Archive of old topics pre-October 2007. PM a mod to get one reopened
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By DisgustedOfTunbridgeWells
Membership Days
Finally finished 'flat earth news' today and what surprised me most is the notion of astroturf groups, these are basically official sounding bodies that are little more than some forty year old twat in his parents loft surrounded by anneka rice posters blathering on about darkies. Basically you can setup a group, call it "The British council for the resettlement of sambo", put out regular press releases (freely via AP), talk as much bollocks as you like and there's absolutely nothing to stop you, a good example of this is 'christian voice' which is as far as I can tell, is just stephen green, there are no other members (unless you count a single patron) the hate, in particular, use green as a rentaquote whenever they're sticking the boot in to Muslims, purely on the basis of being a gosbhite with an internet connection, green has ended up on question time.

So what I was wondering was - could we set up such a group, I'm not sure if they're registered as charities or if there's a special 'nutter' status for such things, put out loony press releases and see if we can get it into the hate or the express, maybe call ourselves "the council for the abolition of human rights" or something equally as mental.

By tc-obo
Membership Days Posts
can we not do the Politically Correct Brigade? think of the fun
By Verity
Membership Days
You realise technically if we called ourselves the 'Politically Correct Brigade'.. then we may cause new news stories to be published in the mail all based on a certain 'quote' from us?

'PC Brigade intends to trample on middle class and our rights'

'PC Brigade defiant in face of opposition'

or something more amusing..?

Or would the Daily Mail actually publish PC Brigade quotes or not?

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Posts
Surely that has to be worth a try, if just to provoke the reaction. You know you shouldn't poke the poisonous snake with the stick, but for some reason you feel the uncontrollable urge...
By bairy
Membership Days Posts
I reckon it could be fun. I wouldn't suggest starting with "PC Brigade" though. I'd make up some group against a minor mail peeve then see how much they use you and in what way.

If you can get Wilma Wheatacre as the chairwoman, that would be very cool.

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Posts
Speed Cameras 4 a safer Britain?

Everybody loves immigrants?

By DisgustedOfTunbridgeWells
Membership Days
I suppose there's not a whole lot to stop us from playing both sides, on the one hand have "The british council for the advancement of political correctness" and on the other have, as bairy suggests something that's against one of their pet peeves.

There's already a 'campaign against pc gone mad' or whatever the arse it's called though davies seem's to have shut his hate filled mouth after the incident in windsor(?) so that'd be relatively fruitless.

I think, ideally, we'd need to associate with an in group or against an out group - The alliance for the law abiding majority (statistically proven not to exist) or as I initially suggested, something against human rights.

I can't see it being particularly difficult to get a parliamentary spokesperson either, if we can get our name flashed a few times, especially if the 'campaign against pc gone mad' can get one, there's always some grabbing twatty little backbencher like davies looking to get their name about.

By Rob
Membership Days Posts
If we made the PC brigade, can u imagine the hate mail we would get
By Paul
Membership Days Posts
Should it have the word "Alliance" in it somewhere as in rent a quote,

TaxPayers Alliance
By girlsailor
Membership Days
This sounds like a great idea. I, for one, would definitely join. But there's the problem of if we support something the Mail hates, then they wouldn't take quotes. If it's something they're in favour of, how can we be subversive?
By Verity
Membership Days
Alliance is always a good word to have!

So how about:

Pro-Speed Cameras Alliance?

Don't go for 'PC Brigade' quite yet, like others have said.. it may then seem too obvious otherwise :)

Also, I just noticed the above post... well we could still be noticed by the Mail and have quotes used although supporting something they don't like if we made deliberately 'outlandish' quotes (that they'd use in order to 'be shocked at') like:

'We want speed-cameras covering every part of Britain, no-one will be able to escape'

or something overbearing and extreme like that!
By Adrian
Membership Days Posts
Verity wrote:Alliance is always a good word to have!

So how about:

Pro-Speed Cameras Alliance?

Don't go for 'PC Brigade' quite yet, like others have said.. it may then seem too obvious otherwise :)

Also, I just noticed the above post... well we could still be noticed by the Mail and have quotes used although supporting something they don't like if we made deliberately 'outlandish' quotes (that they'd use in order to 'be shocked at') like:

'We want speed-cameras covering every part of Britain, no-one will be able to escape'

or something overbearing and extreme like that!

How about summat a bit broader, like the 'Health and Safety Alliance'? I would have thought they'd be someone more opportunity for quotage there.

By Killer Whale
Membership Days Posts
It has to be something stupidly right wing or the Mail will not be interested. Something authoritarian masquerading as a libertarian organisation: How about an organisation promoting 'Family Freedoms' such as the right to beat your kids, defend your home with landmines, and rape your wife?

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Posts
Middle-class Coalition
Fighting For The Silent Majority

Apologies, I do this shit for a living.
By girlsailor
Membership Days
Daley Mayle wrote:Middle-class Coalition
Fighting For The Silent Majority

Apologies, I do this shit for a living.

What do you do for a living?
SPOTY