because they don't exist, because we cancelled the instruction to produce them after they were late, which they couldn't have been, due to not existing".

Same with this. "No evidence of meddling in Brexit, whereas plenty of Corbyn holding up that trade document and they helped with the Scottish independence thing (spot choice of words there). Anyway, not our fault, it was all the committee and the security services, better have a high level clean out there".

By Oblomov
Aside from the obvious that Johnson wanted to ignore interference in the 2019 GE election because it went his way, I'm taking this "Whitehall didn't want to investigate" line as a coded message that intelligence services were actively discouraged from investigating (because if they detect a threat to national security they surely wouldn't just leave it hanging would they?), and who was foreign secretary for a while after the Brexit referendum? Johnson.

By Oblomov
"I really think this Russia thing is Red Scare for Liberals. If you can just blame Putin (when you're not talking about how fucking stupid working class people are) then you get to say that there are absolutely no problems inherent in our economic and geopolitical landscape before 2016.

From the anarcho-crank in my group chat. Even I'm surprised at how quickly he leapt to blame the Islington Set, apparently this can all be hand waved away because all Putin did was ruin the exchange rate for middle-class people going on skiing holidays :roll:

By Boiler
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:35 am
Here's what I think will happen now:

(it's not an error. I think the findings of the report are damning, but I expect there to be absolutely no consequences for anyone who was involved.)
"Move along. Nothing to see here."

So why sit on it, unless something else is being buried today?

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
I expect this report will be chip paper by Friday unless the Salisbury attack can be weaved into the conversation it might get another week of interest from the public. Johnson’s core vote supports Putin and wants the UK run in a similar manner. Starmer might gain from it as someone trusted on security compared to Bozo.
Rishi Sunak

I bet he wasn't expecting this: Chancellor Rishi[…]

US election 2020

"Establish permanent manned presence on th[…]

Daily Telegraph

More comedy gold from Charles Moore at the Telegra[…]

The Tories, Generally

Another one. Gary Sambrook. He needs a proof reade[…]