Archive of topics from before June 2012. PM a mod to get one reopened.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
 
By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#159047
Eugenics, anybody?

I'm sure a lot of Mailies would go for it. Despite the irony that under any decent eugenics programme they, personally, would never have been born.
By Big Rob
#159049
When you have a large ego then eugenics can seem like a good idea.... for other people of course...

Of course this is inconsistent with being anti-abortion. Living here with a whole load of anti-abortionists the sheer selfishness of their position never ceases to shock me. That's the difference between the US fundie and the UK mailite.

The US fundie want to stop others from aborting their foetuses because it will save their soul (yes they are that bonkers). In the UK it is more seen as taking responsibility for one actions and to impose a morality on sexual behavior.

The irony is in the US is once you have that child you can fuck off if you want 'handouts' or healthcare afterwards. As I said, stopping the death of the unborn will get you to heaven....
 
By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#159050
I once stayed in a cheap hotel in Alexandria, VA. There was an evangelical Christian group there, one of whom had a young teenage child in a wheelchair, clearly mentally disabled. We were woken several times by the family hysterically screaming at her, and their treatment of her at mealtimes was barbaric. The moral leaders, eh?
By InkyGB
Membership Days
#159090
Big Rob wrote:Spare the rod....

There are 25 churches in this town of 5000 people. Most sects think the other one is going to hell for heresy. Christian unity for you....
For anyone who hasn't heard this one before...
Emo Phillips wrote:Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.
 
By Ebon Badger
Membership Days
#159095
There's a huge sect, I think it's World of God or Assembly of God or something like that, where basically they think if you turn to God first and only FOR EVERYTHING then it'll all work out, and if it doesn't then you must be thinking bad thoughts or deserve it in some way. What this means in practice is that kids are told not only that they aren't ill but are chastised for not magically being fine. And that's before we factor in groups like "christian science" (who have bugger all idea about science); you end up with a worrying number of people in a 1st world country who think you can make shit better by making wishes.
By Big Rob
#159106
Emo Phillips wrote:Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.


That's what you have here effectively.

Got an ex-southern baptist, now atheist, friend who once asked his father (southern baptist minister) about the people going into to the catholic church over the road. His father told him that those people were going to hell.
By Gourami
Membership Days Posts
#159109
Ebon Badger wrote:...And that's before we factor in groups like "christian science" (who have bugger all idea about science)
Ah, but they do have the word 'science' in their name and if you know fuck all about science then they're home and dry.
Ebon Badger wrote:you end up with a worrying number of people in a 1st world country who think you can make shit better by making wishes.
Do you know this book?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Breaking-Spell- ... 820&sr=8-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon - Daniel Dennett

Good stuff with a nice very unpacking of the urge to pray. If I won the lottery, which won't happen as I object to paying stupidity tax, then I'd spend a fair share of my wealth replacing copies of the Gideon bible with this.
 
By hel
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#159274
Ebon Badger wrote:There's a huge sect, I think it's World of God or Assembly of God or something like that, where basically they think if you turn to God first and only FOR EVERYTHING then it'll all work out, and if it doesn't then you must be thinking bad thoughts or deserve it in some way. What this means in practice is that kids are told not only that they aren't ill but are chastised for not magically being fine. And that's before we factor in groups like "christian science" (who have bugger all idea about science); you end up with a worrying number of people in a 1st world country who think you can make shit better by making wishes.
Replace the word "God" with "the cosmos" and it sounds a heck of a lot like cosmic ordering!
 
By Lord Reason
Membership Days
#160829
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:Eugenics, anybody?

I'm sure a lot of Mailies would go for it. Despite the irony that under any decent eugenics programme they, personally, would never have been born.
I don't think you'll find many pro-abortion activists who read the Daily Mail. More likely The Guardian or Independent.

Had the great heroine of the Left, and eugenics advocate Margaret Sanger been alive today I can't see her being a Mail reader either.
By Catkins
Membership Days Posts
#160840
Lord Reason wrote:I don't think you'll find many pro-abortion activists who read the Daily Mail. More likely The Guardian or Independent. Had the great heroine of the Left, and eugenics advocate Margaret Sanger been alive today I can't see her being a Mail reader either.
I'm not sure that there are 'pro-arbortion activists' - people in favour of keeping abortion legal see it as the least-worst option for some women, but not a desired outcome. Sanger was actually of that opinion. A strong birth control advocate because it reduced the need for abortion as well as the risk of multiple births. Unfortunately a eugenicist, as were many in the 1920s. A socialist, but one whose views on race and immigration were far further to the right than any Mail reader's.
 
By Lord Reason
Membership Days
#161197
Catkins wrote:
Lord Reason wrote:I don't think you'll find many pro-abortion activists who read the Daily Mail. More likely The Guardian or Independent. Had the great heroine of the Left, and eugenics advocate Margaret Sanger been alive today I can't see her being a Mail reader either.
I'm not sure that there are 'pro-arbortion activists' - people in favour of keeping abortion legal see it as the least-worst option for some women, but not a desired outcome. Sanger was actually of that opinion. A strong birth control advocate because it reduced the need for abortion as well as the risk of multiple births. Unfortunately a eugenicist, as were many in the 1920s. A socialist, but one whose views on race and immigration were far further to the right than any Mail reader's.
Eugenics and wiping out blacks was a more Left-wing/Progressive thing. Sidney Webb, the father of Fabian socialism, George Bernard Shaw, Harold Lasky and HG Wells and other heros of the Left for example.
The sad faces of wronged Mail readers

I was told it's nothing to do with jackets and i[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Externalisation of the locus of control. https://[…]

GE 2020

Even though he played a prominent role in thwar[…]

David Cameron

As Charlie Brooker pointed out, he did it in TV in[…]