Archive of old topics pre-October 2007. PM a mod to get one reopened
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Sealink
Membership Days
How do you stay positive against the tide of Daily Mail-ness?
The posts I referred to in the Streatham Guardian 'Have Your Say' thread have depressed me no end. The lack of shame of people who would happily see others suffer. How doing good is worthy of contempt. Makes me wonder if Britain is about to go to a dark page.
By bairy
Membership Days Posts
Sealink wrote:How do you stay positive against the tide of Daily Mail-ness?

By continually realising that most of the "big stories" are so biased that they border on completely made up.

when the mail drones on about immigration "floods" they only quote from negative sources - migration watch, the odd cop saying "crime has gone up!" (but not mention that the immigrants can be a victim of crime).

when the mail drones on about the evil internet it's so completely full of bollocks that even my mum - a daily mail fan and all round technophobe - can see how shit it is

And one word: littlejohn. The fact they still employ that unfunny, racist, homophobic, can't write without including a stream of insults, moron who just drones out the same old shite week after week.. that tells it all really.

So to me, the fact they're so obviously rubbish suggests the world isn't as bad as they say.

If you mean the commentors... I've found from experience that the most opinated people are the most verbal. The ones who have a good opinion or no opinion stay quiet. Therefore it can appear that most people are negative whereas that's probably not the case.
Also, the more opinionated people really think they know everything.
People like Weems who frequently claims "this country is full to bursting!". If she was asked to explain that I don't think she'd have an answer other than "well er mr policeman from middle of nowhere said..."
Others say things like "oh one policeman was caught speeding therefore they're all corrupt and bent". It's depressing there are people that stupid but they're in the minority.

By Becka
Membership Days
How do you stay positive against the tide of Daily Mail-ness?

By coming on here.

And remember, a wise man once said 'your anger is a gift' :wink:
By Adam
Membership Days Posts
bairy wrote: I've found from experience that the most opinated people are the most verbal. The ones who have a good opinion or no opinion stay quiet. Therefore it can appear that most people are negative whereas that's probably not the case.

As my stolidly Yorkshire grandfather is fond of saying "Empty barrels make the most noise".

The Mail boards and this sort of thing are a sort of feedback loop: only the people who feel really, really strongly bother (the vocal minority, rather than the polar opposite they claim to be), and they are confronted with a wall of opinion that almost identically matches their own, which confirms their belief, making them more confident to express it and so on.

The fact that the comments are so heavily moderated and that people tend to visit sites and sources that reflect rather than challenge their opinion (as do we, this isn't just aimed at the Mail-ites) exacerbates this.

People, on the whole, are far more reasonable than the few yelling fuckwitted self-appointed spokespeople would have you believe.

By cycloon
Membership Days Posts
What a great saying. And nice little reference there Becka ^^

I'll add that saying to my mantras: Socrates's 'All I know is I know nothing' and something else which I've forgotten, oddly.

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Posts
Flo Rida also elaborated on the title of the album stating, "Well, this record is like my special delivery for the fans. It’s not something you can get during the six regular mail delivery days. You need that extra day for your prized possessions. That’s Mail on Sunday."

First time ever anyones linked "Mail on Sunday" with "prized possessions"?
By Adam
Membership Days Posts
Flo Rida wrote:I got a song called 'Pee Pee,'

You'd think he'd have paid very close attention to what happened to R Kelly and steered clare of that one.

By Citizen Cain
Membership Days
By realizing I am smarter by them, and having an ironic, whimsical take on life.

By Citizen Cain
Membership Days
By realizing I am smarter by them, and having an ironic, whimsical take on life.

By Becka
Membership Days

Good enough to do it twice :wink:
SPOTY

I'd imagine Froome being caught with his glow on d[…]

It passes the time on the drives to work, although[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

From the Guardian at https://www.theguardian.com/p[…]

Theresa May

Let's not forget that she could have secured her j[…]