•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By George Tait
Membership Days
sporran wrote:I received a leaflet for this the other day:
Macclesfield Winterfest

Essentially the same idea as Winterval, ie. a nice easy brand to cover all the various festivities taking place over the November/December period. Quite surprised the Mail haven't been on to it yet.

See this is what happens, no sooner are Nicholas and Ann Winterton out of the door and they're already BANNING Christmas!

The highlights include Midge Ure, the guy who co- wrote 'Do They Know It's Christmas?'.

A Daily Mail headline writer, intent on whipping up reader fury, could have a lot of fun with that.

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
George Tait wrote:
sporran wrote:I received a leaflet for this the other day:
Macclesfield Winterfest

Essentially the same idea as Winterval, ie. a nice easy brand to cover all the various festivities taking place over the November/December period. Quite surprised the Mail haven't been on to it yet.

See this is what happens, no sooner are Nicholas and Ann Winterton out of the door and they're already BANNING Christmas!

The highlights include Midge Ure, the guy who co- wrote 'Do They Know It's Christmas?'.

A Daily Mail headline writer, intent on whipping up reader fury, could have a lot of fun with that.

Steady George, Littledick probably reads this forum and you'll be giving him an idea for an unfunny spoof of the song...

It's Winterval,
When jobsworths start to work so hard.
At Winterval
Nativity's cancelled, oh, and Christmas cards
And in our multi-culti world of PC*
They spread a cloak of gloom
Throw your arms up in the air
At Winterval.

* Other electronic outlets are available, apart from Comet.
By National Anglia
Membership Days
But don't say a prayer,
Unless it's a Muslim one
At Winterval it's hard,
Cause loony left councils have banned all fun
There's a world outside your window,
And it's a world of blacks and queers,
And the only water flowing,
Is pretty white kids' tears
And the seasons greetings called out
Are the wild muezzin's wail
Well tonight thank Gordon Brown, for selling our gold

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
National Anglia wrote:But don't say a prayer,
Unless it's a Muslim one
At Winterval it's hard,
(All together now!)

Feeeed the Li - ons; Let them know it's Christian Time (etc ad nauseam to fade).
By SoulBoy
Membership Days Posts
oboogie wrote:
National Anglia wrote:But don't say a prayer,
Unless it's a Muslim one
At Winterval it's hard,
(All together now!)

Feeeed the Li - ons; Let them know it's Christian Time (etc ad nauseam to fade).
Just lob in a couple of lines about he is the only bloke in "Britain" working over the festive period (with the possible exception of Mick The Postman and other fictional constructs of his everyday North London life) and his Boxing Day column is in the bag a month early.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
JuanTwoThree wrote:Not here. Perhaps in Madrid, 300 km to the south. Or on the Costas, even further.

There are 7 Brits in the town where I live (population 12000) and 3 of them are my family. There are perhaps 50 in the whole of La Rioja

Really interesting thread that had me observe 2 things:

1. Brit Christmas fare contains a lot of savoury, or what the foodies now term OOmami.

2. There are 7 Brits in town (and we're 3 of them) reminded me of an excellent interjection from a Rugby Vs Football radio debate.
Rugger fan (on phone): Rugby's way better, footballers haven't won their world cup for over 40 years..
Football advocate: There are only 8 professional rugby countries, and we're 4 of them.
By JuanTwoThree
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
If the lazy stereotypes are true them a lot of the year-round British food used to be on the bland side: all shepherd's pie and semolina puddings. Quite a contrast with the tastier stuff at Christmas.

I suspect though that this idea of 51 weeks of tasteless pap is bollocks: most regional dishes are tasty (faggots, black pudding, kippers, pasties, Stilton, Cheddar, Wensleydale) and so are the sauces, mustards and relishes. Perhaps the Victorian bourgeoisie lived on tasteless food except at Christmas, but even that I doubt.

What Christmas food seems to mostly be is meat that's available and fattenable in winter, store cupboard ingredients (dried fruit, nuts, cheese) or preserves, and winter greens.

And booze!
By sporran
Membership Days Posts
I meant to post this over the weekend, it's not from the Mail - infact I'm surprised Littlejohn hasn't taken up the reins on this one, featuring as it does Brussels, someone breaking with tradition, and some of those mythical Muslims who get offended by everything:

Abstract Christmas tree sparks protests in Brussels

For the record, I quite like it - but obviously it's not going to be to everyone's taste. But this:
Critics accuse officials of opting for the installation for fear of offending non-Christians, especially Muslims.
Yeah, fuck off.

And this:
"For a lot of people who are not Christians, the tree there is offensive to them," she told reporters.
As the Christmas tree doesn't have anything to do with the Christian festival, it's unclear how that would be the case.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Indeed. If the shit fits, wear it - as I believe S[…]

David Liddington?

Men in suits. French doors. Glass of whisky an[…]

This could only get better if a small-person clow[…]

Sarah Vine aka Mrs Gove

First Lady MacBeth. FTFY - as I believe you tech[…]