:sunglasses: 33.3 % :grinning: 66.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Massive Python fan here. It could be a bit hit or miss, but at its best it was brilliant. My Dad was actually a fan of it, and I started watching it when it was first on, when I would have been about 9, Mum thought it was daft, but she let me stay up late once a week to watch it. From memory, it didn't have a regular time slot and was moved about a bit.

Never quite got why it became big in America though, as it contained a lot of very British references in it, which an American audience wouldn't understand
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
IIRC it was a hit among students and what the Mail would dismiss as "metropolitan elites". While the US has a strong tradition of verbose and genuinely smart comedy (Marx brothers, Will Rogers, Lenny Bruce, George Carlin etc), by the early 1970s US TV comedy was pretty much the likes of Henny Youngman doing "my wife" gags, or Rowan and Martin perving over young Goldie Hawn. Pretty LCD stuff.

While Python wasn't immune to that (quick, stick on Carol in her underwear, or have a topless woman turn up), they did at least lampshade it, and point out that they knew exactly what they were doing and how cheap it was.

By Slagella
Membership Days
Andy McDandy wrote:Yes. British comedy has always been, to a degree, about getting crap past the radar.

Back in the 1890s Marie Lloyd had a torrid time with "She Sits Among the Cabbages and Peas" which she then changed to "I Sits Amongst the Cabbages and Leeks."

Wikipedia LINK.
By Andy McDandy
Also see Shakespeare.
MALVOLIO:
By my life, this is my lady’s hand: these be her very
C’s, her U’s, and her T’s; and thus makes she her great P’s.
He also snuck a "Yo Momma" joke into Titus Andronicus.
By Silkyman
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:IIRC it was a hit among students and what the Mail would dismiss as "metropolitan elites". While the US has a strong tradition of verbose and genuinely smart comedy (Marx brothers, Will Rogers, Lenny Bruce, George Carlin etc), by the early 1970s US TV comedy was pretty much the likes of Henny Youngman doing "my wife" gags, or Rowan and Martin perving over young Goldie Hawn. Pretty LCD stuff.

While Python wasn't immune to that (quick, stick on Carol in her underwear, or have a topless woman turn up), they did at least lampshade it, and point out that they knew exactly what they were doing and how cheap it was.
I remember a lot of Carol in her skimpies, but not any actual topless women in the tv series? I caught an episode of The Goodies a few years ago on Gold or something, and I'm sure I remembered watching it as a kid so was surprised to see some topless women in that.
By Andy McDandy
Couple of times. The dull life of a stockbroker and the summarise Proust sketches come to mind.

Plus of course the rather fine Patricia Quinn in Meaning of Life.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Don't remember anything much in The Goodies. That was something I was a fan of in the 70s, and I hadn't seen any of them repeated since, and one Christmas a few years ago, about 2004 or 5, the 1973 Christmas special was repeated, the one with the giant goose dropping bombs. I enjoyed it as a 13 year old in '73, but upon seeing it again, didn't find it that funny.

Python, on the other hand I still like, although the final series, in '74, John Cleese wasn't in, and it wasn't as good

By davidjay
Membership Days Posts
I was never a fan of Python, mainly because I spent too much of my formative years listening to smarmy Genesis/Yes/ELP fans, who looked down on any 'track' lasting less than half an hour, quoting 'hilarious' sketches verbatim. I did like some of the more maintream stuff such as the Parrot Sketch and Fish Licence, though. As for the Goodies, I'm surprised why it never gets repeated although I suspect that after a couple of episodes the reason would become clear.
Last edited by davidjay on Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
By karlt
Membership Days
I got the Goodies on DVD a few years ago. It's a mixed bag; everyone remembers the giant kitten (which is superb) but there's a lot of not so great humour. It worked best when they were (a) being silly or (b) using stop-motion to inadvertently drag Tim Brooke-Taylor through a dogshit* but sometimes they let the characters bounce off of each other for too long, and the interplay just wasn't up to say Steptoe, which for my money had probably the best character interplay of any mainstream sit-com.

*Search for "dog" on http://www.goodiesruleok.com/articles.php?id=241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By Andy McDandy
Yeah, saw an episode a few years ago and was surprised how dated it had become. The episode in question was themed around South Africa and apartheid, and to be fair was quite critical of it, but in a "we'll laugh about black people in our own way" sense. A bit like a Kipper calling the BNP racist, I suppose. Which was odd because the basic personas of Bill Oddie and Tim Brooke-Taylor in the show were very much tied to the seventies in that Reggie Perrin-like "go too far any way and you'll sound like a twat" way.

Still Graeme Garden is a comedy genius, and one of those people who are just naturally funny.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Yes, I liked Graeme Garden. In some ways, I think stuff from the 80s is actually more dated than that from the 60s or 70s. The earlier stuff has acquired a kind of period interest and charachter, whereas 80s stuff is just shit and looks crap

(maybe its just me with fond memories of the 60s and 70s, giving those eras a positive spin in my memory, but disliking the 80s and anything associated with it?)

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Wasn't quite sure where to put this but I think these comments are borne out of The Drip.

Bridge of sighs: Disgusted mother, 19, spots a couple having SEX in an underpass outside her home in broad daylight
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -home.html

I suspect putting her age in the headline was done for this very reason:

Billy No-Mates, Coboconk, United Kingdom, 3 hours ago
More shocked that at 19 years of age, Shoemark is a mother of 2. Nice. She'll never work a day in her life and will leech the NHS and benefits that should only be used for those who have contributed into the system. Get a babysitter and a job!
+315 -33
hewhoknows3000, NotBradfordItsBeenTakenOver, United Kingdom, 3 hours ago
A 19 year old mother of two lecturing others on sex .... haha, Ive heard it all.
+252 -23
TKGD, Nottingham, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago
Glad I'm not the only one who saw the irony in this... 19 year old already a 'mother' and commenting on people sh*gging... Ha!
+107 -20
afafaf, North West, United Kingdom, 1 hour ago
There's some irony when a single 19 year old mother of two is moaning about people having casual sex.
+74 -10
GrumpyJanner, Plymouth, United Kingdom, 1 hour ago
2 kids at 19 - get your own house in order first and if you were so digusted by it why watch for a whole 15 minutes? Attention seeking grotbag
+42 -5

There seems to be a running theme. Because she's a young mother she must have had sex in a public place so has no right to take issue with other people having sex in a public place? Odd.
By Danson's Forehead
Membership Days
It's always struck me that, if our Mail-reading friends were to be consistent about their nostalgia for the 1950s golden age, they ought to be dead pleased with seeing teenage mothers around the place.

By MisterMuncher
Hypothesis: it is not the presence or prevalence of darkies, queers and sluts that exercise the readership to such a degree, but the fact it's no longer the done thing to spit on the aforementioned in the street and shun them utterly.

By Messianic Trees
Membership Days Posts
DAILY MAIL COMMENT: Keep trendy politics away from the pulpit

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... ulpit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How deeply depressing that the Archbishop of Canterbury has added his voice to the chorus of luvvies wailing against Brexit and Donald Trump.

We have grown used to such posturing from millionaires at the Baftas and Oscars, parading Left-wing consciences before sweeping off in limousines, clutching £160,000 goodie bags.

But why does the chief clergyman of the Church of England feel impelled to join them in the political arena, bandying about words such as 'populist' and even 'fascist' to insult anyone who challenges the liberal orthodoxy?

For Justin Welby's information, millions voted Leave without a trace of racism or ill-feeling towards fellow men. They included churchgoing Anglicans – and many who fought fascism in the war.

Yes, they wanted stronger border controls to ease the strain on public services and protect national security. But what's so wrong about that?

They were motivated, too, by a belief in Britain's ability to prosper in the world beyond the EU.

And every man and woman among them believed in voters' democratic right, denied by Brussels, to elect and sack their rulers (an option unavailable under fascist regimes!)

Indeed, this paper sees nothing in the Brexit agenda to warrant such crass and offensive condemnation from the pulpit.

As for Mr Trump, true, he is deeply flawed – though you might think a churchman would at least approve of his crackdown on mass abortion and support for Christians in the Middle East.

But what business is it of the Archbishop to condemn the choice of 63million Americans, or bracket them with supporters of European neo-fascists?

In an increasingly Godless Britain of emptying pews, family breakdown, selfishness, greed and shallow celebrity, you might think Mr Welby had enough to concern him without dabbling in fashionable politics – thus further dividing a church already torn apart by its obsession with gay rights.

If he wanted to preach right-on liberalism, he should have stood alongside Nick Clegg for Parliament.
Climate change and "politics"

BR, you may want it to be treated as a purely scie[…]

Indeed. I've recently had someone on Quora tell m[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

And of course, the BBC carried all of it live, wit[…]

Nigel Farage

He seemed to appear every TV news studio on Tuesda[…]