Discussion of the more serious side of the Mail's agenda
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Fozzy
Membership Days Posts
I started posting this comment on another thread but then decided it needed its own.

The Mail could single-handedly improve its readers' brain power simply by having a prominent "Today's fact" feature, preferably on the front page of the paper version and centrally near the top of the online version. It could feature each day one of a few basic facts that its readers seem wholly incapable of grasping - they'd have to keep it going in a continuous cycle so that with any luck the information would eventually sink in. Here are a few to start off with -

1. Illegal immigrants get no benefits.
2. The European Convention on Human Rights and the Human Rights Court have nothing to do with the EU. If we left the EU would still be signed up to the ECHR.
3. There are and have been for centuries an awful lot of British people living and working abroad. The mere fact that someone was born abroad does not automatically make them a filthy benefit-scrounging forrin. The mere fact that they are forrin doesn't make them filthy and benefit-scrounging either.
4. If a judge passes a minimum sentence then that's what it is, and there is no point posting stupid comments about how the criminal will be out within weeks.
5. If you open a guest house as a business, you can't claim that it is your home, and you can't complain if that means that you can't prevent dreadful gays from doing unspeakable things in the room they have paid for. Likewise if you take a job that bans the wearing of jewellery, don't complain if your employer won't let you wear a chain with a cross on it.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Whilst it has been conclusively proven in a controlled long-term study of 15,000 subjects, that a right-wing mentality is not a form of mental illness, rather a question of meagre intelligence

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... acist.html,

much of this is just the wilful ignorance that is essential to the mail's business plan if it is to thrive and prosper.

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
But Fozzy The Mail plays a large part of the reason that they're so confused about those things. It's not in The Mail's interests that they wise up as that would result it fewer hits on the dogwhistle articles.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Prexactly. Why on earth would the Mail want to increase the brain power of their readers?
Their entire raison d'etre is to encourage the opposite view of everything you mention.
By JuanTwoThree
But then we might get a return to Right-wing/Neo-Fascist entryism in the Tories. I dare say it still exists but most of the swivel-eyed loonies are kept off its back by UKIP and the BNP.

Mind, the Tories are being fairly right-wing without any help, though mostly fiscally rather than socially.
By Andy McDandy
The Mail and Express do love to educate their readers. The Express, I believe, runs a column called "The Saturday Briefing" with the subtitle 'knowledge is power'.

But only knowledge of a certain kind. The stuff that might win you a pub quiz, or impress Dave from accounts. Quirky factoids, you know.

Actual reasoning skills, critical thinking, stuff like that - well, that's all PC nonsense that wastes time that can be better spent memorising dates and working out which tube stations share letters with the word 'mackerel' or something.
By glasgowgril
Membership Days Posts
And gasping and stretching one's eyes when one has tested one's grandchildren on whether they know all the kings of England by date and finding they don't. I mean, what do they teach in them schools, eh? In my day we learned things. Lists and stuff. It made me the man I am. Oh wait a minute, I'm a woman.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
Huffpost is striving to take the Mail's Dunce Cap.
They have a story on how uneducated our kids are (to be fair the Indy is running the same piece of tedious churnalism from a commercial 'survey').

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/10 ... lp00000003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From this we discover that many 'children' think that 'Professor Green' is a scientist (so did I, the clue's pretty much in the name) and
Although one in five children (19%) know and love TV Professor Brian Cox, a large proportion are unable to identify a number of significant, heavyweight names from the world of science and innovation, including Charles Darwin (63% unable to identify), Louis Pasteur (75%), Thomas Edison (62%) and Isaac Newton (61%).
That could be because they were asking children of five. Yes, five years old and they can't identify Louis Pasteur. Must be the lefty teachers' unions...

I haven't looked to see if the Mail has picked this up yet, but I reckon the odds are approaching 100%.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Around one in 20 school children (6%) believe The X Factor judge Tulisa Contostavlos created penicillin.
Clearly a multi-choice question, and they are either guessing or taking the piss. Ask it as a straight question and 94% would say they didn't know.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
That's the standard technique in these surveys. And some of them are 5, so wouldn't know what penicillin is. Monumentally dishonest.

The Indy says that a 'million children' think Tulisa (who she?) invented penicillin, yet the survey had 1000 respondents. So some very dodgy figure work going on, as well.

But it will be part of the 'dumbing down' drip.
Jeremy Corbyn.

Progress: after Corbyn's speech this morning, it[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

BREXIT BOMBSHELL: Terrified EU to be forced in[…]

The Sun

"It's terrible seeing foreign rich people try[…]

Nigel Farage

Farage can't drive in case his wheel nuts are tamp[…]