Archive of topics from before June 2012. PM a mod to get one reopened.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Waterstones wrote:Can anybody on here tell me what The Mail's stand on abortion is?,I ask because they really seemed to want the 24-hour limit cut when it came up for a vote in 2007,yet they really don't like the thought of abortion places being firebombed judging from that article that was in the Mail a few weeks ago on abortion violence in America but given how they don't abortion anyway I would thought that would have been up their street,any thoughts? :?
That would depend surely on the social class of the mother-to-be. Abortion would be a Good Thing were she a feckless, unmarried, council house hunting drain on society (probably already with that which they insultingly call a 'litter'). Indeed, it stands to reason that we - the middle classes - would all be better off if she was sterilised.
By storygirl
Membership Days Posts
Kreuzberger wrote:
Waterstones wrote:Can anybody on here tell me what The Mail's stand on abortion is?,I ask because they really seemed to want the 24-hour limit cut when it came up for a vote in 2007,yet they really don't like the thought of abortion places being firebombed judging from that article that was in the Mail a few weeks ago on abortion violence in America but given how they don't abortion anyway I would thought that would have been up their street,any thoughts? :?
That would depend surely on the social class of the mother-to-be. Abortion would be a Good Thing were she a feckless, unmarried, council house hunting drain on society (probably already with that which they insultingly call a 'litter'). Indeed, it stands to reason that we - the middle classes - would all be better off if she was sterilised.
It is simpler,and more complex than that.
Put simply the Fail will not oppose abortion,because it knows within its middle class readership that would be unpopular.Never make the mistake of assuming the Fail has morals,it has policies to increase circulation.

They believe in a womans right to choose,so long as they approve of the woman.

Personally i am anti abortion,for myself,but believe it should be available to all.A far to grey position for the Fail.
By ACG
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
i think abortion is an issue for the mail not because of what it is per-say but because of it's complexity, the 1950's ideal they strive for in terms of abortion and the other consiquences of unwanted pregnancy has less to do with them prefering the solutions and legal situations of the time, and more to do with prefering that fact that no one used to talk about or acknowledge these things.
the "out of sight out of mind" way of doing things.
By glasgowgril
Membership Days Posts
I'm sure that's true - and also, perhaps, because before abortion was legalised there was a good chance that bad girls (ie lower class ones) who had abortions under less than ideal conditions were quite likely to die as a result. Thus letting everyone know how bad they were. NOW lower-class slags (copyright Mailites everywhere) can have abortions and nobody need know. Shocking.

By ezinra
Membership Days Posts
My Charlie, born at 23 weeks, the living proof that abortion limit has to be slashed

Human interest story used to push political agenda.
He's a wonderful little boy but, let's face it, women who choose to have late abortions don't really give a fig about their babies. It's all about their personal convenience.

- Reubenene, Somewhere In The World, 07/8/2011 23:33 Rating 162
If they didn't give a fig, surely they'd have the abortion immediately?

By SewerUrchin
Membership Days
I only really understand disagreeing with abortion as being a personal thing; as in "I personally wouldn't do it". The people who want it outlawed altogether because one woman's kid managed to survive a premature birth will presumably be absolutely fine with looking after all the babies forced into the world against the mother's wishes, right?

By hel
The way these stories are presented piss me off so much. The Mail and its readers don't want any foetuses aborted or premature babies allowed to die, but they don't want to pay for unwanted or disabled children either. I don't think they see any connection between the babies they want the NHS to save at all costs, and the teenagers/adults they become who they don't want the state to support.
A lot of seriously premature kids (say, halfway through pregnancy) cannot be saved and many of those who survive are left disabled (sometimes as a result of the operations that save them), but the media only mentions the tiny minority that are healthy and able-bodied, and people get the impression that they are all like that and policy should be based on that minority because they're more visible. No matter what the circumstances are, the story and the language are always exactly the same: the so-called experts and doctors tell the parents that the child will die, the parents ignore them, the parents are strong and never stop believing in their little angel, the child is strong and brave and a born survivor, and at some arbitary point a couple of years later the child is declared a little miracle and presented to the press. The reason for the kid's survival always comes from within the child or parents or from some supernatural/spiritual source and is never anything to do with science/medicine, which pisses me off no end (if that same child was born in some war-torn, poverty-stricken, third-world country, had no access to medical care, and still survived, then THAT would be a miracle). They also keep very quiet about the ones that survive but are disabled for life, presumably as it might make the "cut incapacity and unemployment benefits for the lazy sods" article on the next page look a bit hypocritical.
By mattomac
I'm totally pro Choice, it is the woman's view and I would hope that Woman in that position was given the correct medical advice by health professionals.

I keep seeing around Swansea leaflets left in bus shelters promoting a help group for people considering abortion, read carefully it preaches all sorts of nasty rhetoric, I pity the vulnerable person who is picked up by them.

Any time I see it I tear it up, maybe I should be offering the person that option but if she is considering abortion she will have to visit the Doctors in the end, it's best she goes in with a clear mind and not with hysterical religious dogma.

By Lord Reason
Membership Days
Waterstones wrote:The Mail can't stand single Mothers,but if one of them want a abortion in Daily Mail land they are scum.What the fuck gives? :twisted:
I think it might be the "C" word again. Still at least they haven't suggested some sort of sterilisation programme for the lower end of these groups. :mrgreen:

By hel
Thanks glasgowgril :)
I've just realised that there is actually another situation where abortion is perfectly OK with the Mail: when a foetus might be gay. That's absolutely fine with them. But abortion on medical grounds is "playing god."

By Lord Reason
Membership Days
hel wrote:Thanks glasgowgril :)
I've just realised that there is actually another situation where abortion is perfectly OK with the Mail: when a foetus might be gay. That's absolutely fine with them. But abortion on medical grounds is "playing god."
A gay foetus? :mrgreen: I'll set you up here - how can they tell?

By hel
Lord Reason wrote:
hel wrote:Thanks glasgowgril :)
A gay foetus? :mrgreen: I'll set you up here - how can they tell?
:lol:
There seriously was a day a few years ago when all the papers had headlines along the lines of "Have we found the gay gene?", except for the Mail which had "Abortion hope in gay gene find."
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

That's not exactly a quick read, but the gist of i[…]

The LibDems, generally

Spotted this elsewhere. Warning: contains Piers Mo[…]

GE 2020

The deluded fuckwit still thinks there's such a […]

David Cameron

Compassionate conservatism: putting professionals […]