•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Andy McDandy wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:54 pm
Two up, two down terrace in Liverpool here.

I grew up in the Midlands Today area, where every few months they'd do either a piece on some Stoke pottery firm doing the commemorative mugs for something*, or a general "Stoke's bouncing back!" piece. Suppose they had to justify having a studio there.

*Midlands Today did a lot of these. My dad always used to say that you knew spring was on the way when they did the report on the guy who engraves the Cheltenham gold cup.
I grew up in the Midlands Today region. One highlight was "Britain's best sausage maker has been announced. And he's a Midlander!" Or it might have been pie-maker. It was like Nationwide, except they only had one region to get quirky stories from.

Central South was like that, except more so. Watchable, with likeable presenters (once they got into their stride). The very first episode was quite something. About all they were missing was Anne Dawson having a Judy Finnegan style wardrobe fail and Wesley Smith shooting someone. Everything else went wrong.

First item was Kegworth air crash (local link that a bloke from Coleford died in it). If you make it to just past 3 minutes without dying of laughter, there's an odd sequence where a cheerful bloke holds a copy of the Gloucester Citizen (with a picture of the air crash on it).
More on the misfiring war on woke.

The report that's informed the government's thinking referred to Germaine Greer being cancelled by Cardiff University. Among the people scratching their heads was the chap at Cardiff who'd arranged the talk, and he pointed out it went ahead with full university support.

Where does that leave the report, you might wonder? In a bit of trouble. Co-author Eric Kaufman slyly added a footnote to the report that the talk went ahead, as if that was no problem for the report. And online supporters produced a few more names of people who were cancelled. Perhaps they could knock them up into a report, and we'll see where we are?
Factually bollocks too, of course. Salman Rushdie is a British citizen, and both LCL and Life of Brian were well and truly banned.

They are too stupid to lie straight in bed.
Boiler wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:37 pm
My brain is refusing to believe what my eyes are telling and I am getting a headache.
“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
The reason there's been push back against him and Kaufman is that one of them has been caught writing rubbish about a "cancellation", and the other was caught trying to sue an academic.

Who does he mean by "STEM"? Or is that just a dog whistle to his fans that "yer people who teach proper subjects" are on his side?

Funny no mention of David Miller- wouldn't that be a case of "snowflake students cancelling controversial ideas"? How does he think the government proposal could work? Sounds like a nice earner for Miller, if anything. Tiny society of students could invite him to speak, university as a whole overrules, cheque in the post from Oliver Dowden to Miller.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

If in doubt, refer to Rule 35.

Marina Hyde - woman of fire

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb[…]

Roll Call

For what it's worth, my dad was a few weeks shy of[…]

The Biden Presidency.

Well, at the moment they're busy moaning that they[…]