Feature and community announcements, and technical support relating to the forum itself
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
I'm making a Terry Pratchett inspired model railway (the Ankh Morpork and Sto Plains Hygienic Railway to be precise).
I'm chopping up all sorts of stuff to make it Pratchett like. Yesterday I made a coach for transporting Trolls, and part-converted a loco, and I also started making a Pratchett-like building (think London pre 1666 with added grunge and smellier) - I'm making masters for building parts and I'll try casting them in resin.

I'll put some photos up.

And if anyone could aim me at some OO scale models of trolls, golems and dwarfs I'd be very grateful. Either that or I'll have to learn to sculpt, and I ain't that talented!
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I'd suggest looking for some old Games Workshop epic scale figures - although they discontinued the games a few years ago, you might find the figures on eBay or similar.

Talking of old GW, I've promised myself to get back into collecting and figure painting. At the moment it's a toss-up between chaos and dwarves. Always had a knack painting dwarves*.

*And no, that's not in a Wolf of Wall Street style debauched way.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:I'm making a Terry Pratchett inspired model railway (the Ankh Morpork and Sto Plains Hygienic Railway to be precise).
I'm chopping up all sorts of stuff to make it Pratchett like. Yesterday I made a coach for transporting Trolls, and part-converted a loco, and I also started making a Pratchett-like building (think London pre 1666 with added grunge and smellier) - I'm making masters for building parts and I'll try casting them in resin.

I'll put some photos up.

And if anyone could aim me at some OO scale models of trolls, golems and dwarfs I'd be very grateful. Either that or I'll have to learn to sculpt, and I ain't that talented!
Please, I'd like to see that. What loco are you using as the basis?

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
It's an old US 0-4-0 switcher - not really canonical. I'm also working on a 2-2-2 'Flyer' and 'Iron Girder' based on a couple of Rockets...
There's not a lot to go on in 'Raising Steam', more in 'Mrs Bradshaw's Guide'.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:It's an old US 0-4-0 switcher - not really canonical. I'm also working on a 2-2-2 'Flyer' and 'Iron Girder' based on a couple of Rockets...
There's not a lot to go on in 'Raising Steam', more in 'Mrs Bradshaw's Guide'.
I think I know the one you mean, it was in Lima starter sets, sometimes given BR numbers. The mechanisms in Lima were a bit crap, they had a pancake motor which was very variable in running quality

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I had a LIMA class 73, worst bit of kit I've ever had. When it did run it was noisy and slow compared to the Hornby equivalents. Mind you, the Hornby 47 I had wasn't much better. Put me off working with diesels for years, only recently got into it with much superior products from Heljan and Bachmann. Got a class 03 off them, goes like the bleedin' clappers it does.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Ive got three diesels, all Triang Hornby, the Hymek, class 31 and Dock Authority shunter, all three are excellent runners and haulers. On the Heljan class 47, isn't it supposed to be too wide? on a model rail forum I go on its referred to as the "Tubbyduff"

Another issue on recent production is zincpest. As far as I know, the Hornby class 31 suffers from it, the chassis expands due to poor quality metal alloy, causing the body to split

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
While we're on the twin subjects of things that you wind up and and are vaguely connected to transport, I am trying to find out what these wee diamond/pennant shapes around the three and the nine might be called.

Askania started with precision naval instruments so I have been barking up that particular tree. Any ideas?

Labour, Generally.

Jez working his magic in a Labour heartland urban […]

The Independent Group

That doesn't look very good. Except a few people w[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Seen a theory (well one person on Twitter) say the[…]

Exclusive: Labour Split 'Scabs' Will 'Regret It',[…]