•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
youngian wrote:An angry tourist in the Caribean hit by Irma is bitching about his travel agent; "They should have planes on stand-by to fly us out straight away."

'I went when it was cheaper because it was the hurricane season and there was a hurricane.'
Just arrived on Crete for the annual fortnight, which of course means that I have experienced the joys of the airport baggage reclaim carousel again.

Do people really not understand that the whole fucking thing doesn't work unless you give everyone else a chance to get a good look at the bags coming round so that they can avoid picking up someone else's?

Krishna on a carthorse.
I found myself grabbing a lone lunch today in a rather fine pub that serves superb beer and exquisite Thai nosh. Sipping my IPA and waiting for my Pad Prik King chicken to arrive, I picked up the pub's newspaper for a browse. It was, shock horror, The Daily Mail.

And do you know what struck me most? Not the slathering leader columns, nor the astonishingly biased reports or the blatant lies - we know all about that. No, it was the ads section, just before the sports section towards the back. There were ads for : stair lifts, bath lifts, special chairs to help you stand up, hearing aids, reading glasses, mobility scooters, hoists to lift your mobility scooter into the back of your car, hearing aids, will writing services, no-quibble life insurance policies, equity release plans, and funeral plans. Amazing.

And that's before you even get to the pull-out supplement about how to beat Alzheimer's by eating the right kind of celery.

The Mail's readership might be a bunch of reactionary cunts, but they're dying cunts. Roll on the day.
I don't know. At my work, I go to the staff room for lunch and there are always 3 women from another department in there, discussing the issues of the day. Such drab, monotonous negativity. Today they were discussing Strictly.

"Who's [celebrity]?"

"Dunno"

"I've never heard of them..."

That's one of their better ones, actually. When they get onto political stuff, it's truly moronic, turgid and soul destroying stuff. They all read the Mail. I swear they turn the pages in synchrony.
Abernathy wrote:The Mail's readership might be a bunch of reactionary cunts, but they're dying cunts. Roll on the day.
But cunts beget cunts. They're not going anywhere soon; most likely, they'll shift online.

And anyway, why are you eating that foreign muck, you collaborator? Go back to the bar and DEMAND steak and kidney pudding!!
If I didn't know that the source was legitimate, and that they had the third party links to back it up, I'd swear that this had to be a wind-up:
Hart said he chose the language deliberately. “I am sure if I said ‘no women allowed’ that would be illegal,” he told The Hull Daily Mail. “But you can say ‘women are not welcome’.” It’s nice to know he put so much thought into the sign, plus, as my illustrious colleague, Amy Jones, commented: “He's done it on a lightbox as well, so you know he's #instagramready.”
Hart told the Evening Standard that he believed women were “taking over” the UK by “usurping men's position in society". How exactly are women “taking over” you might be wondering? By being so audacious as to do things like “working in shops” and “becoming bishops”.
“I hate that Pankhurst woman and all those suffragettes, I just hate the fact that women vote.” Surprisingly, he also resents the fact that women are allowed to drive. “I suppose they can drive a little, they are not very good drivers,” Hart said.
I saw two of 'em, Mail readers, today. In the supermarket at the newspaper racks.

In quick succession, they both went to the stack of Daily Mails, and both carefully extracted the second copy from the stack, leaving the top copy in place.

I don't think I'll ever understand this.
Abernathy wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:30 pm
I saw two of 'em, Mail readers, today. In the supermarket at the newspaper racks.

In quick succession, they both went to the stack of Daily Mails, and both carefully extracted the second copy from the stack, leaving the top copy in place.

I don't think I'll ever understand this.
It's a common habit that I used to do myself in my younger years. The reason in my case is that as newspapers would often come bundled together with that sharp ribbon type stuff that's often used for packing, they otherwise would have no protection like a paper wrapper covering them. Given the way newspapers that I seen were delivered (my dad used to work in a newsagents around this time plus later on when another nearby newsagents would have their newspapers delivered to them on a school bus) they weren't exactly treated with the utmost care, often just being chucked out of a van quickly before the delivery team moved on. This meant that the front and back copies were often vulnerable to getting torn, ragged, dirty etc. And quite often because customers often seen the tatty top copy of the newspaper they would often get the second copy from the top that would almost always be in good condition. I've seen it happen with people picking up all different newspapers and I'm one that's guilty as charged, often leaving the last two copies being the ones in the worst condition of the bunch. It's an element of social behaviour that's not just restricted to Da*ly Ma*l Island.
Well, yes. But in this instance the copy on the top of the stack was in perfect condition. Nowt wrong with it (except it was the Mail).

If the top copy is indeed skanky, I'll go down the stack myself. But here, it was in good nick.
People shit and wipe their fingers on the top one.

Knowing this I always wipe mine on the third one down.
Abernathy liked this
I stacked shelves in Tesco for four months over the summer and going for the product behind the one at the front is not confined to newspapers. We're not talking about the assumption that the freshest apple is behind the stale one at the front, I worked the cereals, tea and coffee and crisps/savouries aisles.

I have always maintained that if you want to see the worst in human nature try buying and selling a house. My experience as a minimum wages slave in Tesco eclipsed that opinion.
I'll never forget Christmas during my Saturday job as a 14 year old in our local Co-op fruit and veg section. Goodwill to all men? None of that there! Just red faced fury at having to queue 1 second longer than they thought necessary only tempered by being able to give abuse to us staff. Hey but at least we could say Merry Christmas back then without being executed on the spot by the PC brigade!!!! :x
Boris Johnson

To be fair to Corbyn, I wouldn't blame him for a s[…]

The LibDems, generally

This policy is OK, but the refusal to work with La[…]

Johnson's deal, if it exists, is going to be harde[…]

The Sun

Cameron is a Tory: What do you expect aside form […]