Discussion of the more serious side of the Mail's agenda
:thumbsup: 14.3 % 😯 28.6 % 😟 42.9 % :cry: 14.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
I may well have grumbled about this before, but this time it’s in a specific Daily Mail related context.

Having just returned from the annual 2 week sojourn on the wonderful island of Crete, and of course having endured the rigours of the airport, the realisation has come to me of something which absolutely typifies the Daily Mail way of thinking. Which is to say something that entails behaviour that is stupid, selfish, inconsiderate of others, and doesn’t even acknowledge that there could be such a concept as the collective good, or a way of behaving that would benefit everybody, instead of just one’s own narrow self-interest.

What is this, I hear you ask? Well, it’s the baggage reclaim carousel at the airport.

Baggage reclaim carousels are a clever, efficient idea for helping people get their bags back after they’ve been unloaded from the hold of the plane. It’s a simple notion, but the idea is that everyone can spot their own bags as they come around on the conveyor, step forward and retrieve them, then be on their way reasonably quickly.

Quite a few baggage reclaim carousels have a clearly marked line about 4 feet back from the conveyor , and even if they haven’t, the idea ought to be fairly clear – people need to stand a short distance back from the carousel so that everybody gets a clear view of the bags as they come round and can then step forward to collect theirs in plenty of time and in a relaxed, stress-free way. It’s actually pretty crucial that this happens, as the entire carousel concept is based on people being able to see their own bags coming round on the conveyor well in advance. Unless you have an unobstructed view of the conveyor, the basic principle of the luggage carousel’s efficient operation is undermined.

So what actually happens in practice? Yep, every fucker on the plane charges right up to the carousel and stands as close as they can to it, shoulder to shoulder like spectators at Princess Diana’s fucking funeral. They form a living wall of self-centred fuckwittery that makes it quite impossible to see your bag coming around without forming human pyramids to see over the obstructing arseholes - or ducking and diving like some demented chicken to try and get a glimpse of the bags through some selfish fucker’s legs. If and when you do manage to get a glimpse of your bag, you then have to barge through the obstructing selfish twats shouting EXCUSE ME PLEASE, and elbowing people aside in a desperate attempt to grab your bag off the conveyor before it goes off around the loop again.

It’s stressful and irritating, but it doesn’t need to be – if only people would drop the fucking Daily Mail mentality that I’m quite convinced is what causes them to behave in the way that they do.

So there you go – a perfect example of actual behaviour that to my mind absolutely exemplifies the Daily Mail reader mindset and attitude.

Perhaps you can think of other examples ?
Last edited by Abernathy on Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You have to hang back and let them all scrabble for their bags and then calmly go and get yours as it trundles round a sparsely populated conveyer belt when they've all buggered off.

Trouble is, if everyone did that you all stand miles from it, pretending not to look at it and twitching like track cyclists in a pursuit race desperately trying not to go first.

So, as you say, use it like it's meant to be used.
Abernathy wrote: If and when you do manage to get a glimpse of your bag, you then have to barge through the obstructing selfish sheeple shouting EXCUSE ME PLEASE, and elbowing people aside in a desperate attempt to grab your bag off the conveyor before it goes off around the loop again.
Which naturally leds to tutting and dirty looks in your direction as you've been rude to them and how very dare you.
I went to grab my bag last time I flew into Heathrow and had to fight my way to the belt; I ended up whacking a moronic man with it as he absolutely would not move despite repeated 'excuse me's.

See also: boarding the plane. They board passengers by row for a reason. If you are sitting in row 10 and the call is for passengers in rows 40-60 to board, you do not fucking board because it messes everything up and you'll be standing there pissing about with your no doubt oversized hand luggage at the front of the plane, oblivious to the dozens of people waiting for you to sit down so they can get past. Similarly, a 12 year old and a 15 year old are not infants, so don't get on the plane with them when the call goes out for parents with small children. And please put your sodding bags in the overhead locker above your seat, not several rows ahead. Someone else might want to use that one, the person who's sitting in that row perhaps. Finally, you know when the pilot tells passengers to switch off all mobile devices? Yes, believe it or not s/he does fucking mean you as well, you thoughtless, self-obsessed dickweed.

You see a lot of self-centred 'rules don't apply to me' behaviour when travelling. I blame it (on BA at least) on the fact BA carry the Mail as the free paper.
Last time I travelled by plane it was on Sleazyjet. The queue to get on the plane in France was in three lines - the first being the one for privileged beings who either need to board early due to disability or small kids etc or who have paid extra for it, the other two constituting the rest of the queue with those who arrived latest being in the third line. Once we were ready to board, they just stood back and allowed a total free for all, with the result that all three lines surged forward at once, there was a brief scrum round the doors and another fight going up the stairs to the plane. Once in, the people who had thrust small kids and old ladies aside in their haste to get on then did the whole obstructing-the-aisle-whilst-rearranging-luggage thing with a heaving crowd behind them unable to get past. And i did clock some of them reading the Mail later on.
I often catch a train which has 3 carriages, this around the time that the tail-end of the rush hour becomes early evening instead. The train could seat 240 people (so I'm told by the chap who boards to pick up the litter, who shares my point of view on this matter and likes a joke). Around 100 people show up on a typical day and what do they do? Do they spread out and end up with each carriage a little less than half full? Do they fuck.

A small number grasp that more than double this number can be seated and nobody will stand. These are usually seasoned travllers, regular commuters and people with some gumption. The largest group take their lead from the third group and thse are the 'joe public wanting to get where we're going' type. The third group are the vicious self-centred irrational bastards, convinced that they're being hard done by and ready to trample old ladies windpipes to get what they are entitled to.

The train pulls in with 5 carriages and goes through some uncoupling procedures and preparation, which takes a minute or two. A few announcements announce that this will occur and that passengers should keep clear, etc. Step forward about 20 Mailite types with a frantic air about them, to then start repeatedly pressing the button to open the door. Cue much harrumphing and puffing and blowing when the locked doors do not open. That the lights are off on the train the 'use the door now' lights are off means nothing. Here is MY train in front of me, half of mankind is behind me and they want MY SEAT. They're not fucking having it. Bastards. I bought a ticket y'know. Not like these other imposters.

They work themselves up into a state and begin declaring loudly to each other what an outrage this is and what a bloody cheek and so forth. The button bashing increases in fervour and the anxiety leves are climbing nicely. The second group start milling forward, not clear why but not wanting to lose out on whatever it is that the others urgently demand - i.e. to get on the empty train.

Eventually the doors open and dozens of people clamber on at once, manhandling people who they have crushed up against and making a lot of comotion out of something so easy. A mania descends and people lunge down the aisles bagging the table seats (who wants to sit facing a surly stranger who hogs all of the space anyway?). After the intial surge people climb aboard more sensibly. When everyone is on I get up from my bench and choose a carriage which seems to have the least mobile phone conversations taking place inside it. I choose the seat which looks most likely to afford me some peace and quiet.

Then we all sit there for 12 minutes until it is time to go. The litter man might offer me a newspaper he has picked up, along with a sense of something understood.

Every time this happens, people wrestling and shoving each other, clobbering each other with luggage 'accidently' and behaving like spoilt toddlers having a tantrum. Why? A seconds glance reveals there will be a choice of seats and a look at the time reveals there is time enough to leave the station, walk round the blokc, buy a coffee, come back, get on board and still be bored shitless waiting for the off.

I think they spend their lives in a state of near fury over imagined slights and have an alarming sense of entitlement and precious little grasp of any faculties of reason.
Lordy, Gourami, that is so accurate.

The other thing is why do so many of those same fuckwits who have scrabbled frantically to get their seat then spend the last 4 minutes of the journey - ie the 4 minutes before the train gets into their station stop - stood up near the door waiting to get off, their hard-won seat now abandoned, BEFORE THE FUCKING TRAIN GETS THERE? All this while it is a matter of seconds to get up from your seat and walk to the exit door. You will also note that there is always some twatter near the doors with his/her claw poised over the door open button so that (s)he can press it the very pico-second it lights up.

Jeebus, people are such wankers.
They might get up early because they're anxious types who fear missing their stop but I suspect they're just impatient sods and convinced they should be there already and isn't it just typical and blah di blah...

As for the door buttons - pay attention on those trains which have one on both sides of the door as sometimes things can get positivily territorial and competitive. I once moved aside to make way for a small child who was merrilly telling Mummy that they wanted to press the button. "Ah! Bless! How sweet!" I thought to myself and had a warm glow inside. The train stopped and an arsehole barged through the happy scene to press the button the pico-second.... you get the picture.

What kind of arsehole can't pause in their day to let a child press a button? What emergency is so great? And people who burst from trains like marauding zombes - why do they then frequently lumber up the platfrom and stand on the escalator? If you're in a rush then walk, jog or run up the escalator. At least get your arse out my face. Is this why you spoiled a child's fun? Is this what you stood on my foot for? So I could be nose to crack with you 30 seconds and 50 metres away?
Or people who are so desperate to get on that they stand full in front of the door and stop you getting off?

Of course, in the days of slam-door trains there were constant injuries from people opening doors whilst the train was still moving whiche then swung out and hit people waiting on the platform.
Abernathy wrote:I may well have grumbled about this before, but this time it’s in a specific Daily Mail related context.
Rubbish. Knuckle-dragging Mirror and Sun reader mindset more like. You should travel like I do - hire a private jet - no check in hassles, no stampede to be first on the place the moment the gate opens and you and your bags go from plane straight into your car. If you will travel like the track suited underclass.....
a bit of balance wrote:
Abernathy wrote:I may well have grumbled about this before, but this time it’s in a specific Daily Mail related context.
Rubbish. Knuckle-dragging Mirror and Sun reader mindset more like. You should travel like I do - hire a private jet - no check in hassles, no stampede to be first on the place the moment the gate opens and you and your bags go from plane straight into your car. If you will travel like the track suited underclass.....
Sure you do Mister Mitty...
a bit of balance wrote:
Out of interest, how does this provide "balance"? Or are you just admitting you're trolling.
Jeremy Corbyn.

Progress: after Corbyn's speech this morning, it[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

BREXIT BOMBSHELL: Terrified EU to be forced in[…]

The Sun

"It's terrible seeing foreign rich people try[…]

Nigel Farage

Farage can't drive in case his wheel nuts are tamp[…]