Discussion of the more serious side of the Mail's agenda
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
https://www.thenation.com/article/this- ... -thompson/

Not sure where else to put this, but a good article on the rise of the alt-right and the angry tendency.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:17 am
https://www.thenation.com/article/this- ... -thompson/

Not sure where else to put this, but a good article on the rise of the alt-right and the angry tendency.

The biker outsiders were a phenomenon among ex-serviceman in the late 40s which suggest that the land of the free has always confined sections of its population to the scrap heap to fend for themselves.

An article along similar lines drawing Trump parallels with George Wallace's populist campaign 50 years ago
viewtopic.php?p=491021#p491021
By Andy McDandy
I was drawn to the section saying that those who feel abandoned vote almost out of retaliation. Drew some parallels with some other things I've read over the years. Long story short, a sense of exclusion is the real festering danger in society.
By Andy McDandy
My girlfriend's family hail from rural Leicestershire - kipper central (although they're not). It's an affluent area, nice cars and houses, relatively low cost of living. Probably a lovely place to raise a family. But people there feel overlooked. Wrong side of the M1, and nary a mention in the wider world. Plus people with accents in the pubs while your kid's on the dole.

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:29 pm
My girlfriend's family hail from rural Leicestershire - kipper central (although they're not). It's an affluent area, nice cars and houses, relatively low cost of living. Probably a lovely place to raise a family. But people there feel overlooked. Wrong side of the M1, and nary a mention in the wider world. Plus people with accents in the pubs while your kid's on the dole.
Strange one Leicestershire - being born and bred, and still here! County staunchly Tory and Leicester with only one council seat not held by Labour. On one hand you have the "traditional" shire Tory landowners, ride with the Quorn (local hunt m'lud), etc, then you have the multiculturalism of Leicester. The real overlooked bit is around Coalville (my birthplace), as its name suggests was centre of Leicestershire coalfield and local economy totally dependent on mining, but once the pits shut everything went into total decline, there was EU money available, but there was neither the will, or ability to actually apply and use it. And now everyone just seems to fester but it never really comes to the surface, but could become a breeding ground for something more nasty

By lambswool
Membership Days
Small world. Although my father was Welsh and I’ve lived for most of my life in South Wales, my mother’s family hail from Coalville. Some of them came to her funeral last week.

What you’ve just written, Watchman, more or less sums up what I’ve heard from them over the last few years.
Labour, Generally.

I suspect this has come about becasue the trigger […]

Mark Francois MP

I would love to know how both the BBC and ITV ju[…]

GE 2020

You've a knack for getting right to the heart of t[…]

The Mail & Climate Change

Mailites fling abuse at a 16 year old girl again[…]