Discussion of the more serious side of the Mail's agenda
:grinning: 100 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Daley Mayle wrote:Council bans Indian food stall from St George's Day event because it 'only wanted English food'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... s-Day.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stall-owner Tania Rahman, 27, was invited to take part in the celebrations
But then Salisbury Council told her food wasn't English enough for event
She called move 'discriminatory' and said St George was born in Palestine
And locals were also left furious forcing council to do embarasing U-turn
Oh dear.
Is it one of them Kipper Caahnils?

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
The patriotic English teachers discussed on the UKIP thread are my St George's Day pin up for this year

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3XZL88lcc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A credit to those standing up to the traitors that wish to denigrate our great language
By Jollity
Membership Days Membership Days
I think fish and chips is originally a foreign idea too, and the first fish and chips stall was run by dirty immigrant asylum seekers taking YOUR jobs (or, your Victorian ancestors' jobs). And potatoes may have integrated well into English society and dinners, but they wouldn't have been anywhere near Europe during St. George's time.

Also, St. George was either, Turkish, Syrian or Lebanese, depending on who you ask (though the country boundaries would have been very different back then), so perhaps stalls should serve Middle Eastern fare to reflect historical accuracy.

By Killer Whale
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Jollity wrote: Also, St. George was either, Turkish, Syrian or Lebanese, depending on who you ask (though the country boundaries would have been very different back then), so perhaps stalls should serve Middle Eastern fare to reflect historical accuracy.
See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Geor ... c_cultures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By Silkyman
Membership Days Posts
Jollity wrote:I think fish and chips is originally a foreign idea too, and the first fish and chips stall was run by dirty immigrant asylum seekers taking YOUR jobs (or, your Victorian ancestors' jobs). And potatoes may have integrated well into English society and dinners, but they wouldn't have been anywhere near Europe during St. George's time.

Also, St. George was either, Turkish, Syrian or Lebanese, depending on who you ask (though the country boundaries would have been very different back then), so perhaps stalls should serve Middle Eastern fare to reflect historical accuracy.
Jewish refugees from Portugal and Spain brought the fried fish to the South in the 16th century and chips were turning up in the north. According to wiki it's not clear who first merged the two but the first chippy was in Oldham.

So fuck off with yer fancy foreign muck.
By Silkyman
Membership Days Posts
I was thoroughly disgusted to have CBeebies on the telly and my four year old be ACCOSTED by a programme talking about St George's day.

Needless to say, I put my foot through the TV and sent those racist right-wing, leftie lentilknitters the bill.

I thought this sort of thing had been BANNED by the muslamic liebour governments...

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
He's a bit of a lazy generic patron saint to have.
St George is still venerated in a large number of places, by followers of particular occupations and sufferers from certain diseases. George is the patron saint of Aragon, Catalonia, Georgia, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, Germany and Greece; and of Moscow, Istanbul, Genoa and Venice (second to St Mark). He is patron of soldiers, cavalry and chivalry; of farmers and field workers, Boy Scouts and butchers; of horses, riders and saddlers; and of sufferers from leprosy, plague and syphilis
http://www.britannia.com/history/stgeorge.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would plump for commemorating King Alfred for an English national day if I could be bothered to care, not that such fuss and bother about these things is very English anyway. I will jump on the bandwagon to establish an English national anthem, the less singing of God save the Queen at events can only be a good thing.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:He's a bit of a lazy generic patron saint to have.
St George is still venerated in a large number of places, by followers of particular occupations and sufferers from certain diseases. George is the patron saint of Aragon, Catalonia, Georgia, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, Germany and Greece; and of Moscow, Istanbul, Genoa and Venice (second to St Mark). He is patron of soldiers, cavalry and chivalry; of farmers and field workers, Boy Scouts and butchers; of horses, riders and saddlers; and of sufferers from leprosy, plague and syphilis
http://www.britannia.com/history/stgeorge.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would plump for commemorating King Alfred for an English national day if I could be bothered to care, not that such fuss and bother about these things is very English anyway. I will jump on the bandwagon to establish an English national anthem, the less singing of God save the Queen at events can only be a good thing.
Jerusalem, celebrating a middle eastern migrant coming over here (You know the rest)
Boris Johnson

To be fair to Corbyn, I wouldn't blame him for a s[…]

The LibDems, generally

This policy is OK, but the refusal to work with La[…]

Johnson's deal, if it exists, is going to be harde[…]

The Sun

Cameron is a Tory: What do you expect aside form […]