Archive of old topics pre-October 2007. PM a mod to get one reopened
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Arrowhead
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I spotted some interesting quotes attributed to this guy at his current trial (highlighted below). This lunatic HAS to be an avid Mail reader, surely????

Story from BBC NEWS:

MAN CONVICETD OVER LETTER BOMBS

A primary school caretaker has been found guilty of carrying out a letter bomb campaign in which eight people were injured.

Miles Cooper, 27, from Cambridge, told Oxford Crown Court he had been angry at authorities and "concerned about the direction my country was heading in".

Seven letter bombs were sent to addresses in England and Wales earlier this year, five of which exploded. Cooper, who was convicted on all 12 counts, will be sentenced on Friday.

Cooper had told the court his aim was "ultimately to highlight my cause" and denied charges related to the seven letter bombs sent in January and February. He did not contest that he sent the letters to three forensic science laboratories, a computer company, an accountancy firm, the DVLA and a residential address, but denied intending to cause injury.

They were sent, he added, to organisations he believed were connected to government control, surveillance and monitoring.

During his testimony, Cooper said he had concerns over the amount of power given to the government. "If you give a small group of people [the government] too much power, they will eventually end up abusing it.". Referring to the issue of Britain being a "surveillance society", he said: "We are one of the most watched societies on the planet."

By Killer Whale
He got an indeterminate sentence with a minimum of five years. This is a device to ensure that if he remains a nutter he will remain in prison.
Clearly what Cooper did was a serious crime, any act of violence causing injury is serious. However, the devices he sent were capable of causing someone to lose an eye or a finger and little more, they would not kill anyone. Hence I was surprised to read that he has received an 'indeterminate' sentence when IRA killers got far less punishment. This sentence looks like retribution for him speaking out against the surveillance state in court. Had he not exposed his motives would he have received such a draconian sentence? I doubt it.
- Alastair Mcgowan, Abergavenny, UK
All IRA killers were let off with a slapped wrist. Fact.
By bairy
Killer Whale wrote:
Clearly what Cooper did was a serious crime, any act of violence causing injury is serious. However, the devices he sent were capable of causing someone to lose an eye or a finger and little more, they would not kill anyone. Hence I was surprised to read that he has received an 'indeterminate' sentence when IRA killers got far less punishment. This sentence looks like retribution for him speaking out against the surveillance state in court. Had he not exposed his motives would he have received such a draconian sentence? I doubt it.
"Had he only sent bombs cos he was a bit bored, I bet he'd have only got a year".
Put the Mail down Alastair, seriously.

What's the IRA got to do with anything, that was years ago.
By Beast of Bolsover
Membership Days Membership Days
The devices were far from minor , the descriptions sound deeply unpleasant , here's an example

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7012581.stm
One type was designed to fire a nail at the victim. The other sprayed shards of glass.
I can't help thinking that the main surveillance targets involved firms concerned with traffic surveillance . You have the oh so humorous likes of Clarkson doing bits on people destroying cameras ,whose attitude is repeated ad nauseum elsewhere, then you get this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... hor_id=244

or this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... rtComments

and just look at some of the comments.

I'll give you 3 to 1 odds Captain Stupid read the Mail and thought he was justified to go one step further.

By daveinbrum
Killer Whale wrote:He got an indeterminate sentence with a minimum of five years. This is a device to ensure that if he remains a nutter he will remain in prison.
All IRA killers were let off with a slapped wrist. Fact.

Yeah, who cares about losing an eye or a finger, eh Alastair? Is this guy for real?
Labour, Generally.

Ian Lavery was on TV this evening doing his Plain-[…]

Labour Policies 2019/20

A thread to discuss the several policies which wil[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Well, I suggested taking the batteries out and l[…]

The Today Programme

He already has a Mail column, doesn't he?