•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:30 am
It also begs the question - Did Dacre 'step aside' by choice?
The demographics are against a Dacre style Mail even sustaining its current circulation and journalistically Brexit fuck up is the hottest copy in town. Glover, Vine and Letts blaming Remoaner traitors is not going to cut it much longer with the readers who are not mad (my mum was a Mail reading Remainer).

Rothermere may well be like Steve Coogan's description of Murdoch as a pragmatic businessman who would happily print nice things about people if it made money. "Whereas as Dacre's just a cunt," Coogan added.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Hmmm. Interesting. Fascinating times ahead. Any change in editorial policy will be slow and phased, though, I'm assuming. They can't literally switch over night so maybe it'll be a Drip effect to soften the readership up over time before officially taking a Remain position.

Or...absolutely naff all will change, which is my initial thought. But without Dacre breathing now Greig's neck and Greig being a Remainer I can't see how that would work. Unless Greig is happy to completely sell out just so he gets the top job.

By Boiler
youngian wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:51 am
The demographics are against a Dacre style Mail even sustaining its current circulation and journalistically Brexit fuck up is the hottest copy in town.
Why? There's plenty of people in their 30s and 40s who hold the sort of views that chime with the Mail's stance. Abers found that out the hard way.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
The biggest hit they may face is to MailOnline. If that starts to soften and begins to get all Remainy then it will no longer be the go-to website for the Far/Alt Right to share the articles and link/reference them in other areas of the internet. Less clicks, less advertising revenue etc. This may be good news for Breitbart.

Having said that, despite the hardcore Brexiters and racists who use the MailOnline, it does have a hell of a lot of 'normal' people who visit it for the celeb gossip etc. It's still a gargantuan money machine so they'll be fine.

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
The Dai-ly Brexpress hasn't changed since being bought by the Remain supporting Trinity Mirror.

Papers are run by hard-nosed business people, they know their readership and demographic and will gives their readers want they want to read.

I'd guess there will be less spittle-flecked headlines and Downfall-style rants in the leader columns.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Daley Mayle wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:47 am
Papers are run by hard-nosed business people, they know their readership and demographic and will gives their readers want they want to read.

Which is why the Greig appointment was a surprise. Editors aren't usually dutiful hacks and want to stamp their mark.
Boris Johnson

Can't think of any of his predecessors running awa[…]

Johnson's deal, if it exists, is going to be harde[…]

The LibDems, generally

So, the idea of chucking A50 in the bin, and n[…]

The Sun

Cameron is a Tory: What do you expect aside form […]