Archive of old topics pre-October 2007. PM a mod to get one reopened
  •  
  •  
By Phil
Membership Days Membership Days
Blended colouring does go against the aim of speed cameras being a visible deterrent at known traffic black spots and into the realm of stealth spying.

I drive safely within the speed limit but I can't guarantee that I'm always within the speed limit unless I pay constant attention to the speedo (and have full awareness of what the speed limit actually is). Not knowing where cameras are is going to create a bunch of very nervous drivers, from 17 to 90.

By Killer Whale
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Phil wrote:Blended colouring does go against the aim of speed cameras being a visible deterrent at known traffic black spots and into the realm of stealth spying.
Only stealth spying on people breaking the law in a dangerous fashion, though. If you drive at or below the speed limit (+10% leeway) you won't get spied on. Except for those creepy numberplate recognition systems that are hidden in many places on the motorway and trunk road system, and, indeed, on petrol station forecourts. But no-one seems to be bothered about them, for some reason.
Phil wrote:I drive safely within the speed limit but I can't guarantee that I'm always within the speed limit unless I pay constant attention to the speedo (and have full awareness of what the speed limit actually is). Not knowing where cameras are is going to create a bunch of very nervous drivers, from 17 to 90.
If you can't control your vehicle properly and drive with the care and attention required of a licensed driver, then I'd recommend a refresher course with a driving instructor.
By Mr Mordon
Phil wrote:Blended colouring does go against the aim of speed cameras being a visible deterrent at known traffic black spots and into the realm of stealth spying.

I drive safely within the speed limit but I can't guarantee that I'm always within the speed limit unless I pay constant attention to the speedo (and have full awareness of what the speed limit actually is). Not knowing where cameras are is going to create a bunch of very nervous drivers, from 17 to 90.
I think the idea of them being made less visible is to remove the problem of drivers slowing down for the camera then just speeding up again once they are out of range. I personally have no time for speed camera moaners, particularly those with stupid trivial complaints like the chap on the local news last night who complained that the new cameras being installed in North Yorkshire would be a blight on the picturesque towns and villages. In other words, helping to cut road deaths was less importent than aesthetics :roll:

Wonder if he has ever watched Hot Fuzz ?
By Purgatory
Woodsie wrote:
Do 29 in a 30 and have no insurance, no tax, no mot, can be disqualified and driving whilst drunk and get away with it.
ROLLY EYES GO HERE

Also, :roll: not rolly enough for Mailwatch tbh.
Just because a Mail commentator said it, doesn't make it false! You can drive in a dangerous manner below the speed limit, and in a safe manner above the speed limit IMO.
By Phil
Killer Whale wrote:If you can't control your vehicle properly and drive with the care and attention required of a licensed driver, then I'd recommend a refresher course with a driving instructor.
I don't need a lecture from a righteous imbecile with no concept of common sense, thanks
I think the idea of them being made less visible is to remove the problem of drivers slowing down for the camera then just speeding up again once they are out of range.
But the issue is that they should be visible, because they are acting as a visual deterrent to whatever traffic blackspot they're there to protect, that's what the law says they're there for

If you want to catch people doing the general act of speeding, use a mobile speed trap, that's what they're for

If you want to stop people driving fast then slowing down, use a long distance speed trap like on the A14 around Cambridge, that's what they're for
By Mr Mordon
But the issue is that they should be visible, because they are acting as a visual deterrent to whatever traffic blackspot they're there to protect, that's what the law says they're there for
But surely thats what the camera warning signs are for, to warn drivers to watch their speed and that cameras will be there to fine them if they don't
Reasonably epic Mail Fail

Interesting that some of the replies to the top-[…]

Roll Call

Ever been to the Mort Subite bar in Brussels? […]

Boris Johnson

That's one scary feed. Got to be a piss-taker, s[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Jesus wept.