Archive of topics from before June 2012. PM a mod to get one reopened.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Some more news from the local elections...

- The BNP have been wiped out in Barking & Dagenham and have lost 22 in total across the board.
- The Tories have lost nine councils and 78 councillors
- Labour have gained 249 councillors and 9 councils
- Labour have gained Doncaster, which means the English Democrat mayor is kicked out
- Good from my pointof view, Labour gains Coventry

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/electi ... _99999.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By tc-obo
bluebellnutter wrote: - Labour have gained Doncaster, which means the English Democrat mayor is kicked out
Does it, though? I was under the impression that, as a directly-elected mayor, he was serving a term of office until the next mayoral elections, not the next council ones.

By bluebellnutter
tc-obo wrote:
bluebellnutter wrote: - Labour have gained Doncaster, which means the English Democrat mayor is kicked out
Does it, though? I was under the impression that, as a directly-elected mayor, he was serving a term of office until the next mayoral elections, not the next council ones.
I'm just going by what was told to me by someone who lives in Donny, I assumed if anyone knew they would.
By tc-obo
Technically I think the English Democrats only want an English parliament as a solution to the West Lothian question. I disagree with them - I favour elected regional assemblies - but it's a valid political position. It's just the fact that the rest of their policies are right-wing dog-whistle bollocks that makes them ludicrous.
By Andy McDandy
Ealing went Labour.

I'll just repeat that - EALING WENT LABOUR.

Considering that this borough, up until last Wednesday had a handful of labour councillors, the Council tax has been frozen for the last 2 years under the old Tory regime, and it's bastard "Stick a blue rosette on a chimp and see it get in" Ealing...it's now 40 Labour, 24 Conservative, 5 LD.

I know that the attention is all (rightly) on who gets into No. 10, but the local elections should put a few smiles on faces. And just confuse the hell out of many others...

By Samanfur
Rossendale and Darwen went Tory.

Given that this is generally a part of the world where a monkey in a red rosette would win, quite a few people're worried.

But given the amount of UKIP pamphleteering and BNP graffiti around the place, it could've been worse.

I'm still wishing that I was a fly on the wall when some BNP twonk decided to campaign in the middle of Denbigh town centre and - as if that wasn't a silly enough decision - tried schmoozing my Dad. I'd have paid to see the reaction to that.
By mattomac
Right to bump this for this week, Wales is going to the polls locally, I get to attend my first count as a counting agent for one of the local Labour candidates, going be pretty nervous I'm usually slightly detached/Know we have no chance of winning (Having lived in Tory/Lib Dem wards all my life).

What is happening for others

By Abernathy
I'm a Labour Election Agent for the umpteenth time. Particularly nervy (but excellent) candidate who still thinks she might lose every five minutes - she won't. Roll on Thursday.
Labour, Generally.

Ian Lavery was on TV this evening doing his Plain-[…]

Labour Policies 2019/20

A thread to discuss the several policies which wil[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Well, I suggested taking the batteries out and l[…]

The Today Programme

He already has a Mail column, doesn't he?