:grinning: 100 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Yeh the Scots and Irish are allowed to celebrate their day!

Although I doubt if there is a shortage of Irish toecurling at Leprachaum hats or Scots hiding their faces at the White Heather Club. Likewise shitty cardboard dragons and Beefeaters are not really my cup of tea (as we say in England).

Just posted some St George's Day nonsense on the Cameron thread in which the best our esteemed PM can come up to celebrate English achievement is to bang on about pasties and Man Utd.
By SoulBoy
Membership Days Posts
Daley Mayle wrote:I think St George's Day should be made a national Bank Holiday. The fact that 23 April also happens to be my birthday is a mere coincidence and any suggestion otherwise of the suggestion being self-serving is a foul calumny.
A plan that would be only slightly spoilt by not living in England.

Oh, and don't think that fishing for Happy Birthdays is going to work around these parts...
By moonkatt
Membership Days Membership Days
St George's day is a big day for the regiment I used to be in, as it was the day they formed in their current manifestation. It used to be good fun, there would be loads of stuff going on around the barracks and families were involved too. The weather was quite often nice (especially in Germany) and of course there would be trouble, as there is when you mix alcohol with troops, but on the whole it was a good day out.

Since leaving the forces over a decade ago now (this makes me feel old), the only time I've been aware of something going on in the city was the time riot police had to separate the Brum city supporters from another group (might have been the baggies) having a massive fight in town. I know some places put stuff on, but it's the sheer aggression coming from people about it all that you HAVE to celebrate it because they make a massive things about St Patrick's day and that's for the IRISH and you should be out getting pissed to show how OH SO FUCKING PROUD you are of being English. Just comes across as pathetic to me now.
By SoulBoy
Membership Days Posts
I'm going in to town shortly. I fully intend to do a little clipboard-wielding in the general direction of anybody daring to display this vile reminder of our Imperialist past.

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
SoulBoy wrote:
Daley Mayle wrote:I think St George's Day should be made a national Bank Holiday. The fact that 23 April also happens to be my birthday is a mere coincidence and any suggestion otherwise of the suggestion being self-serving is a foul calumny.

Oh, and don't think that fishing for Happy Birthdays is going to work around these parts...
As if.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Wetherspoon pub is decorated with Union Jacks because the flag of St George 'might offend people'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... eople.html

Weheey! I thought we weren't going to get one this year!

The accuser:
Dental nurse Sam Gurney, 29, said she was 'gobsmacked' after she saw the St George's Day promotion while drinking with friends at the JD Wetherspoon pub.

She said: 'Being quite a patriotic person, I thought "Oh my God, why have they got the Union Jack instead of the St George?"

'I asked the manager and she said, "don’t go there". Apparently it was the Union Jack or nothing - I was completely gobsmacked.

'She said the policy was there because of fears the St George’s flag might offend people, which is just political correctness gone mad.

'It annoys me because when it was St Patrick’s Day, they made a big deal out of it flying Irish flags, hats and shamrocks but yet we can’t celebrate our national day.

'The Union Jack doesn’t make sense as Scotland are voting to break away. I’m pretty sure they won’t be flying it on St Andrew’s Day or St David’s Day.'

The accused:
Pub manager Hayley Bates said she understands why drinkers have questioned the decision to use the Union Jack, but said the pub had always used those flags.

She said: 'I can see her point, but we have always used the Union Jack to celebrate St George’s Day and it has never been an issue before.

'She started questioning it and she also said we should make a bigger deal out of St George’s Day than St Patrick’s, which I agree with.

'But I’ve been at Wetherspoons for eight years and nothing has changed in that time.'

A JD Wetherspoon spokeswoman denied the Union Jack flags were put up through fear of offending customers with the English national flag.

She said: 'They have got St George's flags up now, they were put up today.

'It was something which was done every year, it was the decorations they always had.

'Nobody had ever pointed it out before, so now they have changed the decorations. We like to please our customers.'

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:Wetherspoon pub is decorated with Union Jacks because the flag of St George 'might offend people'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... eople.html
But some people DO know how to celebrate St George's Day!
Which includes a man in a Union Jack waistcoat.
Jeremy Corbyn.

Progress: after Corbyn's speech this morning, it[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

BREXIT BOMBSHELL: Terrified EU to be forced in[…]

The Sun

"It's terrible seeing foreign rich people try[…]

Nigel Farage

Farage can't drive in case his wheel nuts are tamp[…]