Archive of topics from before June 2012. PM a mod to get one reopened.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Firstly I apologise I really couldn't figure out where this might already fit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... oject.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This. Has confused me. How can this be presented as acceptable and this child as being hard done by?
The headline is a bit misleading because in the article it says it was the mother's decision to take him out of school, so he wasn't forced to leave. The head asked the boy to remove the make up but the boys mum told her son to ignore the instruction, if the parent doesn't recognise the authority of the head then perhaps she should take her son to a different school.
I've still got some Leichner blackface makeup somewhere, that I last used playing an Indian (in a Billy Bunter sketch).

In 1970...
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:I've still got some Leichner blackface makeup somewhere, that I last used playing an Indian (in a Billy Bunter sketch).

In 1970...
I think it might be time to tidy the loft and/or garage, Malc...
I've no idea where it is...
Presumably dried out about 1980. I had it with some other stuff to show how attitudes changed, including 'nigger brown' cotton. Subversive history teaching c1985.
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:I've no idea where it is...
Presumably dried out about 1980.
Yes, but what about the make-up?

I thang yew.
Is it not racist to suggest a person can only play the role of a person of the same colour? The school principal should be removed from his post.
- CP, Madrid, Spain, 18/5/2012 10:03
I'm trying to work out the logic of that one.
davidjay wrote:
Is it not racist to suggest a person can only play the role of a person of the same colour? The school principal should be removed from his post.
The logic is transparent.
But context is everything.
Is it ever racist to black up - of course it is.
But
Was Ben Kingsley racist when he played Gandhi? I doubt it.
Are Morris sides racist when they perform in blackface? I've yet to meet a right -wing folkie.

What are CPs motives for supporting this kid blacking-up, we don't know.
It could well be said that the blacking-up was an act of tribute to the great man...

Whatever, it doesn't seem to have had a racist intent, so the question remains whether or not using makeup is of itself racist. Which is problematic and conditional I would have thought.
oboogie wrote:
davidjay wrote:
The logic is transparent.
But context is everything.
Is it ever racist to black up - of course it is.
But
Was Ben Kingsley racist when he played Gandhi? I doubt it.
Are Morris sides racist when they perform in blackface? I've yet to meet a right -wing folkie.

What are CPs motives for supporting this kid blacking-up, we don't know.
ben kingsley didnt need to "black up " he is Asian ,(in a definition of one parent being from Asia, in this context his father who is from Zanzibar, a Hindu, and Kenyan by nationality) now why people assume he is white is an interesting debate in itself.
He may not have needed to, but he did.

What do you think of this?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/pw ... ly-racist/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Labour, Generally.

Ian Lavery was on TV this evening doing his Plain-[…]

Labour Policies 2019/20

A thread to discuss the several policies which wil[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Well, I suggested taking the batteries out and l[…]

The Today Programme

He already has a Mail column, doesn't he?