•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
A former regional communications officer for the party told me on FB
This morning the Mail on Sunday ran a scurrilous story about the husband of a Labour MP. Now it has disappeared from their website
He wouldn't say who the MP's husband was - I assumed it was Brandan Cox, but I dare say it might have been the husband of a different MP.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
The story is still on the site but was quickly taken off the home page.

The opening para tells us that;
A new charity sex scandal erupted last night after it emerged that the husband of murdered Labour MP Jo Cox was once accused of groping a senior US government official.
So violently did it "erupt" that no one else picked up the story which is credited to their political editor, no less.
Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Rumour and accusation of this nature, possibly the same tale, circulated not long after Jo Cox' murder. IIRC, not much of anything came of it in terms of proof or truth.

A cynic might suggest the Mail has recycled this one to try and hitch Labour to sexual harassment, in a zeitgeisty fashion.
No, that nice Mr Dacre would never do anything like that, surely?

Had a Facebook conversation yesterday with a retired Telegraph journalist who was telling me that he'd never buy or read the Mail, but that it was "Too late now but I've always believed the pity is that the left, at any rate since the Daily Herald of my childhood, has not had its own Mail (ie good writing, as the Mail undoubtedly has, professionalism and a heart)"

He cited the Stephen Lawrence case, of course. I accused him of Omerta and pointed out that only 25% of people surveyed found journalists trustworthy... That's about the same as estate agents.

And that's the problem. Other journalists (print and TV), bereft of moral compass and probably none too bright, will allow the Mail to set the news agenda.
MisterMuncher wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:56 am
Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Rumour and accusation of this nature, possibly the same tale, circulated not long after Jo Cox' murder. IIRC, not much of anything came of it in terms of proof or truth.

A cynic might suggest the Mail has recycled this one to try and hitch Labour to sexual harassment, in a zeitgeisty fashion.
Correct. See for example the resuscitation of the paedophile information exchange whenever necessary.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
In my youth I (seriously) fancied going into journalism as a career. I loved to write, was interested in news and everything else, and viewed the job of journalist as important, creative, and even glamorous.

How deluded I was.
Last edited by Abernathy on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will say my few years working for (very) small scale B2B/local press were a lot of fun. It might have only been a piece about a minor row between market traders and the local council, but seeing my first byline in print was a huge buzz, a kind of which no job since has really come close to.

But at one point, it came down to a choice of promotion to Production Manager of a few magazines or playing the Manchester toilet circuit with my band in the vague hope something happened.

It didn't, of course, but no regrets. I'm not sure the low pay/long hours part of the journalism gig would have been much fun as I head towards 40. And perhaps once I realised I wasn't going to be the Man United correspondent for the Manchester Evening News, my heart wasn't in it for the long haul.
Sometimes think it would be fun to have the job of making up stupid stuff to put in moronic magazines like Chat or Take a Break, you know of the “I came home to find my husband putting the hoover nozzle up his bottom” or “my cat suddenly started speaking German” type of thing
Meanwhile in America

Looking up the hashtag, a few people claim to've f[…]

To Snip, or not to Snip?

Mailwatch - a load of complete pricks.

Jeremy Corbyn.

I stand corrected : http://ukandeu.ac.uk/fact-fig[…]

Richard Littlejohn

They're not real people, not like you and me. T[…]