Discussion of the more serious side of the Mail's agenda
:grinning: 100 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
 
By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
#368419
croissantfever wrote:The radio yesterday morning, here in Bergen, referred to St. Georges day as the national day of Britain, which confused me for a couple of minutes. To be fair, it was probably to make up for the fact that Norwegians habitually refer to everyone from Britain as English. I've given up explaining the difference and just why I prefer to refer to myself as British and just embraced it now.
Just call em Swedes - they love that.
By croissantfever
Membership Days
#368484
Bones McCoy wrote:
croissantfever wrote:The radio yesterday morning, here in Bergen, referred to St. Georges day as the national day of Britain, which confused me for a couple of minutes. To be fair, it was probably to make up for the fact that Norwegians habitually refer to everyone from Britain as English. I've given up explaining the difference and just why I prefer to refer to myself as British and just embraced it now.
Just call em Swedes - they love that.
Don't I just know it :twisted:
By ACG
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#368546
My dad (who, I should point out, was taking the piss) spent a moment challenging me to guess what day it was last Wednesday. I honestly completely bloody forgot about St George and guessed Shakespeare's birthday.

We really should make more of a deal of that nationally, it's got a far better connection to England and English heritage and a lot more to actually base a celebration around.
 
By Killer Whale
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#368548
ACG wrote:My dad (who, I should point out, was taking the piss) spent a moment challenging me to guess what day it was last Wednesday. I honestly completely bloody forgot about St George and guessed Shakespeare's birthday.

We really should make more of a deal of that nationally, it's got a far better connection to England and English heritage and a lot more to actually base a celebration around.
Shakespeare's actual birthday is not known.
By ACG
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#368549
Killer Whale wrote:
ACG wrote:My dad (who, I should point out, was taking the piss) spent a moment challenging me to guess what day it was last Wednesday. I honestly completely bloody forgot about St George and guessed Shakespeare's birthday.

We really should make more of a deal of that nationally, it's got a far better connection to England and English heritage and a lot more to actually base a celebration around.
Shakespeare's actual birthday is not known.
True, but the 23rd is generally used as such.
By SoulBoy
Membership Days Posts
#368703
Get outta my pub': Group of friends wearing patriotic outfits are thrown out of bar because staff mistook them for far right EDL gang on St George's Day

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... n-pub.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 
By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#368770
SoulBoy wrote:Get outta my pub': Group of friends wearing patriotic outfits are thrown out of bar because staff mistook them for far right EDL gang on St George's Day
The men came in dressed the same, they were asked if they were members and they got abusive.
‘They shouted a lot, walked out, bashed on the windows.
 
By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#368817
Killer Whale wrote:
ACG wrote:My dad (who, I should point out, was taking the piss) spent a moment challenging me to guess what day it was last Wednesday. I honestly completely bloody forgot about St George and guessed Shakespeare's birthday.

We really should make more of a deal of that nationally, it's got a far better connection to England and English heritage and a lot more to actually base a celebration around.
Shakespeare's actual birthday is not known.

But his deathday is known, unfortunately it was on 23rd April. I hope his friends and family had kept the receipts for the birthday presents.
 
By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#410231
Council bans Indian food stall from St George's Day event because it 'only wanted English food'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... s-Day.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stall-owner Tania Rahman, 27, was invited to take part in the celebrations
But then Salisbury Council told her food wasn't English enough for event
She called move 'discriminatory' and said St George was born in Palestine
And locals were also left furious forcing council to do embarasing U-turn
Oh dear.
 
By youngian
Membership Days Posts
#410232
Seems to be some support for this PC gone mad at the council
null, about 16 hours ago
A poorly worded response but if I was going to a St George ' s Day event, I would want to see traditional hog roast, pie and mash and maybe fish and chips. I wouldn't expect a curry stall to be there and I love curries. It's just not the theme of the event.

VDog, London, United Kingdom, about 16 hours ago
I love curry, but at a St George's day event? Curry is very popular and is definitely now a very British dish, it is not English. Curry does not suit the occasion.

Johnson's deal, if it exists, is going to be harde[…]

The LibDems, generally

So, the idea of chucking A50 in the bin, and n[…]

Boris Johnson

Johnson would struggle to hold his own with the Mr[…]

The Sun

Cameron is a Tory: What do you expect aside form […]