Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 75 % ❤ 12.5 % :grinning: 12.5 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
I could be generous and suggest he meant police protection, but I'm not feeling that generous toward him so I won't.
The ‘War on Woke’ & the Great Free Speech Czar Paradox

17 February 2021

Otto English explores why the Brexit battle’s successor should be pushed back against now – if Britain is to be stopped from continuing down a much darker path still

https://bylinetimes.com/2021/02/17/the- ... r-paradox/
I had been thinking today about the possibilities of malicious compliance here. The entire thing is founded on a false equivalence, when moderate lefty speakers are contrasted with far-right shit-flingers and it's just not fair, waaaah!

Can't we get some actual real reds booked into LSE or the Oxford union for giggles? Even relatively high profile celebs of a leftist bent to see exactly how far that cancel culture really goes.

I'm taken back to the Pogues cancel culture "debate". Shouting "faggot" at the works do is free speech that must be defended. Censoring "there were six men in Birmingham, in Guildford there's four, who were picked up and tortured and framed by the law, and the filth got promotion, but they're still doing time, for being Irish in the wrong place and at the wrong time", however, just never happened and shut up about it, yeah?

By Boiler
Elsewhere I put up this post:
Screenshot_2021-02-17 Covid-19 discussion thread - Page 321 mod.png
Screenshot_2021-02-17 Covid-19 discussion thread - Page 321 mod.png (4.58 KiB) Viewed 248 times
The person it was in reply to used to work in the PM's office. Let's see how long it is before a mod removes it.
MisterMuncher wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:08 pm
I had been thinking today about the possibilities of malicious compliance here. The entire thing is founded on a false equivalence, when moderate lefty speakers are contrasted with far-right shit-flingers and it's just not fair, waaaah!

Can't we get some actual real reds booked into LSE or the Oxford union for giggles? Even relatively high profile celebs of a leftist bent to see exactly how far that cancel culture really goes.

I'm taken back to the Pogues cancel culture "debate". Shouting "faggot" at the works do is free speech that must be defended. Censoring "there were six men in Birmingham, in Guildford there's four, who were picked up and tortured and framed by the law, and the filth got promotion, but they're still doing time, for being Irish in the wrong place and at the wrong time", however, just never happened and shut up about it, yeah?
Invite a few Caliphist scholars, just for shits and giggles.
Job done.

By Boiler
My post elsewhere stayed up, but prompted a response from the forum elder that thinks he runs the show there that "being woke is fine if you live in a house with more bathrooms than most people have rooms" complete with animated thumbs-up emoji.

Brexiter from Stoke on Trent... :roll:
Boiler wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:18 am
My post elsewhere stayed up, but prompted a response from the forum elder that thinks he runs the show there that "being woke is fine if you live in a house with more bathrooms than most people have rooms" complete with animated thumbs-up emoji.

Brexiter from Stoke on Trent... :roll:
When I read comments form elsewhere about Dudley, I thought they could equally apply to Stoke on Trent.

Not wishing to come over all Jordan Peterson.
During my year in Stoke I did start to wonder about the Toryish thinking.
The "everybody with any intelligence, skill, ambition and drive has upped and left, and here's what's left".

Stoke seemed to combine that with the toxic optimism that "We're one of the great places".
On the strength of having a garden festival and hosting a darts championship.

Maybe I didn't see the best of the city.
Fuck those people. The idea that working class or poor people can't afford empathy, social conscience or basic decency is completely fucking ridiculous.

If anything, the poor have a much stronger idea of what it means to be fucked over. It may turn the odd one the wrong way. Mostly, not so much. It's really those with more who have the (irrational) fear of losing it that can really dig into the minorities taking everything.
Two up, two down terrace in Liverpool here.

I grew up in the Midlands Today area, where every few months they'd do either a piece on some Stoke pottery firm doing the commemorative mugs for something*, or a general "Stoke's bouncing back!" piece. Suppose they had to justify having a studio there.

*Midlands Today did a lot of these. My dad always used to say that you knew spring was on the way when they did the report on the guy who engraves the Cheltenham gold cup.

By Boiler
MisterMuncher wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:37 pm
Fuck those people. The idea that working class or poor people can't afford empathy, social conscience or basic decency is completely fucking ridiculous.
Apparently the post was "a joke", and we should "move on".
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

If in doubt, refer to Rule 35.

Marina Hyde - woman of fire

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb[…]

Roll Call

For what it's worth, my dad was a few weeks shy of[…]

The Biden Presidency.

Well, at the moment they're busy moaning that they[…]