Say hi! New or old, let us welcome you here
Forum rules: Welcome new folks! This forum is for you to start a topic to introduce yourself, so we can get to know you. Please note, the rules here are stricter - be nice to new people!
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Boiler
Hello all,

after many years of lurking on Mailwatch, I've finally managed to join.

So, what can I say? I'm male, 52 and widowed with no children. I worked for the BBC as a broadcast engineer for 28 years before being made redundant; now I'm freelance. I have interests in railways and collecting/restoring old radios and televisions.

Politically, I made an odd transition with age from right to left; my late wife was disabled after a fall at work and I spent much of my time - especially in later years - caring for her as well as trying to keep down a full time and somewhat demanding job. That probably drove the change more than anything else, and a growing sense of social injustice. However... I also remember vividly many a sleepless night trying to comfort my wife when the Labour administrations cut her benefits, vilified those on benefits and we had to appeal time and time again until just before her death, she was given a lifetime assessment. I know that view may not be terribly popular with some on this board, but I know I didn't imagine it. It's horrific to say, but she died in 2010 and I'm glad she never saw what was to come. Needless to say, I still miss her terribly.

Sadly, the part of the world I live in is real "blue-rosette-on-a -roadkill-badger" territory so I am completely disenfranchised from any form of progressive politics: whereas once the LDs came second to the shoo-in Tory, now UKIP make lots of noise due to the number of East European immigrants in this area. Which confuses the Kippers a lot as I am half-Ukrainian (Dad was a PoW, later Displaced Person) but of course, I don't sound it!

Although I supported Corbyn in his bid to become leader, partly driven by what I've mentioned above, I can see that he has become an absolute liability to the Party and I fear a repeat of the Wilderness Years of the 1980s. I really, really hope that something can be done before permanent, lasting damage is caused.

Well, that's me. I hope I'll be able to make a valuable contribution to the board and not upset anybody.

By Boiler
Daley Mayle wrote:
Boiler wrote: Well, that's me. I hope I'll be able to make a valuable contribution to the board and not upset anybody.

That depends on your choice of favourite sausage.
Yes, I've read about Malcolm and the sausages. Does it matter if it's something that's a bit... local?

By Boiler
:lol: :lol:

Many years ago, a mate and I used to drive past the takeaway that inspired Hong Kong Garden...

As a technical aside, is that error message that keeps popping up about the 'cache not being writable' of any major significance?

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Local sausages for local people.

Welcome, Boiler.

Since Mikey Mikey and the other one -ahem- left, the consensus view here accords with your view that Jeremy Corbyn is as much use as Anne Frank's drum kit.

By Boiler
Abernathy wrote:
Welcome, Boiler.
Thank you :)
Abernathy wrote:Since Mikey Mikey and the other one -ahem- left,
Ah. Best not mentioned then?
Abernathy wrote:the consensus view here accords with your view that Jeremy Corbyn is as much use as Anne Frank's drum kit.
I had hopes for Corbyn, I really did. I knew the press - and the Coalition - would make mincemeat out of the other three at the time: Yvette Cooper would simply be "Mrs. Balls", Andy Burnham would never escape the 'Mid-Staffs' tag, and Liz Kendall was simply too 'green' (in the more traditional sense of the word). On another forum I frequent one poster insists on referring to Emily Thornberry as Lady Nugee, but start 'doing a Fenton' with some of the Tories and you're 'being childish'.

But goodness, what an utter, depressing shambles it has become. I'm just reminded every time Corbyn appears of the line from Lock Stock - "'e's a fuckin' liability."

By Malcolm Armsteen
I dunno, you go and play with next-door's kid for an hour and all these reindeer's oxters start taking the piss about sausages.

Sausages are not, repeat not, a laughing matter. Plump and oily, sliding between your fingers into the pan where they sizzle and slide...

Where was I? Oh yes, welcome aboard, boiler.

(Though it occurs that if he likes his sausages boiled he's a frankfurter).

By Boiler
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:I dunno, you go and play with next-door's kid for an hour and all these reindeer's oxters start taking the piss about sausages.

Sausages are not, repeat not, a laughing matter. Plump and oily, sliding between your fingers into the pan where they sizzle and slide...

Thank you, Malcolm.

The answer is.... Smoked Rutland sausages, from here:
http://www.grasmere-farm.co.uk/newshop/ ... cts_id=205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Am I allowed to say that in deference to my cholesterol levels, I prefer them grilled...? (ducks, runs for cover)

Having chickened out last year when I worked in Paris for eight weeks, I am still to dare try an andouillette. However, as I'm going back there with a friend to trace the route and photograph the remains of La Petite Ceinture, I may still yet summon up the courage...

By Kreuzberger
Boiler wrote:
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:I dunno, you go and play with next-door's kid for an hour and all these reindeer's oxters start taking the piss about sausages.

Thank you, Malcolm.

The answer is.... Smoked Rutland sausages, from here:
http://www.grasmere-farm.co.uk/newshop/ ... cts_id=205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Am I allowed to say that in deference to my cholesterol levels, I prefer them grilled...? (ducks, runs for cover)

Having chickened out last year when I worked in Paris for eight weeks, I am still to dare try an andouillette. However, as I'm going back there with a friend to trace the route and photograph the remains of La Petite Ceinture, I may still yet summon up the courage...
Oh, don't get him started on andouillettes...

In other news, I breakfasted last Saturday on locally-made, Regensburger weiß wurst. They're boiled and delicious with the local mustard which is so sweet it should be in a tin of Quality Street.

Regensburg, by the way. Exquisitely beautiful!

By Boiler
Well, I can say that last Friday and Saturday, lunch was bratwurst from the aforementioned local butchers, grilled (apologies if I've just committed a heinous crime) with German sauerkraut and English mustard, in bread rolls from the local bakery.

In fact, typing that has reminded me there's some sauerkraut left over in the fridge...

By Kreuzberger
Boiler wrote:Well, I can say that last Friday and Saturday, lunch was bratwurst from the aforementioned local butchers, grilled (apologies if I've just committed a heinous crime) ...
That's how yer supposed to cook them. That or on an open barbecue, turning frequently and looking very manly.

By Boiler
Kreuzberger wrote: That's how yer supposed to cook them. That or on an open barbecue, turning frequently and looking very manly.
Can you do it without looking manly? It's not something I've ever managed to achieve...
Reasonably epic Mail Fail

Interesting that some of the replies to the top-[…]

Roll Call

Ever been to the Mort Subite bar in Brussels? […]

Boris Johnson

That's one scary feed. Got to be a piss-taker, s[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Jesus wept.