Archive of topics from before June 2012. PM a mod to get one reopened.
  •  
The HIGNFY panel makeup is usually Hislop & Stooge/Ballast, Merton & Funny (typically a comedian or other entertainment celeb, funny journo or 'good bloke' MP). If the stooge isn't a panellist, they'll be the presenter.

The stooge's job is to attract flak. The ballast is there to keep schtum or to answer the one question invariably tailored for them. The funny's job is to sit next to Merton and crack wise (but not overshadow Merton or Hislop).

If the stooge is a presenter, chances are the episode will be tailored around them. Guest presenters who are not stooges fall into the camps of either 'reliables' (Kirsty Young, Alexander Armstrong etc) or 'inspired' (Brian Blessed). Clarkson used to be a reliable, but moved into the stooge camp last night.

Some stooges in the past (such as Nigel Farage) have misunderstood their defined role, in the case of Farage launching into spectacularly mistimed and misjudged rants that quickly evaporated whatever "Oh well, at least he can laugh at himself" feeling had been built up to that point.

As for Nancy, I don't think she was a good choice of guest (it does help to have a clue what's been going on in the world), but I think she acquitted herself OK in the circumstances. Aside from being self-centered and working for News International she's not really done anything to cause much resentment.
Carlos The Badger wrote:
TOONARMY wrote:Don't get all this hate for her I like her, she's pretty funny, and enthusiastic . She seems to have a huge passion for films.
I quite like her, too. And she's not really "Genuinely Stupid" is she?

This is turning into "People I don't like on the Telly Box".
She's about as funny as a fanny boil, she is playing "quirky" rather than enthusiastic (it is possible to be enthusiastic without going overboard and looking like an idiot) and just because someone likes something doesn't mean they can talk about it well (I love Italian food, but I'd sound like an idiot if I appeared on a TV cooking show talking about it as I know very little about it).

Sorry, but she does sound stupid and that's what this is about (and god knows she was awful on Buzzcocks every time).

If she isn't stupid then she is playing stupid.
shyamz wrote:
Carlos The Badger wrote:
TOONARMY wrote:Don't get all this hate for her I like her, she's pretty funny, and enthusiastic . She seems to have a huge passion for films.
I quite like her, too. And she's not really "Genuinely Stupid" is she?

This is turning into "People I don't like on the Telly Box".
She's about as funny as a fanny boil, she is playing "quirky" rather than enthusiastic (it is possible to be enthusiastic without going overboard and looking like an idiot) and just because someone likes something doesn't mean they can talk about it well (I love Italian food, but I'd sound like an idiot if I appeared on a TV cooking show talking about it as I know very little about it).

Sorry, but she does sound stupid and that's what this is about (and god knows she was awful on Buzzcocks every time).

If she isn't stupid then she is playing stupid.
A wise career choice for some. It can get you to be London mayor.
Indeed, where would Boris be without idiots voting for him because he's "fun to watch"? Still annoyed that he got back in - hello Oyster and train fare increases every year again.
Labour, Generally.

Reminds me of a line in an Austin Allegro review ([…]

Mark Francois MP

I have now.... :(

Whilst on the subject of "woke", I've ju[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Normally I don't respond to the Demon Headmaster[…]