In terms of toxicity, ecstasy in its purest form is relatively harmless when compared to aspirin - which can (in some cases) lead to health complications such as strokes. Ecstasy can cause problems related to low seratonin levels in the brain, but only after years of prolonged use. In the short-term it has been proven that ecstasy is relatively harmless, a fact that Mr Hickley would have realised had he bothered to read some medical journals on the subject. The truth of the matter is, the majority of ecstasy deaths arise from the tablets being contaminated by poisons such as strychnine - a problem that would be eliminated if the drug were legalised and regulated - or complications arising from the user drinking more than a pint of water in an hour and subsequently suffering from H2O poisoning. The assertation that ecstasy can kill at "any dose" is not only misleading, but completely and factually inaccurate.
- Ross, Belfast, N.Ireland
This one I broadly agree with, but the H20 poisoning thing seems a little suspect. I was under the impression that drinking excessive water when on ecstasy can be dangerous, but surely not actually poisonous? I seem to dinly recall it ws something to do with causing the brain to swell, but it's a while since I read seriously about it.