•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By KevS
Membership Days Posts
From Popbitch, so needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, but seems quite credible, knowing Dacre as we do...

He doesn't leave the Daily Mail for another five months, but already the Paul Dacre stories are piling into our inbox. Our favourite so far?

Once in conference Dacre interrupted a journalist talking about the female fighter pilots who were going into Libya to ask, "What? Actually flying the planes? And shooting? Not just navigating? Or giving directions?"

The reporter informed him that, yes, the women would be flying fighter jets.

Dacre mulled this over for a hot second, before asking: "Won't their tits get in the way of the steering?"

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
What makes me doubt it isn't that I think Dacre isn't a contemptible chauvinist but that he'd bother to go himself rather than send some sort of lackey to do it for him.
karlt liked this

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
This is well worth a read:

http://click.mail.theguardian.com/?qs=1 ... 8d4fcaf493
Daily Mail’s Paul Dacre is finally unseated – but the damage is done
Roy Greenslade

Dacre’s brand of conservatism, as promulgated day after day, has not only sought to buttress the outlook of largely comfortable, white, middle-class, small ‘c’ conservatives, but to play on their fears that their way of life is under persistent threat by forces they cannot control. Democracy has let them down. By contrast, the Mail is their only true friend. In acting for them, the Mail has created, and also sustained, a siege mentality.

In so doing, while claiming to hold power to account, it has tended to undermine its very foundation by demeaning both politicians and politics itself. Indeed, there is the central contradiction at the heart of the Mail agenda under Dacre: it decries the very institutions it affects to support.

Modernity, in its myriad forms, is viewed as a menace. Why can’t everything stay as it was in, say, the 1950s? Why do we need to have immigrants? Why should women work? Why aren’t the judges proper Conservatives as they were in times of yore? What point is there to the meddlesome European Union?

Dacre is the epitome of a grumpy old man, with the added advantage of having a platform to proselytise his Blimpish views to a vast audience.

By Messianic Trees
Membership Days Posts
Paul Dacre warns against softening Daily Mail's Brexit stance
Paul Dacre has warned Geordie Greig, his successor as the Daily Mail’s editor, that any move to weaken the newspaper’s support for Brexit would be “editorial and commercial suicide”.

Greig, who edits the Mail on Sunday, was a strong supporter of the remain cause before and after the EU referendum, prompting speculation that he could alter the Daily Mail’s editorial line on the subject.

Dacre, who will hand over control of the paper in November after 26 years, used a column in the Spectator this week to say he had received “countless messages from readers worried about whether the Mail will continue its support for EU withdrawal”.

“Support for Brexit is in the DNA of both the Daily Mail and, more pertinently, its readers,” said Dacre in an unsubtle warning to Greig.

By Messianic Trees
Membership Days Posts
From the Spectator piece itself (Dacre's diary):
Awake to the Today programme and ordure being dumped on me by Polly Toynbee while the Mail’s legendary Dame Ann Leslie sings my praises. I recall how Toynbee penned a venomous piece about my predecessor, Sir David English, only days after he died at 67 (though, through a slip in the actualité, his Who’s Who entry had him at 66). I never cease to be amused by the way the left demonise anyone they disagree with, but poor Polly’s obsession with the Mail is almost psychotic. Roger Alton, the ex-editor of the Observer, wades in, writing to the Guardian that I am ‘a very great man and a newspaperman of genius who has done as much to improve the quality of life in Britain as anybody I can think of’. It seems I’m a somewhat divisive character…
The Today programme again and this time Rachel Johnson, whose newspaper column gives banality a bad name, is rejoicing that the future Mail will be less inflammatory and more inclusive (‘and have the circulation of the Guardian’, a proper columnist on another paper emails). If calling five racist London thugs ‘Murderers’ on the front page or carrying a picture of a swimming sea turtle swallowing a plastic supermarket bag is inflammatory, I plead guilty. As I do for using shock headlines that secured justice for the Omagh bomb victims, the release of Shaker Aamer from Guantanamo, and sanctuary here for the army’s Afghan interpreters — just a few of countless ‘inclusive’ Mail campaigns that have given voice to the voiceless. As for the other ‘i’ word, one of the main reasons Britain voted Brexit was the refusal by our ruling class, led by the BBC, to allow a mature debate on mass immigration which has nothing to do with race and everything to do with numbers. If the Mail promoted that debate and helped prevent the rise here of the kind of ugly right-wing political movements now festering across the EU, then I suffer my critics’ obloquy with pride.
Receive many lovely letters from public figures, of which the warmest are from Gordon Brown and David Blunkett. David Davis complains that I have stolen the thunder from his threatened resignation. A top historian wails that my move is the equivalent of the ravens leaving the Tower. All tosh, of course, but what moves me most are the countless messages from readers worried about whether the Mail will continue its support for EU withdrawal. My answer to them — and others — is unequivocal. Support for Brexit is in the DNA of both the Daily Mail and, more pertinently, its readers. Any move to reverse this would be editorial and commercial suicide.

By KevS
Membership Days Posts
Worth noting that probably the only time most people said "Well done, Paul", the Stephen Lawrence case, he then pissed it up against the wall by posting a video saying how great he and the Mail were.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Paul Dacre has warned Geordie Greig, his successor as the Daily Mail’s editor, that any move to weaken the newspaper’s support for Brexit would be “editorial and commercial suicide”.

Is Dacre right? The MoS has always been a soberer and journalistically a more credible product than the Mail but does that sell more copies?
Nigel Farage

Even if it's not true it's true.

Jeremy Corbyn.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/labour-rem[…]

Toby Young

Translation: I bullied my kids. And I show th[…]

Olden days were the best or summat...

No pictures of Notting Hill then?