Feature and community announcements, and technical support relating to the forum itself
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
This has always been a very light touch moderated board mainly because the majority of posters are on the right side of the bell curve and a degree of self moderation takes place. Again, I can understand how deeply you all feel and these are exceptional times.

It would be useful to hear your thoughts and then the mods can see what can and should be done. Timbo does all the heavy lifting here so he needs to lead the decision making.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm if we lock the Labour Party threads, how long are they going to be locked for? Until the leadership election is over? Well since Corbyn will most likely win and we re-open the threads the same issues will still be there. Then what are you going to do have them locked for how long, a year, two years, three years?

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
Locking the Labour forum to stifle discussion on the leadership fracus is like a bizarre microcosm of what the PLP are doing with CLP meetings. Not going to help debate

I would say there's some pretty tedious personal attacks and a fair volume of shitposting going on. quoting someone's post then saying "fuck off" or "no you're wrong" or "paranoid" isn't really conducive to a conversation. It's dead ending. If you don't want to talk then don't, but petty last wording isn't constructive.

By bluebellnutter
Back in the old days we'd just post pictures of kittens to deal with the likes of "A Bit Of Balance" or "moonshein".

Can't even do that these days.
Philip Collins Verified account
‏@PCollinsTimes
My exchange about good names for a cat was interrupted by Corbynistas suggesting "war-monger". Really, I salute your indefatigability.
(P.S. This is an attempt at levity.)
By Andy McDandy
There are a lot of arguments going round in circles, and which are, to a degree, pointless. As an old boss of mine once said, if you can't affect something, why discuss it? Then again on that reasoning you'd need to shut down 90% of the Internet.

We've seen in the last few weeks a number of old posters coming back to engage after longish breaks. Which is good. But we have seen an increase in angry voices, which may well be a reflection of people's general frustrations and worries about the state of the country in general. I've tried to keep civil as much as possible. I've not always succeeded, and for that I'm sorry.

I'd not want to see thread locks, unless they descend entirely into flame wars or libellous content. I do however want to see strong, consistent and fair moderating across the board, with reasons and explanations for bans, locks, moderator edits etc given in full.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
Winegums wrote:Locking the Labour forum to stifle discussion on the leadership fracus is like a bizarre microcosm of what the PLP are doing with CLP meetings. Not going to help debate

I would say there's some pretty tedious personal attacks and a fair volume of shitposting going on. quoting someone's post then saying "fuck off" or "no you're wrong" or "paranoid" isn't really conducive to a conversation. It's dead ending. If you don't want to talk then don't, but petty last wording isn't constructive.
I see your point, but as Agnes said - there are other places we can go to for a political argument. This place is in grave danger of reducing itself to half a dozen people who like the sound of their own keyboard banging away petty last wording - as you put so well.

Maybe it's time for Mailwatch to get back to its' roots and stick it to a common enemy? I'd like to think a fellow Corbynite can identify with that.

Well, early replies seem to indicate that on the whole we'd like the mods to beat us with a bigger stick when we're naughty. Dare I suggest a gentler, kinder forum to keep their workload light? :wink:

By mikey mikey
I was just wondering when, as it often does, the Mail posts some lies and smears about jeremy Corbyn, whether it could be mentioned as part of the forums' raison d'être. Alternatively, are the Mail, Express, Telegraph and the whole Murdoch Press and the increasingly biased BBC best left unchallenged when they spread lies about the current Labour leader?

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
mikey mikey wrote:I was just wondering when, as it often does, the Mail posts some lies and smears about jeremy Corbyn, whether it could be mentioned as part of the forums' raison d'être. Alternatively, are the Mail, Express, Telegraph and the whole Murdoch Press and the increasingly biased BBC best left unchallenged when they spread lies about the current Labour leader?
This is why we can't have nice things.

Let it go...

And I think you've just answered PU's question.

By mikey mikey
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
mikey mikey wrote:I was just wondering when, as it often does, the Mail posts some lies and smears about jeremy Corbyn, whether it could be mentioned as part of the forums' raison d'être. Alternatively, are the Mail, Express, Telegraph and the whole Murdoch Press and the increasingly biased BBC best left unchallenged when they spread lies about the current Labour leader?
This is why we can't have nice things.

Let it go...

And I think you've just answered PU's question.
Actually, I was attempting to raise a valid (IMHO) and foreseeable problem with the current proposal of avoidiing discussing politics on a forum with a banner featuring a host of politicians and media pundits that hasn in addition, a clear emphasis on the bias, untruths and spin in the right wing press.

I fail to see how my post above constitutes "abuse" or disruptive or offensive posting, unless you are assuming that it is not what members are writing, but who is writing the comments.

As for answering PU's post, could somebody please explain clearly at which point my post above shows a lack of restraint?
The Independent Group

Yes. People can judge for themselves if they lik[…]

C**t of the day

That is going beyond c**t. "Squire" is a[…]

Theresa May

Mutterings as well that all opposition leaders a[…]

The Brexit Party

Good choice for a sounding board. If anybody woul[…]