Discussion of the more serious side of the Mail's agenda
By LottieZero
Membership Days
I read this article through a link in the 'grammatical errors' topic, and thought about replying there but thought it'd be too off-topic, so here's a topic about my thoughts instead.
Mother's dismay as 60 'drug-crazed' teenagers trash home after girls' pizza-and-movie sleepover for three spirals out of control
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... pover.html

This isn't the first time I've seen a topic like this on the Mail site (not that I'm there that often, cough, cough) - you know, where parents have been out and some plonkers from the kids' high school come and do a Begbie at the parents' house, causing previously unimaginable damage. This time round, it gave me the exact same reaction I had to the last one I read: a sick feeling, lowered mood and a strange sensation that's a bit like hypoglycaemia. At least this time, I didn't cry, which I did when I read the one where someone had urinated on their classmate's mum's wedding dress. (I know, I'm too soft for my own good, but still...) Is that what's supposed to happen? I know I'm hardly in their target demographic, being a low-income left-wing SNP/Labour voter who's LGBT and isn't that bothered about fashion, but... I'm not completely abnormal. I can imagine it might be meant to induce anger, but to me it'd have to be toned down a bit to get rid of the "oh, fuck the world, I've had enough" factor, because that just makes me want to avoid the news entirely and not buy their paper, which seems counter-productive on their part. What do you think? Is there some sort of appeal that I'm not quite understanding? :?
By JuanTwoThree
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Your reaction is normal. But some mail readers want to see if the house was nice, if the appliances were expensive, see if the mother was attractive or perhaps foreign and Judge Her. Important information like that the house is rented and the mother single have to be weighed in the balance.

Others want to have a jolly good tut-tut about young people today.

That unpleasant things happen to other people is always a bonus.

These are people for whom "Put yourself in somebody else's shoes" is just a noise.
By LottieZero
Membership Days
JuanTwoThree wrote:Your reaction is normal. But some mail readers want to see if the house was nice, if the appliances were expensive, see if the mother was attractive or perhaps foreign and Judge Her. Important information like that the house is rented and the mother single have to be weighed in the balance.

Others want to have a jolly good tut-tut about young people today.

That unpleasant things happen to other people is always a bonus.

These are people for whom "Put yourself in somebody else's shoes" is just a noise.
Heh, that's probably about right, considering the house is mentioned to be "rented" (very important detail, that :P )
The Sun

I can't keep up. No deal is great, ok and terrible[…]

Climate change and "politics"

BR, you may want it to be treated as a purely scie[…]

Indeed. I've recently had someone on Quora tell m[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

And of course, the BBC carried all of it live, wit[…]