Discussion of the more serious side of the Mail's agenda
:sunglasses: 21.4 % ❤ 7.1 % :thumbsup: 7.1 % 😯 28.6 % :grinning: 7.1 % 😟 21.4 % :cry: 7.1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
The icing on the cake would be if they had their copy of the Daily Mail spread out on the table in front of them.

Furious mother-of-three slams elderly couple for refusing to move from the seats she reserved for her and her children on a packed train
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... erved.html

Amanda Mancino-Williams claimed the couple refused to move after she advised them that she had pre-booked seats on the packed train from Cheltenham to Nottingham.

The 37-year-old said the couple had 'posh accents' and had told her that her reserved tickets 'didn't matter'.

She had showed the couple her ticket, who told her they 'wouldn't be moving'.

I'm afraid I've met people like that in the past in my many years of commuting and it's amazing how RPIs disappear in the face of it.

Worse still were the bastards who'd reserved a seat and then upon seeing where they were, decided they didn't like it and sat elsewhere... leaving the reservation stub in place. I once had an argument with an RPI over seats unoccupied after 20 minutes into a departure and his attitude was "well, they might be in the buffet car." After twenty fucking minutes?!

In one sense I'm glad I don't commute by train any more, but I'd still rather that than a 160-mile round trip daily in the car.
I had one of them once. There were three of us in the carriage. The train stopped at Grantham and an old bloke in tweed jacket and pork pie hat, with an expression like he was sucking lemons, got on. He marched straight up to me past all the empty seats. " I think you're in *my* seat", he said in what I can only describe as an accusatory tone. I didn't bother saying anything, just moved to one of the 50 empty seats in the carriage. He got off at Peterborough - the next stop.

He had a whole carriage of empty seats to choose from, but no. He'd been allocated that seat, and by god, in that seat he would sit!

Worra twat :roll:
So, were you sitting in his (reserved) seat then?

Some TOCs can get very funny about not sitting in the allocated seat - in some cases charging the passenger full fare, the discounted fare being a condition of occupying the allocated seat.
Cyclist wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:07 am
I had one of them once. There were three of us in the carriage. The train stopped at Grantham and an old bloke in tweed jacket and pork pie hat, with an expression like he was sucking lemons, got on. He marched straight up to me past all the empty seats. " I think you're in *my* seat", he said in what I can only describe as an accusatory tone. I didn't bother saying anything, just moved to one of the 50 empty seats in the carriage. He got off at Peterborough - the next stop.

He had a whole carriage of empty seats to choose from, but no. He'd been allocated that seat, and by god, in that seat he would sit!

Worra twat :roll:
I don't like to be that guy but if all the other seats were empty why were you sat in a reserved one?
Boiler, Timbo liked this
GNER used to put reserved slips on every seat. The seat might only be reserved from Durham to York, but it would carry that slip from Kings X to Edinburgh and back again, so you had no idea if the seat was actually reserved for that journey or not.. It was like we who had bought our tickets on the day of travel were supposed to stand in the vestibule while all the reserved seats remained empty.
Cyclist wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:20 pm
GNER used to put reserved slips on every seat. The seat might only be reserved from Durham to York, but it would carry that slip from Kings X to Edinburgh and back again, so you had no idea if the seat was actually reserved for that journey or not.
I'd have said "Reserved Durham - York" would have been a good indicator of where the reservation was applicable.
I don't remember the slips having "from - to" on them, just "Reserved". Had it said "From Grantham to Peterborough" I wouldn't have sat there when I got on at Doncaster, would I.

The first time I came across these reserved slips the train was fairly crowded and all the empty seats were "Reserved". I asked the Train Manager (sic) where I could sit and he told me to pick a seat. Train staff had no idea if that seat was reserved for that particular service, an earlier service, a later service, or left over from yesterday!
Snowflake liked this
I have to say, if that situation arises and you have three children with you sat across from them, it would be a great time to remind them not to be naughty, for example flicking bogies, spilling drinks, playing Billie Piper's 1998 hit 'Honey to the B' loudly on loop from a phone speaker. Such behaviour would be absolutely unacceptable.
Boiler liked this
The DM mindset would be hammering past in a huge SUV and deluging that poor soul with their bow wake.
Boiler liked this
Kreuzberger wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:06 am
The DM mindset would be hammering past in a huge SUV and deluging that poor soul with their bow wake.
Hopefully, one of these fake SUVs where the air intake for the engine is sufficiently low enough to 'hydraulic' their engine :evil:

Last time my mate encountered flooding like this, he just pulled the lever on his Citroën to the jacking position...
I would invite you to read the disclaimer at the bottom of the page. Specifically, the line above the copyright statement.

They know exactly what the score is, but you won't see this in videos from Prince Chuck.

https://pickforbritain.org.uk/faqs/
David Cameron

I found myself simply unable to append a commen[…]

US election 2020

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=htt[…]

The Express and the weather

It's the continent's fault, see? Even their weathe[…]

Michael Gove

Is Gove just marching to Cummings' "GET BRE[…]