•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Hands up, I hadn't bargained with this and it being the upshot of 'mere having had enough at long last.

Can we expect a full 180 and GG Breaking the news to May that his continued support is contingent upon a final vote?

It would be a tough sell to the gammerati but the alternative makes no business sense. A 16% drop in GDP would be amplified in the fall in advertising revenues (such is the way in recessions. Plus there is always the saving to be made on rancid columnists and the legal bills they rack up.

We are in for a fun ride, eh readers?

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Doesn't Dacre famously hate Greig's guts, and vice versa?

I get the feeling Greig might like nothing better as a parting shot than taking Dacre's beloved Brexit away from him. Backed by the remain supporting Lord Rothermere.

By Boiler
Kreuzberger wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:15 pm
It'll be nearly another six months before Dacre hands the reins over to Greig, by which time Brexit will be all but done and dusted in that we'll be crashing out on WTO terms.

I strongly suspect that what matters more than the paper's stance is its bottom line - so I expect more of the same. I cannot foresee any sort of a Damascene conversion whatsoever occurring.

Carry on.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:53 pm
You think they'll have a phased handover? In which case, who'll get the MoS job?
Ted Verity, the deputy editor of the Mail, will take control of MOS, it is being reported.

He'll just do what is required of him. He is a newspaper man rather than a zealot on a mission. The watch word here is "detoxify" and that can only come from the top, and, by definition, that means that Dacre is out of the picture for good.

By MisterMuncher
Boiler wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:37 pm
Kreuzberger wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:15 pm
It'll be nearly another six months before Dacre hands the reins over to Greig, by which time Brexit will be all but done and dusted in that we'll be crashing out on WTO terms.

I strongly suspect that what matters more than the paper's stance is its bottom line - so I expect more of the same. I cannot foresee any sort of a Damascene conversion whatsoever occurring.

Carry on.
The default Mail (and, come to it, Mail reader) position is to whine bitterly about the state of the world, and blame everyone but themselves. It'd be hard to swing that with a shit-sandwich Brexit and Dacre. Greig, however, can still give good "I told you so".

Does anyone here really think they're not cynical enough to pull that?

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
There must be a fair number of he "Rightminds" suddenly fearing the "benefits of a leaner slimmer workplace".

Whatever happened to the "Mail on Sunday is a completely different publication" now their editorial staff can swap seats like a game of musical chairs.
mattomac liked this

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Zelda West-Meads
Liz Jones
Peter Hitchens

Those are the only 3 I'm aware of.

This is significant:

I still find it very hard to believe their editorial policy can just do a complete U-turn. They're a business at the end of the day. Their core readership are rabid Brexiters. They simply cannot suddenly became a Remain supporting newspaper, surely?
Last edited by Safe_Timber_Man on Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

By bluebellnutter
Dacre's basically been made "Chief commandant for life" then and is actually just being ignored while he clings to whatever residue of influence he has left.

By Zuriblue
So basically he's like General Salazar.

Or Astfgl for those who, like me, are Pterry fans. https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Astfgl
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Indeed. If the shit fits, wear it - as I believe S[…]

David Liddington?

Men in suits. French doors. Glass of whisky an[…]

This could only get better if a small-person clow[…]

Sarah Vine aka Mrs Gove

First Lady MacBeth. FTFY - as I believe you tech[…]