:sunglasses: 33.3 % :grinning: 66.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Bones McCoy wrote:
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:I suspect that plays a big part in it. I also think it's the Daily Mails really weird attitude of turning against anything that becomes popular and proceeding to sneer at it and smear it and every opportunity. Literally for no other reason other than the fact people like it.
The difference between Mailites and Hipsters.
Mailites didn't even like it before it was popular.
Then there was the time Quentin Letts did a piece about how he loved I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue. I felt a bit dirty for liking it too, until he started on about how it was "good clean fun" (Amanda Platell has said similiar things about Monty Python). Then I wondered, in both cases, whether they'd actually ever listened to/seen (beyond the sketches everyone knows) the thing.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
There's a similar thing with Mailites grumbling about comedy.
They'll lay into somebody they've never heard of on the strength of a photograph (Filth! It's all left wing and swearing nowadays) for example Bill Bailey.

They (mailites) continue: Not like the good old comedy shows, there was nothing risque in them

Like Morcambe and Wise
Nice out todays isn't it. Yes I think I'll get mine out too.
Or the two Ronnies, whose most famous sketch ends with barely disguised double-entendre "Billhooks".
And there you have it.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Bones McCoy wrote:There's a similar thing with Mailites grumbling about comedy.
They'll lay into somebody they've never heard of on the strength of a photograph (Filth! It's all left wing and swearing nowadays) for example Bill Bailey.

They (mailites) continue: Not like the good old comedy shows, there was nothing risque in them

Like Morcambe and Wise
Nice out todays isn't it. Yes I think I'll get mine out too.
Or the two Ronnies, whose most famous sketch ends with barely disguised double-entendre "Billhooks".
And there you have it.
All good clean fun in the past was it, Mail? I remember Dad telling me about a couple of music hall comics from the 30s that he said were smutty, Frank Randle and Max Miller.
By Andy McDandy
Yes. British comedy has always been, to a degree, about getting crap past the radar. Morecambe and Wise, the Two Ronnies - it was all innuendo. Fair enough, the kids can let all the adult stuff sail over their heads and not be exposed to anyone saying fuck, but as Ronnie Barker himself said, the great thing about a double meaning is that it only really means one thing.

Their attitude to comedy is much like their attitude to swearing* in print - asterisk out the words and let people fill in the blanks. Nothing blatant, just really heavy suggestion.

*Or sex. Or racism. Or anything else really.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Yes, true that, I have a foot in both camps really on the old time v alternative comedy debate, I was a big fan of Morecambe & Wise, and of Les Dawson and Ronnie Barker, but some others of that era were dreadful, every time Monkhouse or Tarbuck came on I had to change channels. Benny Hill was a strange one, he COULD be funny and inventive sometimes, when he made an effort and I think he could have become a comedy character actor, like Barker, but most of the time it seemed he couldn't be arsed and relied on samey smutty routines

Of the newer stuff, I liked Rowan Atkinson, Alexei Sayle and Rik Mayall, but not Ben Elton, although I was a fan of Blackadder, which he wrote.

By Abernathy
From ISIHAC :
The experts expert on Give Us A Clue, was Lionel Blair. Who can ever forget opposing team captain Una Stubbs sitting open mouthed as he tried to pull off Twelve Angry Men in under two minutes!
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:From ISIHAC :
The experts expert on Give Us A Clue, was Lionel Blair. Who can ever forget opposing team captain Una Stubbs sitting open mouthed as he tried to pull off Twelve Angry Men in under two minutes!
:D Reminds me of a story about Rodney Marsh, who only got about 3 or 4 England caps. One match, in the first half, he wasn't doing much and the then England manager, Alf Ramsey, shouted from the touchline "Rodney, I'm pulling you off at half time!"

Marsh's reply "cheers, Alf, all we get at QPR is an orange and a cup of tea!"
By Andy McDandy
:lol:

But yeah, IIRC Platell described Python* as good clean fun, based clearly on exposure to nothing more than watching John Cleese doing a silly walk. How she'd respond to the cannibal undertaker, or to the live sex education sketch I've no idea.

*In fairness a lot of people's awareness of Python is as follows - dead parrot, hell's grannies, lumberjack song**, silly walks, Holy Grail (and even then very selective - I once had a library customer asking if we had "that black knight film" in stock, and he didn't mean the Martin Lawrence comedy).

**And those three sketches all from one episode out of 45...
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Grace Blakeley https://twitter.com/graceblakeley[…]

Meanwhile in Greece

Seriously though, what a bunch of imbeciles, g[…]

Theresa May

According to the Telegraph, May "is consideri[…]

Daily Express headline today

https://i.postimg.cc/m2FBpS7M/Dx-Ytyk-VX4-AESb-Mp[…]