Discussion of the more serious side of the Mail's agenda
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
In Dacreworld, when anything goes wrong, passengers panic and female cabin staff run down the aisle screaming "We're all going to die". The fact that passengers don't want to speak to several reporters thrusting microphones at them means that they are traumatised.
Dramatic footage shows terrifying moment passengers cower in terror as Boeing 767 lands and skids along runway on its belly

Cowering in terror = adopting the brace position.
Passengers were sobbing and texting their goodbyes to relatives
The story mentions one such text.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2L3so2Rh1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Terror at 27,000ft: Crew plug gap in super jumbo jet door with blankets and pillows stuck together with gaffer tape after it 'blows open' during the flight
'There was a huge blast... air was rushing into the cabin like a gale'
Air is much denser at 27,000 ft, as any fule kno.
A British tourist told yesterday of his flight of terror when he claims an emergency exit on a super jumbo blew open at 27,000ft.
Freezing air blasted in and the cabin pressure plunged after the door in business class came an inch and a half ajar, leaving a gaping hole, said Mr Reid.
As passengers wept in terror, he said, a petrified stewardess ran down the aisle and screamed ‘the door’s going to go’ before cowering behind her seat.
Stewardesses. Waste of space.
Astonishingly, according to Mr Reid, instead of making an emergency landing,
In the ocean?
The truth only emerges in the last five lines.
An Emirates spokesman said: ‘We can confirm there was a whistling noise emanating from one of the doors on the A380 upper deck on flight EK384 between Bangkok and Hong Kong on Monday, February 11. At no point was the safety of the flight in jeopardy.’
An Airbus spokesman said: ‘It is not possible for a cabin door to open on an A380 or on any aircraft whilst in flight, as doors open inwards and have locking mechanisms.
They are lucky to be alive. Doors can open fully in flight on A380s even at 50,000 feet so the staff can check the engines and stuff.
- TheBeef, Essex, United Kingdom, 15/2/2013 23:25
Click to rate Rating 307
Clearly a pisstake.
I am cabin crew on the A380 of another airline. I can say with certainty that this story is a complete lie. Lets begin with the picture: The green light visible has nothing to do with the door - that indicator is for the phone and call lights.... someone simply want more champagne.. The statement from EK is correct, the doors open inwards and are fixed into place like a plug. The cabin pressure SEALS them, not pushes them out. I notice the passenger claims he could see the air outside.... and yet no masks fell??? Alas a complete impossibility. Any sudden shifting of cabin pressure triggers the automatic mask system. He also claims the FA "hid under her chair", Unless she is a pixie - again, impossible (the chair is visible in the picture... if you can even see, you will see why this is so). This guy must be a fisherman.. the tale is much bigger than the sum of its parts...
- Ruddiger, Melbourne, 16/2/2013 0:41
Click to rate Rating 1325
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2L3wAco4K" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
The Mail doesn't care about the accuracy of such articles as it is guaranteed to get people who know it's rubbish pile in and comment and those who are worried do likewise. The first article has a video clip; I didn't view it but the Mail's video clips usually start with an advert so they get the click-bait hits to the site plus advertising revenue, kerching! an excellent business model. The site is fast becoming a British National Enquirer.
By Fact Hunt
Membership Days
And commercial airline pilots are hated by Mail readers because they are so highly paid. Despite the fact that, as any fule kno, they don't even have to lift a finger these days, as the computers can fly the plane on their own without any human intervention.

However airline pilots mustn't be confused with private pilots, who, just before they died in a horrible crash, are usually reported as heroically wrestling with the controls to steer the aircraft away from a school/orphanage/hospital/kitten sanctuary etc etc.
By Dacre Bleugh
Membership Days
All fair points, but is aviation really "The Dacre Drip" material?

Other than (tenuously) reinforcing the message that "peril" lies beyond the White Cliff of Dover, I'm not really sure this is as damaging or as significant as other "drip" subjects such as Winterval, "scroungers", Muslamics etc etc. These areas are perhaps more influential in shaping and reinforcing social attitudes based on misinformation via sustained coverage and the usual associated dog whistles.
By ConcernedCitizen
Membership Days
It is quite ironic that they like air-disaster stories as they are handed for free at many UK airports (just like British passports to illegal immigrants, almost). Aviation is a DM ideal - it has complex science and technology which they are too ignorant to explain or understand, touch of trash (various losers tweeting their pics from business class) which they can hang a whole story on and of course it has fear - the ultimate means of manipulation. What's not to mögen?

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Home Page wrote:Terror in the sky as typhoon fighter jet and helicopter pass within 650ft over the Peak District
Tornado jet pilot's close shave with helicopter as pair pass within hundreds of yards above Peak District
The UK Airprox Board has received no reports of a near miss
Aviation experts believe that the two aircraft may have passed within 2,000 - 3,000 ft of each other - putting them just 650 yards apart
And, according to the CAA, the picture suggests that the two aircraft are too far apart to be classified as a close call.
Richard Taylor, from the CAA, said: 'My initial impression is that this is not an airprox - near miss - incident and that the two aircraft are in fact several miles apart.
Who was terrified isn't explained. The hack who wrote this story?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2SGWE6D6j" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
To the DM. In father Ted voice, this cow is small but those ones are far away.
- Jon, Southend on Sea, 3/5/2013 19:35
Click to rate Rating 11
I live in a house built in an elevated position overlooking a valley that runs east to west. Some years ago around the time of Iraq II Tornados would fly up and down the valley practicing low-level flying, they are incredibly noisy and would make the sheep run for cover. The same valley was used by Chinnooks. One day I was watching two Chinnooks flying up the valley and they would have been flying lower the valley tops when a Tornado flew over the valley going north to south and followed the terrain and putting himself on collision course with the two Chinnooks. His radar and vision would have warned him and he shot upwards, almost vertically, to avoid hitting the helicopters who continued on their way, apparently unaware. I would guess that the Tornado pilot and navigator returned to their base early for a change of underpants.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
More terror in the sky.
Terror in the sky: Photographer captures moment plane's engine catches fire minutes after take off
The plane’s engine stalled and cut out while the blaze ripped through the aircraft, leaving it flying with just one engine.
Before landing.

After landing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2SSITPpbg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Big-Iain
Membership Days
Arnold wrote:More terror in the sky.
Ohmigawd. "...the engine exploded and caught fire." not only that, it looks like the aircraft has spontaneously grown two more engines. (Not to mention the aircraft doubling in size and gaining a second floor.)

For those not in the know, the event was on a Lufthansa Airbus A319, and the lower picture is a Lufthansa Airbus A380. If the DM can't even differentiate between those two, then I'm serious worried that their articles about Kim Kardassian should have been about Kevin Kardassian ! Or maybe they been confusing Margaret Thatcher with Margaret Beckett !! Oh the horror.

If I was being picky, "The German-bound Airbus suffered a number of technical problems...". Are they saying that the Airbus was tied up by a German?
By BeaBoyd
Membership Days
Big-Iain wrote:For those not in the know, the event was on a Lufthansa Airbus A319, and the lower picture is a Lufthansa Airbus A380. If the DM can't even differentiate between those two, then I'm serious worried that their articles about Kim Kardassian should have been about Kevin Kardassian ! Or maybe they been confusing Margaret Thatcher with Margaret Beckett !! Oh the horror.
Oh the irony - The aircraft in the incident, you know, the one with the picture of its engine on fire, is an Airbus A321 not an A319. Specifically, the aircraft is D-AISL, An Airbus A321-231 http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... rch=D-AISL

I do however wonder why they included the file photo of the Lufthansa A380? - I do get the feeling the DM hate the super double-decked Airbus as they have run stories about almost every A380 incident in the past year or two and I wouldn't be surprised if, deep down, they'd love one to crash, especially if it were a Qantas one. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search. ... ase=qantas
The Trump Presidency

On the positive side neoliberalism is dying, inc[…]

The Northern Irish thread

She'll have to make 98 or 103 in order to out[…]

Labour, Generally.

If you'd won the argument, you'd be in Downing Str[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Johnson went to Brussels to agree to accept the […]