•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
I like saying that the fear of equality is really a deep rooted fear of meritocracy, and very revealing as to how much a person honestly feels they deserve their status in life.

Then again, I love being told to fuck off by people with spelling apoplexy

By Boiler
With all the stuff about statues, Dolly Parton shows she's cool:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56116505
"Given all that is going on in the world, I don't think putting me on a pedestal is appropriate at this time," she said.

She added she was "honoured and humbled" by the gesture, saying: "I hope, though, that somewhere down the road several years from now or perhaps after I'm gone if you feel I deserve it, then I'm certain I will stand proud in our great State Capitol as a grateful Tennessean."

From Folklore to WokeloreHow Myths of Britishness Are Turning Totalitarian
Peter Jukes and Hardeep Matharu
18 February 2021

Meanwhile, as Britain’s idea of the past is dominated by a generation only old enough to remember Airfix models, Eagle comics, and the mythologisation of World War Two, we elevate the heroism of a 100-year-old soldier who walked laps of his garden to raise money for the National Health Service (in one of the richest countries in the world), forgetting all his comrades who voted in the Labour Government of 1945 to create a health service that didn’t rely on charity.
https://bylinetimes.com/2021/02/18/from ... alitarian/
Watchman, spoonman, oboogie liked this
Boiler wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:45 pm
With all the stuff about statues, Dolly Parton shows she's cool:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56116505
"Given all that is going on in the world, I don't think putting me on a pedestal is appropriate at this time," she said.

She added she was "honoured and humbled" by the gesture, saying: "I hope, though, that somewhere down the road several years from now or perhaps after I'm gone if you feel I deserve it, then I'm certain I will stand proud in our great State Capitol as a grateful Tennessean."
Dolly knocked back the presidential medal of freedom from Trump on a number of occasions. Fair fucks, I wouldn't want to graduate in Rush's class either.
Actually, thinking about it, a lot of the real icons of the country scene (Dolly, Cash, Nelson, Waylon Jennings et al) wouldn't recognise the drooling red meat right wing sycophancy that infected country music and it's fandom from the mid eighties on.
They don't actually listen to the words, hence their playing Born in the USA at every opportunity. They're as thick as mince, the lot of them.
mattomac liked this
It's painful to think what some All Lives Matter Back The Blue type is getting out of Live At San Quentin.

I may have posted this here before, it's obviously a bit scurrilous, but I just confess to laughing like a fucking drain at it

By Oblomov
Suppression of political and journalistic dissent in Belarus have been a frequent feature of Channel 4 news recently, have the usual cranks opined anything about that or are they still chasing the low-hanging fruit of university safe spaces?
The Mash has the story:

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics ... 0219205489
THE Conservatives have admitted to being ‘bloody frustrated’ that the UK is still more interested in pandemics and vaccines than their new ‘war on woke’.

Like a group of bull-necked men milling around a town centre statue looking for a fight, Tory MPs and their friends in the media are irked that their opponents have not even bothered to turn up.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
MisterMuncher wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:52 pm
Actually, thinking about it, a lot of the real icons of the country scene (Dolly, Cash, Nelson, Waylon Jennings et al) wouldn't recognise the drooling red meat right wing sycophancy that infected country music and it's fandom from the mid eighties on.
Nashville took a dim view of anyone stepping outside of the box whether its Dolly becoming a pop star or folkies and rockers muscling in with leftfield takes. I assume they're a bit more eclectic and inclusive these days. Promoting liberal causes didn't damage Garth Brook's career.
Merle Haggard did songs such as Okie from Muskogee, which took aim at the anti-Vietnam war movement. But he seemed to be coming from a position of authenticity, rather than Keith, who seems to be revelling in a theme park version of trailer trash chic.
Oblomov wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:20 am
Suppression of political and journalistic dissent in Belarus have been a frequent feature of Channel 4 news recently, have the usual cranks opined anything about that or are they still chasing the low-hanging fruit of university safe spaces?
Yes, but in their view it’s strong leadership, keeping the troublemakers down
Andy McDandy wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:33 pm
Merle Haggard did songs such as Okie from Muskogee, which took aim at the anti-Vietnam war movement. But he seemed to be coming from a position of authenticity, rather than Keith, who seems to be revelling in a theme park version of trailer trash chic.
Merle has told it both ways, both as a piss take of hippies and knowing self parody. He is a cantankerous old bollocks, though.

My ma and da meet him on a train from Dublin, coming home from their honeymoon. Nice man for about five minutes, then leave him alone, apparently.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Yes; this is what you voted for. Screenshot_202[…]

Roll Call

I'm surprised how many of those in my circle of […]

The Biden Presidency.

Well, at the moment they're busy moaning that they[…]

"Yebbut everyone was doing it" didn't […]