Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 33.3 % :thumbsup: 66.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
As we approach the end of this decade, I've been giving some thought to what concepts have really come into their own in the last 10 years. Not your usual buzzwords and neologisms, but what existing terms and words we have that really sum up what's passed.

I'll start off with "privilege". Don't get me wrong - I have no problem with people spending their money to get high quality goods and services. That's fine, as long as it's their money and they're actually spending it. But what we've really seen over the last 10 years is something that doubtless was around before, but came out into the open in a big way. The idea that you didn't have to spend the money, just have it. Or the connections, or whatever else put you in the gilded circle. And then you literally were above the law, or had your own private arrangements that bypassed so many of the hassles the rest of us faced. We saw it with free schools, with Cummings' trip to County Durham, with 200 berks this morning in Switzerland. With the endless new opportunities for political failures, most of which could be described as "failing upwards".

Agree? Disagree? Suggestions of your own? Add them here.
This will ultimately lead us to a dystopian future where a tiny 0.00001% (the ones who will benefit from Brexit) control everything and the vast bulk of the population are cast aside or used as drones. Fritz Lang saw this in Metropolis nearly 100 years ago.
Boiler wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:40 pm
Hyper-partisanism.
Is this what's often called the "Footballification of politics".

The idea that an action should be judged on the basis of "our team/their team", as opposed to the good or bad outcomes of the action.
The Trump Presidency

Some interesting legal thoughts are emerging on th[…]

"Boris" Johnson

How odd that Johnson says it's a matter for Bide[…]

Round the Blogs

And in the comments I haven’t read the jud[…]

Jeremy "Fucking off" Corbyn.

Anyone else read that as ARSE first time round? […]