Archive of topics from before June 2012. PM a mod to get one reopened.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Quick look at iPlayer says Simon Evans.

Ah, he's one of those comedians who's jumped on the bandwagon that Miles Jupp is riding successfully - i.e. the Look At Me I'm Posh And You're Poor - but he's not as good as he leans too much towards insulting those beneath him rather than Miles' look at that sort of posh attitude.

He was alright on Mock the Week, but I wouldn't pay to go see him.
shyamz wrote:
spoonman wrote:To be fair to Stacey Solomon, she did put in an appearence on Celebrity Mastermind last Christmas. She came last of the four contestants, but at least she gave it a go, which many celebrities not famed for being intelligent wouldn't consider.
The "at least they have a go/don't take themselves seriously/are having a laugh" boils my fucking piss though.

It's like when people try to justify what a waste of space Jordan is just because she has made a lot of money - "she can't be that stupid, she's rich". That's not the point - you could steal a huge load of cash but that doesn't mean your new found wealth makes your actions acceptable.

Just because someone like Solomon doesn't think she is clever (although who can say she doesn't) and isn't trying to convince us otherwise, doesn't mean it is any less unfair that someone as talentless and pointless as her, Winkleman, Dappy, Jedward and so on have managed to attain some degree of fame and money earning potential, ahead of many other people who are far more deserving.

She might have been a bit of a laugh on Mastermind, playing off her reputation as a complete dunderheaded Essex twat to earn her fame (and performing so badly on the show as to not subvert expectations), but just because she is a bubbly girlie who can laugh at herself doesn't mean we must accept her or what she represents.

Nice lesson to teach her kids as well - if you want to be rich but have no talent, don't work just play up to your regional or sexual stereotype like mummy.
Jaysus, calm down! She wasn't a complete airhead on Mastermind, just not as knowledgeable as the other three contestants where all of them were playing for representative charities. She gave it a go and I wouldn't fault her for that.

Personally I wouldn't put Ms Solomon in the same bracket as Katie Price when it comes to role model & airhead stakes, smoking during pregnancy aside. Same goes for Jamelia.
Don't know why but like others I had a soft spot for Ms Solomon, though I only really saw her stint in IACeleb and a couple of other things (Saturday kitchen?). I should probably find her irritating but I don't . But maybe because I've only had small doses of her.

-
ezinra wrote:I like Stacey Solomon, and I think she's smarter than she lets on.
After her appearance on Mastermind, I refuse to believe that she's that good an actress.

Sorry to turn all Mailite for a minute, but I wonder why I spent so much time, effort and stress getting myself an MSc for the privilege of living unemployed on the breadline, when a bit of plastic surgery and/or acting like a talentless Bedlam escapee for ten minutes could set me up with more money in one year than I'd likely see in twenty otherwise.

Likewise Jamelia (whose entire income now seems to consist of panel game appearance fees) and the rest of the talent show never-was brigade.
16. Claudia Winkleman. She has been both a guest more than once yet someone still made the mistake of having her as a host.
And I can't help feeling that if her parents weren't who they were, she wouldn't have got a look-in. She couldn't even get roving reporting for a Saturday morning kids' show right - for me, the only reasons for her career continuing have to be either nepotism or a very Ulrika-esque desire to keep watching a young woman be useless at the job she's paid large amounts of money to do.
spoonman wrote:
shyamz wrote:
spoonman wrote:To be fair to Stacey Solomon, she did put in an appearence on Celebrity Mastermind last Christmas. She came last of the four contestants, but at least she gave it a go, which many celebrities not famed for being intelligent wouldn't consider.
The "at least they have a go/don't take themselves seriously/are having a laugh" boils my fucking piss though.

It's like when people try to justify what a waste of space Jordan is just because she has made a lot of money - "she can't be that stupid, she's rich". That's not the point - you could steal a huge load of cash but that doesn't mean your new found wealth makes your actions acceptable.

Just because someone like Solomon doesn't think she is clever (although who can say she doesn't) and isn't trying to convince us otherwise, doesn't mean it is any less unfair that someone as talentless and pointless as her, Winkleman, Dappy, Jedward and so on have managed to attain some degree of fame and money earning potential, ahead of many other people who are far more deserving.

She might have been a bit of a laugh on Mastermind, playing off her reputation as a complete dunderheaded Essex twat to earn her fame (and performing so badly on the show as to not subvert expectations), but just because she is a bubbly girlie who can laugh at herself doesn't mean we must accept her or what she represents.

Nice lesson to teach her kids as well - if you want to be rich but have no talent, don't work just play up to your regional or sexual stereotype like mummy.
Jaysus, calm down! She wasn't a complete airhead on Mastermind, just not as knowledgeable as the other three contestants where all of them were playing for representative charities. She gave it a go and I wouldn't fault her for that.

Personally I wouldn't put Ms Solomon in the same bracket as Katie Price when it comes to role model & airhead stakes, smoking during pregnancy aside. Same goes for Jamelia.
There was nothing uncalm or angry about what I was saying - it was just my oppinion of them, which is what I thought many of us were doing.

I didn't exacy pepper my post with exclamation marks or other punctuation, but still people think I'm been angry.
There's three who irritate me, can't remember what two of them are called though:
-The guy from Spingwatch (he was on HIGNFY this week). He seems way too joyless to be on those types of programmes, and insists on destroying the tone by being really serious and depressing - like on Room 101 when he started going on about how much of a better place the world would be if humans were extinct.
-The comedian who's often on Buzzcocks and looks a bit like a cocker spaniel.
-Ross Noble, because of his moaning about 'elf 'n' safety on Room 101, and because last time I saw him on QI about half the programme was devoted to him going off on some bizarre and unfunny tangent about throwing chimps into a lake of liquid methane on the moon.
jguazu wrote: -Ross Noble, because of his moaning about 'elf 'n' safety on Room 101, and because last time I saw him on QI about half the programme was devoted to him going off on some bizarre and unfunny tangent about throwing chimps into a lake of liquid methane on the moon.
Ewoks. Not chimps. Ewoks. And it wasn't the Moon (as in ours), it was one of Saturn's - Titan, I think.

That was bad editing, not necessarily the fault of Ross Noble. When he reigns it in, he can be absolutely brilliant, but he is prone to going off on one.
Personally I thought that the entire Ewok section of that episode of QI was one of the best bits there's ever been.

Chris Packham's got a very dry sense of humour, but yes, his views on reducing the amount of humans on the planet don't really make for good comedy.

I'm gonna throw into the mix Chris Tarrant and Richard Madeley (I think he may be in there already) for their blokeish 'I-read-it-in-the-paper-so-it-must-be-true' swallowing and regurgitation of any tabloid bollocks.

And as for Claudia Winkleman, it may be just me, but I thin k she does a very good job on the Radio 2 Arts Show and as presenter of Film Night.
I must admit that Ross Noble cracks me up. Especially the obsession with Ewoks.
I remember fondly the last HIGNFY episode Angus Deayton did and the following one where they brought Noble in as a team captain. He was absolutely hilarious. In fact, I tend to prefer him on things like this where he can bounce off other people than when he does stand-up.
Last edited by Fozzy on Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Cameron

Kicking a man over the death of his disabled son […]

The Sun

If David Cameron's memoirs are so poor why did a[…]

Richard Littlejohn

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-7471163[…]

Boris Johnson

^^This. All along the Tories have kept saying &quo[…]