Archive of topics from before June 2012. PM a mod to get one reopened.
  •  
  •  
  •  

By IanC
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Blue Lithium wrote: So the Mail now hates gays more than drug addicts. Okay..
Errr, not surprising really.
jonnyhead wrote:
Thank gooness these kids are now in the process of getting a stable family life. I am sure after everything they have been through this is the very least they deserve.. Good luck to the dads and their new lovely Family.
Anon, Newcastle, 30/1/2009 7:44
Rating -1547

:shock:
:shock: Woah! And its a perfectly good comment.
By moonkatt
Membership Days Membership Days
The second I read the comments on this I was amused. I'm getting used to the fact that the readers find the most sensible comment abhorrent. Its also nice to know that theres a group of workers hated by the general mail reader more than my own (nursing).
Nobody here knows all the facts.
Click to rate Rating 176- Heather, Lancaster, 29/1/2009 0:41
Looks like the mail readers do. Fuckwits.
By Apples
The comment below received 225 red arrows in response to this story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ldren.html

I don't think this view will be poplular, but social workers get an unfair press in stories like these, it's the courts who decide whether children are taken away or not, in most cases social services have a policy of trying to keep families together, but again the ultimate decision lies with the courts, because of confidentiality rules social services can never get their side of the story across, these reports are very biased and the public are not told the full story. I'm very sorry for what this family has gone through and I am happy to concede that in certain cases social services have failed, but we must all think twice before condemning a public service that is under resourced and overstretched and is only trying to protect children with the resources it has. Criticising our social workers only makes matters worse in the long term for the children they are trying to help, I notice we never see published the many cases where childrens lives have been saved by social workers.
- Lou, London, 4/4/2009 22:54
Click to rate Rating -225
By Dan Widdecombe
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... l#comments
What qualifications do these Social Workers have, they get it wrong so often, I think they just pick something out of the air. Most are just Jobsworths.
Click to rate Rating 14- Stan still, UK, 7/4/2009 23:27
These are Stan's findings after no doubt exhaustive research into Social services.
What a disgrace, time to get rid of social worker's they are about as efficient as politicians.
Click to rate Rating 17- Stephen P N, Leeds, West Yorkshire, 7/4/2009 22:34
I think Stephen may have just coe up with a fantastic new idea on how to reform Social Services in the UK. Sack the Social Workers, problem solved. Stephen P N of Leeds, make him PM now!
I'm speechless...utterly utterlyy speechless! When will the NuLabour experiement end and give us the chance to get this country back to some sort of normality. I grieve for it, I grieve for us and I grieve for tomorrow
Click to rate Rating 6- Jon, Belfast, 7/4/2009 23:36
What a moving comment.
By Fozzy
That story is an absolutely classic example of press manipulation. The same couple popped up a few weeks ago in a rather more neutral report, but basically making the same complaint, and the vast majority of the comments were along the lines of "Actually, the social workers are probably right, it really is a bit early to be thinking of adoption." Now they have printed the same story but in much more emotive terms, and they get the majority of the commentators foaming at the mouth about evil social workers.
By Paul
Fozzy wrote:That story is an absolutely classic example of press manipulation. The same couple popped up a few weeks ago in a rather more neutral report, but basically making the same complaint, and the vast majority of the comments were along the lines of "Actually, the social workers are probably right, it really is a bit early to be thinking of adoption." Now they have printed the same story but in much more emotive terms, and they get the majority of the commentators foaming at the mouth about evil social workers.
Have you tried posting that in the Mail?
By Fozzy
Have you tried posting that in the Mail?
I didn't, for once, and the story now seems to have disappeared off the front of the website. However, when I tracked it down I noted that the more recent comments seem rather more balanced and, interestingly, the ones slagging off the social workers tend to be red arrowed. So maybe they took it off the website because it was another misfire on their part.

However, I was puzzled by this comment -
This is so wrong.In my opinion Social Services get most things wrong.I think the Daily Mail Editor and readers should be asked what the right thing to do is in these cases.They are never wrong!
Click to rate Rating 4- peter Moffatt, hastings, 8/4/2009 7:37
In other circumstances I would have thought it was a piss-take, but it seems unlikely in the context of a story about two dead children, so maybe (and depressingly) he actually means it.
By amcneil74
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... vices.html

Social Services have obviously been affected by the outcry about Baby P, and who can blame them for not taking chances?

Last night a spokesman for Somerset Council said:'Children's Social Care are working closely with the mother to enable her to return to caring for her son.'

They refused to discuss the background to the case, or the reasons for their extreme intervention which is bound to re-fuel the debate over the smacking of children by parents.
So we don't know the background at all.

However:

If I was that mother I'd be sorting out a very expensive lawyer very quickly to have a judicial review to get my son back before the SS have him adopted or he gets 'cared for' by some state-employed paedophile.
Click to rate Rating 886 - Rick Menson, Coventry, 9/4/2009 14:52
Another Witch-hunt by the meddling PC Crowd......
Click to rate Rating 1166 - Peter Jones, Amersham, UK, 9/4/2009 14:52
Utter madness.

A couple of smacks with a brush does not equal abuse.

You can be sure that the real menaces are left well alone by social services.
Click to rate Rating 429 - Dino Fancellu, Epsom, 9/4/2009 15:51
This happens everytime when the Local Authorities fail by taking action on the little things.
After the baby P scandal the LAs resort to this rather than target the real problems. Other examples include:
Steven Lawrence
Knife/gang culture
Cultural awaremess
Click to rate Rating 91 - Jonnyboy, London, 9/4/2009 16:01
:? :?

I'm sorry but Social Services should be chasing the lax parents that don't smack their kids.......Undisciplined brats are the feral youths of tomorrow. Ever read Lord of the Flies ??
Click to rate Rating 61 - Salty Dog, Stockton on Tees, 9/4/2009 16:08
Now let me get this straight... If you smack your child, they take away; if you break your child's spine and ribs and pull out his finger nails, they do nothing.

Social services - don't you just love them!

And I'll never give another penny to the NSPCC. The laws in this country are too stiff as it is and, more to the point, do not work. If I ever see the plonker who made that stupid remark, I'll hit him with more than a hairbrush.

Adults do get hit with hairbrushes. I once got hit by my partner during a row. I didn't report her though.
Click to rate Rating 27 - Napoleon XXIV, London England, 9/4/2009 16:17
Cuntox

And this one is heavily in the red:
You can't win - if the teacher ignored this boy's cry for help and something more serious happened in the future that would be unforgiveable. If the boy was in enough pain (physical or emotional) to speak to a teacher then something had to be done - the child was hurt and scared and how hard must he have been hit to still be sore at school?

I hope he is okay.
Click to rate Rating 319 - Can't win, Wiltshire, 9/4/2009 15:56
By Mr Mordon
Quote:
If I was that mother I'd be sorting out a very expensive lawyer very quickly to have a judicial review to get my son back before the SS have him adopted or he gets 'cared for' by some state-employed paedophile.
Click to rate Rating 886 - Rick Menson, Coventry, 9/4/2009 14:52
Thats one of the worst comments ive seen for sometime

What an absolute nanfister :x

By davidjay
I'm speechless...utterly utterlyy speechless! When will the NuLabour experiement end and give us the chance to get this country back to some sort of normality. I grieve for it, I grieve for us and I grieve for tomorrow
Click to rate Rating 6- Jon, Belfast, 7/4/2009 23:36
I'd have thought living in Belfast Jon would have known greater reasons for not living a nornal life than the actions of a couple of social workers.
By Apples
I've posted this in response to this story, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -wife.html
I very much doubt I'll see it posted though:

"Yet again everyone blames Social Services, and Social Services cannot respond due to confidentiality laws. They were trying their best, it takes a while to put care packages in place, this unfortunate gentleman would not have been the only person on their books, families can intervene in cases like these and don't have to feel they are 'prisoners of the system' because they are not. I wish the Daily Mail and other publications would stop this incessant bashing of an agency that tries very hard in really difficult circumstances. All the good socal workers are leaving the profession because of the constant villification they get, it's not fair, if there was no Social Services at all we would have a lot more tragedies in the papers every day. I shall put my shield up for the red arrows now. "

The thing is, I know a fantastic Social Worker who really cares about her profession and works damn hard, she is thinking of leaving the profession partly because of the attitudes of people who believe the biased shit served up in stories like this, my social worker friend has wirked for years at her profession and no-one understands how difficult it is, she spends days helping people with mostly positive outcomes then gets spat on in the corridor (by cunts who believe the crap dished up by the Daily Mail) because she walks out of a door marked 'social services' (true story). It's very unfair.
"Boris" Johnson

Listening to small businessmen complaining after[…]

Rishi Sunak

https://theconversationuk.cmail20.com/t/r-l-tlbhjj[…]

Michael Gove

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/04/br[…]

The Purple Bricks and Nationwide ads compete for m[…]