Discussion of the more serious side of the Mail's agenda
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Waterstones wrote:So what if she is killed? she made her bed she better lie in it.
Please tell us this is a clumsy attempt at irony.
By Andy McDandy
I wonder if Waterstones watched the last series of "Black Mirror".

One episode - "White Bear" - told the story of a confused (and amnesiac) woman subjected to a day from hell, being constantly stalked, attacked and threatened by seemingly implacable and unfathomable enemies while other people just stood by and watched her plight, or filmed it. The reveal was that she was in fact a Maxine Carr/Myra Hindley type character, who was subjected to this torture every day, as punishment for her involvement in a particularly horrible child murder. She would feel just as helpless and terrified as her victim, for the rest of her life. The people tormenting her were actors/guards, the people filming her members of the public who paid for the privilege. At the end of each day, her past was revealed to her, and then her memory wiped so the process would begin again the next day. The final shot indicated that this had been going on for a very long time.

After it came out, IMDB was full of people saying 'yeah, we should do that' - missing the point that the murderer actually didn't stand a chance at rehabilitation. OK, you might say, in some cases there should be no chance of release, some crimes are that awful. But even so, the memory wiping meant that essentially the murderer didn't know who she was or what she had done save for five minutes at the end of each day, and then it was reset time. The process was shown to be emotionally draining for the guards/actors, and the only people getting any benefit from it were the mob, who got the chance to play out the role of the woman in the original murder (looking on and filming the carnage), all in a safe and controlled environment.

The point being, the urge for vengeance, while understandable, is not healthy. It accomplishes nothing. Taken to its obvious conclusion, what if the friends/family of the pariah take revenge on the lynch mob? Do we go back to vendetta and weregild?
By Fozzy
Waterstones wrote:So what if she is killed? she made her bed she better lie in it.
I take it, therefore, that you're fine with the woman who went round with a couple of her brave mates and beat up a local paedophile, boasting afterwards about how she'd stamped on this head? Only it turned out that he was completely innocent of any crime whatsoever. Oops.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote: The point being, the urge for vengeance, while understandable, is not healthy. It accomplishes nothing. Taken to its obvious conclusion, what if the friends/family of the pariah take revenge on the lynch mob? Do we go back to vendetta and weregild?
Turning our backs on lynchmob justice began to be reflected in Europe's judicial systems and culture after a few thousands years of experience. It always amuses me that the hanging and flogging brigade pretend they are somehow promoting some new serious alternative way of doing business.
Last edited by youngian on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Obese decoys will be used to help smuggle Baby P's mother out of prison after she ballooned to 22STONE while inside
After five years behind bars, prison and probation bosses are likely to use subterfuge to stop the 32-year-old being photographed, traced and attacked by vigilantes when she leaves 'within days'.
'It will be difficult to get her out without being seen, but there are ways and means,' a Probation Service source told the Daily Mirror.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2hJaC8mMR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Stalker who terrorised woman for two years is freed from court... and allowed to live NEXT DOOR

The comments below have been moderated in advance.
This is a complete perversion of common sense and justice. He should be removed immediately and made to live in another town many miles away - after he spends his allotted time in prison. 33
What a joke our law is, should have just got someone to sort him out, I wonder why we have the police and courts for this to happen. 21

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2hK9adny2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
I can see the victim's viewpoint, but there are no easy answers here.
On one occasion she came home to find Blee screaming at her and making animal noises.
When asked by police why he kept following her, he said: ‘I don’t know why, there is something wrong with me but I don’t know what. I can’t stop myself.’
Dieter Kehler, defending, said Blee found it hard to make friends or interact with people.
Relocating someone who doesn't seem capable of living independently doesn't strike me as a good idea. And if he doesn't stop, he'll surely be locked up next time.
By Esqui
Waterstones wrote:Let's face it Mailwatch are worried about Baby P's mum because she is a Labour voter.
My only concern is that vigilantes will think they know better than the justice system and try and hunt her down and kill her. 'But where's the problem in that?' you say. Tracey Connelly was convicted of allowing a child to die - essentially that she stood back and did nothing. It's a disgusting thing to do, i don't disagree. But that doesn't mean that she was the one torturing the child. The courts and probation service are satisfied that she's not a threat to small children - or anyone.

What point is there in revenge? Connelly will be forevermore on licence and watched heavily by police. She will probably never get a proper job, will find it near impossible to have another relationship and there will probably restrictions on where she can go. I don't think that constant worrying that a bunch of idiots are going to turn up at her door and kill her will help.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly losing sleep over it. But i do believe that criminals who are no longer dangerous to the public should have an attempt to rehabilitate them into society. And that's a hard belief to hold: my ex was imprisoned for conspiracy to murder in 2010 and a large part of me would love him never to come out. But my brain says that he should have a chance. As with any case, there's always more to the story than becomes public. And if the people inside the justice system, who know her inside out, say she can safely be released under a new identity, I'm going to believe them far more than a bunch of armchair warriors who read it in the Sun.

By Daley Mayle
Yep, Barker is still in prison on a 12 year term and his brother was released but was returned to jail.
Owen was jailed indefinitely with a minimum three-year term, but later on appeal that was changed to a fixed six-year term. He was freed in August 2011 but has since been recalled to prison.
But it appears he will soon be released
And if the mother fails her parole term it's back toprison
Connelly will remain on licence for the rest of her life and if she breaches any of the conditions, she would most likely be recalled to custody.

Conditions can include curfews, restrictions on movements and frequent meetings with an offender manager, said a Ministry of Justice spokesma
Labour, Generally.

I suspect this has come about becasue the trigger […]

Mark Francois MP

I would love to know how both the BBC and ITV ju[…]

GE 2020

You've a knack for getting right to the heart of t[…]

The Mail & Climate Change

Mailites fling abuse at a 16 year old girl again[…]