•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
To be fair, this seems to happen everywhere. My in-laws own a farm just outside Warsaw, and they bring workers in on coaches from Ukraine because, as they put it, "Polish workers are too lazy". The crux of it is always money - It seems the ones willing to be exploited decided to emigrate already for better pay. People really shouldn't be surprised when they offer a job starting at some awful time in the morning, doing mind-numbing and unpleasant work for minimum wage, on some shitty industrial park miles from anywhere, that people don't find it worthwhile to apply.

These people always claim to be all for 'free market enterprise', but never seem to want to pay the market rate.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/blighty/ ... c30b6f1709" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What Britain forgets
Romania is booming
A rare article in the British media about Romania which includes some facts and figures
Economic growth is at 4.1%. Wages are rising fast. Adjusting for prices, Bucharest’s GDP per capita is above the EU average. Indeed, the average Bucharest resident is comfortably better off than the average resident of Manchester.

A feature in Ziarul Financiar (a respected Bucharest business daily) today makes that point well. This argues that although “Britons do not want Romanians,” they are keen on Romanian consumers. Between 2010 and 2013 British firms did an average €6.3 billion of business annually there, double the level of 2007, when it joined the EU. Since its accession, Romania—considered one of Europe’s few “tiger” economies—has been worth some €27-30 billion in turnover and €3.7 billion in profit to companies based in Britain. Several have even received multi-million-euro subsidies from the Romanian state (worth remembering when politicians bang on about Romanians costing British taxpayers money).
They're coming, they're coming and here's the proof!
Sold out! Flights and buses full as Romanians and Bulgarians head for the UK

[*]One airline has even doubled number of flights to meet demand
[*]Some one-way tickets are selling for up to £3,000 each
[*]Buses leaving Bulgarian capital of Sofia until January 9 are fully booked
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ad-UK.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not for the first time, and certainly not the last, they are simply making shit up that can be checked in a couple of clicks. Want a one way ticket to London tomorrow? Here are a few options;

easyJet
EZY8974
13:40 SOF Sofia
15:05 LGW London Gatwick
€146

Wizz Air
W63009
19:30 OTP Bukarest Otopeni
21:00 LTN London Luton
€160,75

Of course, seats at the weekend are at a premium but so are they from everywhere and that's because it is one of the pinch-points in the whole travelling calendar.

Wizz doubling their number of flights? There is still only one a day out of Sofia and, at most, two departing Bucharest for London airports.

Oh, and they have found travel agents offering discounted bus travel to London (and Prague). Firstly, if there is that much demand, why would incentives be being offered. Secondly, isn't that what travel agents do? Thirdly, that £20m marketing budget looks like it might be making an impression.

In short, the article is a work of fantasy solely engineered to work the readership in to an ever greater lather. There have been some 5000 shares already if, that is, there is a shred of truth in anything this odious organ publishes.

EDIT/ Update:
A manager at coach company Karats Eurolines said prices had gone up due to the high demand.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ad-UK.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Really? They don't appear to run any GB routes.

By hel
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Good work Kreuzberger - the Mail seems to have funny definitions of "sold out" and "heading towards the UK."
Romania and Bulgaria joined the EU a few years ago and the Mail probably published the exact same stories back then. Lately it's made me think of the religious fanatics who said that God would punish the UK like Sodom and Gomorrah for allowing civil partnerships, went a bit quiet when it didn't happen, then said that God would punish us for allowing gay marriage.
Kreuzberger wrote:
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:Bundle that all up and whack it over to Tim Fenton - if he hasn't already seen it.
Am out at the mo and dont have twitter creds to hand. Perhaps someone else could do the honours.
Done.
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Kreuzberger wrote:
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:Bundle that all up and whack it over to Tim Fenton - if he hasn't already seen it.
Am out at the mo and dont have twitter creds to hand. Perhaps someone else could do the honours.
Done.
Cheers !
More interesting things to note:
The 5% off offer from Balkan Horn isn't all it would seem - in fact, it seems just like a regular offer rather than a "invade Britain now" thing, particularly given that the travel dates are mostly before 1st January:
This special offer is valid when the outward journey starts from London to Varna in the period 16.12.13 - 06.01.14 and from Varna to London in the period 22.12.13 - 17.01.14 and the tickets are purchased till 31.10.13.
Great if you purchased your tickets before November
One user of a popular website wrote: ‘My husband and I want to have a child in the UK. We want to know what kind of benefits we can apply for. We are interested in receiving a council house.’
A "popular website", eh? Odd that Google results for that only report that quote on websites where the Mail article has been copied verbatim. It's almost as if they've made it up themselves. After all, the Mail can be described as a popular website. Plus, would a Romanian or Bulgarian immigrant really know the phrase "council house"? That phrase would not translate so well into many languages - in fact if I use the highly accurate (!) Google translate, council house into Bulgarian and back becomes "municipal housing".
‘I have read on this website I can get £190 a week from the British government from the 25th week of pregnancy. Could somebody help me with the documents?’
Again, Google returns no results for this phrase on said "popular website"

And so to travel agent Svetlanka Beaucheva. She not only seems to have never graced the internet before this story, but also has a surname which has no matches on Facebook, nor does Google throw up any other people with that surname other than her. I've even searched Ancestry (with all available countries), with no results for 'beaucheva' or anything similar-sounding.

I smell a huge amount of bullshit
Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

Mr Stern is, er, controversial. See that article. […]

The LibDems, generally

Vince is 76. Wouldn't be surprising if he'd had en[…]

Boris Johnson

Sounds like it's going well. https://twitter.com/[…]

Not sure where else to put this https://twitter[…]