Feature and community announcements, and technical support relating to the forum itself
:sunglasses: 11.1 % :thumbsup: 37 % :grinning: 37 % 😟 7.4 % :cry: 7.4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Boiler
Kreuzberger wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:53 pm
Boiler wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:55 pm
It looks very impressive - what software is the forum running on now? Have to say, phpBB 3 was beginning to look very dated, but I know it has its fans. A forum I mod runs under an extension of WordPress and that too looks good.

Does this also mean the private sections are now truly private?
The forum is still on phpBB but Timbo found a cool skin which I have hacked to hell and back, and applied the latest updates. We needed to move fairly briskly once we got the nod so we were reluctant to try to port the db across to anything else. Hence, staying with phpBB even if it is still not blisteringly quick.

That said, once we tweak the new server, we should be able to wring a few more milliseconds' performance out of it.

The private sections are still being indexed but that too should be resolved in the fullness of time. In fact, there are quite a few tasks to backfill which is because we were trying to limit the downtime to the absolute minimum.
Well, it looks good, no more pressing F5, privacy concerns in hand - kudos to you both for what I know will have been a lot of hard work. I must confess that seeing just the Apache start page a couple of times did freak me a bit...
Timbo liked this

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
First time I've logged in after a week in God's Own Country. I really like this new-look and I've got Badges! :D
Kreuzberger liked this

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:54 am
Not really a problem, but is it possible to view 'Active Topics' without being logged in. At the moment it's done through the 'Forum' down drop menu at the top but that only appears when it's logged in.
Can't see any compelling reason why that was switched off by default - flipped!

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Kreuzberger wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:24 pm
Arnold wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:11 pm
Thanks, but that isn't what I'm seeing on my Android tablet. The star is there if there are unread messages. But no page numbers on the right.
Right, I am seeing that now, albeit only in portrait mode. I'll have a look to see how best to unhide the pagination without it running riot in these panels.
Any news on this? As it's only a problem with one 10 inch tablet, with any luck it won't need much tweaking.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Arnold wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:47 pm
Any news on this? As it's only a problem with one 10 inch tablet, with any luck it won't need much tweaking.
Custom CSS needs to be written for that specific device and I am way behind with my RL deadlines. If you could send me the precise model /OS details by PM please, I'll take a look at it as soon as I can.

By Boiler
My understanding with a lot of forum software was that you couldn't delete a post that had already been replied to and quite often, you only had a preset time to delete a post - it wasn't always in perpetuity, usually 15 - 30 minutes. The only forum software I've encountered that lets you delete a post long after you made it was XenForo and again, that may be at the admin's discretion.

If it's anywhere, it'll be under the gearwheel icon on your post; ETA - it is, see attached.

By-Elections

The Tories have re-selected Chris Davis to stand[…]

The sad faces of wronged Mail readers

Well, he's deleted it now. Which is what I would d[…]

Boris Johnson

They're Tories. If it means the survival of their […]

Toby Young

Toby was on GMB this morning defending Boris, my s[…]