Archive of old topics pre-October 2007. PM a mod to get one reopened
  •  
  •  
By Eurobloke
Membership Days Membership Days
sundaymorning wrote:Am I the only person in London who thinks the congestion charge is a good thing? Who actually likes Ken Livingstone in a twisted way?
I am both supporting and looking forward to the proposed Cambridge's congestion charge of £3. :)

Traffic is dreadful, and the city isn't designed for a heavy amount of cars. Although the buses on Emmenual Street is awful, but it is the University, not the city council that hold the strings here.
By Eurobloke
jonboy wrote:
mattomac wrote:
jonnyhead wrote:Wow, Nick Ferrari's policies show him to be a real political heavyweight:
:roll:
It's good to have a couple of routemasters about as special tour buses, but why would you get rid of handy bendy buses.
I don't know if this is the main objection, but bendy buses are single deckers, and are much longer. I think there is objection on the practical side, as a larger area of road is taken up to transport the same number of people in a bendy bus, compared with a routemaster.

Some object "culturally" (Don't know if this is the right term to use), saying routemasters are very British, like beefeaters, steak and kidney pie, and moaning about "Nu Labour". So therefore removing the routemaster was an attack on Britishness.
How are Routemasters good for London, when I lived in East London, Routemasters didn't exist all there was red standard double-deckers. Plus, double deckers are horrible, not safe with those rowdy teenagers in the back causing mischief.
By sven945
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
sundaymorning wrote:Routemasters are nice to look at and everything, but they're more polluting than modern buses and much colder in winter. You get throw around in them and the driver has to climb out of the window of the driver's cab to get out, which isn't a nice sight.
Routemasters are still running on the route between Regent's Park and Aldwych. Route 9 I think.

jack
By sven945
mattomac wrote:I only suggested it as a reintroduction for tourism.
Yeah, I know what you mean. They run a couple of routes with them as "herritage routes" or something. Probably mostly to shut the Mail readers up.

I went on one a few months ago. It was fun, but an absolute nightmare for anyone over 5ft 10 or so. And I'm 6ft 6...

jack
By sven945
The Tax Payer wrote:
Who actually likes Ken Livingstone in a twisted way?
I like him, because he's one of the few politicians (along with George Galloway) brave enough to publicly slag off the Mail and other shitty newspapers. In a way, he's one of us. ;)
I like him. Although please don't compare him to George Galloway. I can't stand him!

jack
By larrylargesse
quality buffoonery.....

'Take A Risk, Tackle A Thug,' Says Boris

ok mate ...

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,, ... 51,00.html

Asking in an interview for the News of the World whether people should be worried about getting stabbed, the Tory front-bencher replied: "Your chances of getting stabbed are very small."

he gets my vote!
By sven945
He said today that he plans to create affordable housing, improve public transport and encourage cycling.

Pretty much what Red Ken has been doing for the past seven years, except Ken has a proven record.

At Least we know that Boris knows London very well, from his (I believe) main residence in Islington. I'm not sure what the voters in Henley think of this though.
By jimmy baby nothing
larrylargesse wrote:quality buffoonery.....

'Take A Risk, Tackle A Thug,' Says Boris

ok mate ...

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,, ... 51,00.html

Asking in an interview for the News of the World whether people should be worried about getting stabbed, the Tory front-bencher replied: "Your chances of getting stabbed are very small."

he gets my vote!
The best bit about the interview was when he called NOTW readers broad and open minded.
By Eurobloke
Some of his policies for London...

abandeden free bus travel for under 16s due to youths using them as "glorified getaway cars"

abanden the bendy buses to be replaced by mordern versions of the Routemaster

Err, why was more money on new buses when the current ones are fine.

introduce a version of the low-cost bike rental scheme being tested in Paris

Even Ken wants this
Reasonably epic Mail Fail

Interesting that some of the replies to the top-[…]

Roll Call

Ever been to the Mort Subite bar in Brussels? […]

Boris Johnson

That's one scary feed. Got to be a piss-taker, s[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Jesus wept.