:sunglasses: 100 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
Think back, if you will, to July 2010. A plucky, heroic pensioner stood up to the PC brigade and leapt off a cliff:

Elf 'n' safety be damned! The ex-Army major, 75, who leapt off Durdle Door tells his critics to go take a running jump
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z21X8hbskv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Met with comments like this:
God bless Mr. Irven! As a former U.S. Woman Marine, I HAVE to agree with him - my greatest regrets are what I DIDN'T attempt. I'm so sick of the "nanny state" & overall government interference, I could smoke a pickle. Keep on keepin' on, Major! Semper Fi' to Mr. Irven! DM
- Diamond Mair, Houston, TX, 16/7/2010 4:27
Fast-forward just two years, and we've now decided it's a bad thing to jump off cliffs into shallow water after all. Whoops, mea culpa:

Family of 22-year-old who died after 'tombstoning' from Devil's Bridge into river say tragedy should 'hammer home' dangers of extreme sport
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z21XAKx2au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Darrell Teal, 22, died after jumping 30 feet off the bridge into a river below
- Father Shaun said: 'My head’s just not with it at the moment after what happened. I’m struggling to deal with it now'
By Carlos The Badger
Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:Hmmmmmm. "I could smoke a pickle."

WTF?
It's an ex United States Moron Corps person from Texas called Diamond. It could mean anything. And probably does.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
How fake medical news is SERIOUSLY damaging our health: From vaccines and heart pills to cancer drugs and diets, as experts report a rise in misinformation online, a special investigation tackles the dangerous myths threatening our health

SPECIAL INVESTIGATION: We are living in an era of fake news, spread under the guise of legitimate reporting
Can plastic bottles cause cancer? This can myth be traced to a viral email that first appeared in 2004
Will my phone give me a tumour? Studies have shown no evidence low-level radiation is in any way harmful
Do Statins even work? Thousands show the drugs do work, cutting heart-attack and stroke risk significantly
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/arti ... ealth.html

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Wasn't really sure where to put this but this thread fits.

It has been noted that the Mail have been running a long running anti-vaping campaign. Their motives for this are questionable and potentially sinister.

Anyway, after years of cherry picking random "studies" about how bad vaping might be for you, they come out with this:

Smokers are 'overestimating' dangers of vaping: UK cancer study finds four in 10 people don’t know smoking is more harmful than e-cigarettes
Less than 60 per cent accurately believed that vaping is less harmful
Misperceptions have increased, according to figures from previous research
Smokers are more likely to have misperceptions, possibly halting them to quit

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/arti ... thier.html

I wonder where they hell they got that idea from, you cretins?

By Boiler
With respect, you're wrong. The stance seems to be that they preferred a time in the mid-1950s when people knew their place and life was a lot simpler and thus easier to understand. The perspective is from an upper-working class to middle class stance and very much that of "keeping up with the Joneses".

They dislike anything to do with the public sector because that sounds like an easy way out into employment, and because the public sector occasionally tells them what to do (heaven knows how they square that with the CoI of past times and the war-time leaflets that told the population what it should be doing).

Things like the much-decried "health and safety" is two-fold; one, it's telling me what to do and two, providing a safe/healthy working environment costs businesses money. (I've seen people say they voted 'leave' because of the cost of providing ergonomic chairs for their office staff) They should know rotating machinery will injure them, so more fool them if they put themselves in harm's way (incidentally, this was an argument against providing signalling on the early railways; the drivers would act upon their self-preservation instincts if there was nothing telling them of danger ahead). I know people who still refuse to wear seat belts in cars.

I could go on, but I need to take my tablets (and no, that's not a joke).
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
There would be loads about the 1950s that the Heil would hate like publicly owned utilities, transport, commitment to affordable housing, NHS, trade union rights, rising wages.

It exists solely to propagate hate and intolerance and would have fitted in brilliantly in Nazi Germany.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Sure about that?

The Tories are living in this MInford fantasy worl[…]

The Tories, Generally

Cleverley. He'll get off on a technicality, no do[…]

Labour, Generally.

Fairly predictable, really. Trumplet is successful[…]