Archive of topics from before June 2012. PM a mod to get one reopened.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By AOB
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Fozzy wrote:A good test for that sort of person is to talk about the dreadful rigor mortis that someone you know has been suffering from.
She'd probably say that she once found a dead body, so she knows about rigor mortis in that respect. And use the opportunity to tell everyone how traumatised she was.

I reckon that kind of "Trisha syndrome" is the kind of one-upmanship experienced in most school classes. There was always a kid who had to go one better than the rest. Along the lines of, for example, if one kid said they'd been to America during the summer holidays then the "one better kid" would chime in that he went to both America and Mexico before flying home from Rio in Brazil. If someone had done something they'd always have done it too, plus more.
AOB wrote:
I reckon that kind of "Trisha syndrome" is the kind of one-upmanship experienced in most school classes. There was always a kid who had to go one better than the rest. Along the lines of, for example, if one kid said they'd been to America during the summer holidays then the "one better kid" would chime in that he went to both America and Mexico before flying home from Rio in Brazil. If someone had done something they'd always have done it too, plus more.
We had one of those. He said in 1983 that he'd been on holiday to the USA (true), seen the new Star Wars film (maybe) and that in it, they "go to Earth" (hmm, OK Endor's nice and tree-ish, I think he was confusing it with an episode of old Battlestar Galactica) and that he'd met Michael Jackson (ha ha ha). Meanwhile we had 2 weeks in a caravan in Woolacombe.

Not that I have issues or anything. :lol:
Remember this story?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -away.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Top-rated comment (1993 in the green) - "This young woman looks perfectly capable to me. So she has mild learning difficulties, why not assign a Social Worker to her to HELP her bring her child up? I hope these people are proud of themselves.

No they go after easy targets. Is this mother likely to abuse her child? I don't think so.

I hope she fights for her Human Rights to have her child brought up by her. Can the person who was helping her find a good lawyer to fight her case?"

Compare and contrast:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... DWARF.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Defence said she was 'inadequate in many ways'. No sympathy from Mailites, needless to say.

I wouldn't mind so much if they could just be consistent....
By glasgowgril
Membership Days Posts
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... other.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here we go again, complete with approving comments about the evil social workers. But this time we see why Mailites are so sympathetic towards this particular girl, who at first sight looks like standard Mailite hate-fodder (young, unmarried mother) - "Yes, Kerry does have some learning difficulties – the way she sees everything in such a black-and-white way is one of the reasons why I adore her"
glasgowgril wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... other.html

Here we go again, complete with approving comments about the evil social workers. But this time we see why Mailites are so sympathetic towards this particular girl, who at first sight looks like standard Mailite hate-fodder (young, unmarried mother) - "Yes, Kerry does have some learning difficulties – the way she sees everything in such a black-and-white way is one of the reasons why I adore her"
Whatever the rights and wrongs here, and we simply don't have enough information to make a sensible opinion, the Mail is acting disgracefully in calling her 'stupid' and 'weak minded'.

This story has been picked up in several other media sources including Enable (an organisation dealing with people in Scotland with learning difficulties), and they seem to have no more information themselves, and there are no statements from the social services department concerned, however the Mail says that she has never been assessed 'psychologically' (which is a dodgy way of expressing it - the necessary evaluation would be educational) and yet she was in the 'remedial class' throughout her school career.

When brought up by her grandmother she was a social services 'case'. This would lead us to believe that there are some difficulties, and although I agree that learning disabilities do not lead to loving disabilities, they can also lead to damage to babies due to lack of foresight or intelligence - there was a baby a while back who was badly injured when its mother put it into a very hot bath, for example, because she forgot to check the temperature.

So, whatever the truth, the Mail is milking this for all it can get, and bugger the three people at the centre of the story.
The interesting thing is watching how blatantly the readership is being manipulated. It's almost as if the journalists were having a bet to see how many Mailite hate fodder boxes they can tick and yet still present a story in such a way that the readership will obediently say 'aaaahhh' rather than howling with rage and loathing. Nah, surely not.

BTW Malcolm, from my experience of having a child with learning difficulties, they're half-right about the psychologically bit, in that in Scotland at any rate the placement in a school is largely the province of educational psychologists, with whom I have had a fair bit to do in my day. I always found them very reasonable people to deal with and never had any real disagreements with them. I don't know if placements for kids with special needs are done differently in England.
By J
Membership Days
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:So, whatever the truth, the Mail is milking this for all it can get, and bugger the three people at the centre of the story.
I just about gagged on the sentimentalist sensationalism. The word 'stupid' is bandied about in quotation marks and it doesn't appear, at least to my one quick read through, to be actually attributed to any source. I doubt social workers called her 'stupid' but there are obvious bad guys in this story and some nasty name calling. "They judged her too 'stupid'" doesn't mean that was their phrasing.

It's full of effusive saccharine blah. She's a slender brunette whose baby wasn't just taken into care, it was torn from her lactating breast. The parents are resourceful, resilient, fighting for what is right and so on and so on. It's quite alright to meet the questions of 'patronising' social workers with silence but I seem to remember Mail readers raging about those involved in the Baby P case for having being brushed off too easily? Well which way is it?

I'm left wondering why their readership aren't feeling immensely patronised. Any smart 12 year old would read that article and think there was something a bit funny about it even if they couldn't quite put their finger on what it was. I do think that many people must know in the back of their mind that they are being played like a piano but privately love this and have no interest in engaging with reality. They just selfishly want their bigotry fed another morsel and the appearance of some validation for their infantile tantrums, regardless of the consequences for others. Their sanctimonious glow is for themselves, not for this family.

Social workers don't just reach decisions like this on the spur of the moment but it suits the Mail to paint that picture. Any sensible person knows they don't just march in to hospitals and snatch babies on a cruel whim so why do so many people get such a buzz out of sustaining this crap? It's really not a healthy way to get your kicks.

On a recent story somebody was ranting and demanding to know why all social workers are loony left liberals. Perhaps they should wonder why so few are right wing types? Maybe working with people in incredibly difficult circumstances is more than some people are willing to take on?

To hell with the Mail, it spreads hysteria about social problems than savages the people actually prepared to do something about them. What exactly do they want?
glasgowgril wrote:
BTW Malcolm, from my experience of having a child with learning difficulties, they're half-right about the psychologically bit, in that in Scotland at any rate the placement in a school is largely the province of educational psychologists, with whom I have had a fair bit to do in my day. I always found them very reasonable people to deal with and never had any real disagreements with them. I don't know if placements for kids with special needs are done differently in England.
No, much the same. I was thinking that this girl's assessment wouldn't be 'psychological' it would be educational (cognitive rather than behavioural difficulties), and if you wanted to split hairs you could say that she hadn't been assessed in one way, even if she had been in another.
Certainly in England to get into the 'remedial class' - whatever that might be and I suspect it doesn't exist - you would need a school assessment at least. If she wasn't statemented the social workers are on weak ground, I would think.

Do you have 'remedial classes' in Scotland? Or would she be the subject of Learning Support?
"Do you have 'remedial classes' in Scotland? Or would she be the subject of Learning Support?"

My son went to a special school (severe and complex LD) and his assessment was mostly to see which special school would be the one for him, not whether he could go to mainstream school, because it was obvious he couldn't. So I can't swear to the current system in mainstream schools. I thought the way they worked it was to have learning support assistants in mainstream classes, up to one-to-one where necessary, but I have heard of mainstream schools with special needs units, eg for pupils with autism who are of normal or near normal ability otherwise, so perhaps this is what they mean. Certainly I would have thought 'remedial class' was a very outdated way of referring to anything like this, though as it's the DM I shouldn't be surprised.
Mark Francois MP

Have you noticed the stains on his shiny suit?

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Normally I don't respond to the Demon Headmaster[…]

The Sun

Well, if the government are losing the PR war, whe[…]

Labour, Generally.

Corbyn has woken up (or somebody with sense has wh[…]